riding in a motorcoach

B

bdsmom

i am going on a cruise with my 7 month old in 2 months. There are excursions and airport transfers in a motorcoach bus. but how do I use a carseat - they usually do not have seatbelts? what about seatbelts/carseats for riding on buses in general or cabs? Thanks! Nancy, mom of Ben (7months)

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Full size buses often do not have seatbelts, though some do. If not, there isn't much you can do but rely on the sheer size of the bus and training of the driver to keep you safe.

Many transfer services use smaller buses or 15-passenger vans. These will almost always have seatbelt systems adequate for child seat installation. A bigger risk will be to the adults or kids in boosters, as some of these vehicles may lack shoulder belts and adequate head support to prevent whiplash injuries.

Unless you get a relic, all cabs will have lap or 3-point belts and many are new enough to have LATCH, too.

Some cab and limo services will even include boosters, free or for a small fee.

U

Unregistered

It also depends on where you go and which company is handling the excursions. Recently, in Mazatlan, I found that all the taxis were new. But none had seatbelts in the back! Apparently, almost all taxi drivers had covered their backseat with a very nice and clean seat cover, but when installing they either removed or covered the seat belts. I searched and searched and the cab driver searched and searched, but we couldn't find any complete seat belts. Yuck. I drove my husband crazy by moving from cab to cab.

About busses, most of the excursions we have gone on have been with large busses (not van style), but there are always exceptions. Transportation for excursions is the only negative for me when cruising -- we love the rest of it!

U

Unregistered

just returned from cruise in May

Hi, I thought I would give you some insight on what we just went through with our 3yr old on a cruise. We had excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. The bus they put us on in Grand Cayman was a airport type shuttle bus and we were packed like sardines. A couple had a 5 month old and she had to sit in the front seat and hold her child. There is no way they could have added carseats. We held my son and my husband's knees were to his chest. It was air conditioned but very uncomfortable, and a lot of the excursion was spent in this bus.

In Cozumel, the bus transfers were much nicer. We still held our son, but we probably could have put him in a seat or taken a car seat with us. We have taken bus excursions on another type of bus, so I would assume that most of the excursions are similar. It really just depends on where you go and what type of excursion you take.

Websites that are good for families cruising are www.cruisemates.com and www.cruisecritics.com. There are message boards for family cruises with a lot of information.

Hope you don't mind me butting in.

Susan

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC