Compass I420

Suzibeck

I just got this seat for 50% off from Albee Baby. For the price, it is an excellent seat. However, if I had to pay full price, I think I'd prefer the Chicco KeyFit.

The base installs in my Olds Silhouette van with the seat belt in the captain's chair very easily and is rock solid. I was able to adjust the recline appropriately. Uninstalling the base was a whole different story! The lock-off is really hard to open. I called Compass CS and they recommended that I spray WD40 into the spring mechanism and open and close it several times to loosen it up. It didn't loosen up that I could tell. Not a big deal as we won't often, if ever, remove the base from the van. This could be an issue for those who wish to move the base often and need to use the seatbelt for installation.

The base installs very easily with LATCH in our Jetta, but I think I'll need a pool noodle or two to get the proper recline. Since we are not likely to use this car for the baby, I don't know that I'll even mess with it. It is cold out there so I didn't mess with it for long. Maybe in the spring I'll give it another try. I like the LATCH clips, like the ones that are on Britax seats, very easy to use!

I love how lightweight the carrier is. It is fully lined in EPS foam and has comfort padding as well. The cover is nicely padded but is not very soft. I fear it may be hot in warm weather. The 5pt harness is nice and thick and does not bunch up in the buckle tongues. It tightens and loosens quite easily with the front adjuster. It only has two harness slots, that easily adjust by pulling a knob on the back of the seat and either raising or lowering it. This works very easily.

I'd like to see the harness be either infanite adjust or at least have 3 slots for a better fit. The bottom slot is rather low, about 5 inches, so it will be good for small babies.

For now, the seat has been moved to our storage area to await the arrival of our baby. I think I will enjoy using this seat. The lightweight carrier is a huge plus for me, and the biggest reason, other than the price, that I went with the Compass over the KeyFit.

ADS

SillyLily

How much room does this seat take up from front to back? Is a larger/longer seat? Or does it seem fairly short?

I am looking at infant seats (still) for my friend for her Toyota Tacoma access cab pickup and we are having problems finding something short enough to fit in the back seat.

Suzibeck

Hi!
I was thinking of ordering the red one - seems like a good seat with the full EPS liner. Could you tell me the DOM for the seat you got? I found this: http://www.800bucklup.org/parent/compass.html and I just don't want to get a seat manufactured during that time period.

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this, I had not seen it. Mine was manufactured on 5/13/06 so I'm calling for the kit. I hope they are quick about sending it out!

Suzibeck

How much room does this seat take up from front to back? Is a larger/longer seat? Or does it seem fairly short?

I am looking at infant seats (still) for my friend for her Toyota Tacoma access cab pickup and we are having problems finding something short enough to fit in the back seat.

It isn't super short, it is fine in the van, I can have my seat back as far as usual, but in the Jetta it really pushes the front seat up too far and that is without proper recline. I think the baby just won't ever ride in the Jetta.

javafinch

What do you think about that? Is that kind of 'low' to sell seats on a website that have a known issue and not inform the buyer?

I actually did order one, but I put in the comments section that if it was a seat from those dates, to just cancel my order. I'm not sure I want to deal with having to put a kit on it. I know with our Super Elite we had to do an after-market 'kit' on the straps and ever since it was SUCH a pain to adjust them.

Bummer! I was really hoping to get this seat.

SillyLily

It isn't super short, it is fine in the van, I can have my seat back as far as usual, but in the Jetta it really pushes the front seat up too far and that is without proper recline. I think the baby just won't ever ride in the Jetta.

Thank you for the info. I will probably end up going with the Chicco Keyfit, since it seems pretty short.

Suzibeck

What do you think about that? Is that kind of 'low' to sell seats on a website that have a known issue and not inform the buyer?

I'm not sure when the recall came out. They are not supposed to sell recalled seats without first fixing the recall, at least that is what I thought. At this point, I'm just hoping the fix kit arrives quickly. My one call to Compass CS earlier was answered right away, no sitting on hold for 20+ minutes, so I hope they will prove fast on this.

javafinch

I got mine today. I noticed some white spots on it - do you think these are anything to be concerned about? They're on the base on the side that faces the seat.

I'm a bit surprised that Albee Baby doesn't give any kind of alert to customers buying this that there is that safety advisory? I'm guessing most people who buy it then no nothing about it and don't order the repair kit - seems unethical to me ??

Also, could you tell me where the manual is? I looked everywhere and couldn't find one.

Otherwise, the seat materials seem very nice. MUCH nicer than the junky Graco Snugrides I felt in Target (felt very cheap with no padding to me)

Feb007.jpg

Suzibeck

It sounds like we got the same seat, even made on the same day, lol. I :love: it! I thought the same thing about white/grey. I got a Baby Trend Snap and Go for it today. It isn't listed as compatable, but I find I can get it pretty darn secure as long as I make the strap nice and tight. It isn't a simple click in place, but it doesn't take a lot of time to buckle it in tight. I took the seat with me to Babies R Us today to try it out.

When I called Compass they told me they would sent the fix kit right out, so hopefully it will be here any day. I've been very pleased with their CS and quality. I sure hope the TrueFit gets good reviews. If so, that will be my next seat.

That does bother me that Albee Baby isn't giving notice of the recall. I thought they leagally couldn't sell a recalled seat that wasn't repaired already. Is it possible that these seats are already fixed? I looked at the underside where the crotch buckle in held in and it looks very secure. I'm anxious to get the kit to see what is up, I have not looked at the pic on their website.

The manual is on the very bottom of the carrier. You have to take it out of the base and turn it upside down to find it. It has a very nice hard plastic cover to hold it in place, so it won't be easily lost.

Suzibeck

I got my fix kit today, it took 4 days and one of those was a federal holiday, so no mail. I'd say that is pretty darn good CS!:)

The fix kit is a screwdriver! :ROTFLMAO: Um, I think most people would have one of those around the house, but I guess they have to cover themselves. Once I saw the pictures, I could tell that my seat was not affected. That could mean it got put in correctly or it could mean that Albee Baby fixed it before shipping it to me. Oh well, now we have another screw driver in our house and we know the seat is fixed.

javafinch

OMG! LOL - that's too funny! I called for my fix kit today. So I guess I'll get a new screwdriver, too. Hopefully a Phillips, since we could use another ;)

I also talked to them about the white marks and they said all their seats (bases?) had them and it was just cosmetic.

Still, though, I called Albee Baby to tell them about it, ask if they had fixed it, and had a hard time communicating with the guy on the phone. Basically I guess I 'informed' him of the safety advisory and he thanked me - I'm not sure he'll follow up on anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC