Seatbelt misuse on Wife Swap

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I was wathcing my TIVO shows last night and on Wife Swap the majicians families kid put the seatbelt on and put the shoulder srap behind thier backs, so sad :(.

ADS

minismom

can someone explain to me what happens in a crash if the shoulder belt is behind the person's back? I know it's a no no but I need the explanation in case someone doesn't wanna take my word for it

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
can someone explain to me what happens in a crash if the shoulder belt is behind the person's back? I know it's a no no but I need the explanation in case someone doesn't wanna take my word for it

You risk internal injury just like if you were weraring a lap only belt. Unfortinately, you do not know how severe the injuries could be until it happens. They me minor or they may be so severe they result in death. I say this as someone who personally knows someone who lost a child to a severe seatbelt injury. This is known as seatbely symdrome.

minismom

so wearing the belt with the shoulder behing the back is the same as wearing a lap only belt? it makes it harder to convince someone that it's that bad since so many cars still have lapbelts in some positions. I agree it's not safe, I'm just imagining someone arguing with me about this.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
so wearing the belt with the shoulder behing the back is the same as wearing a lap only belt? it makes it harder to convince someone that it's that bad since so many cars still have lapbelts in some positions. I agree it's not safe, I'm just imagining someone arguing with me about this.

Yes, the same as a lapbelt. It only restrains at the hips (if it fits correctly and not on the abdomen). A lap shoulder belt will restrain in 3 positons, the shoulder and hips. Unforatenately, there are still vehicles that have them. Manufacturers are requires to have a seatbelt for every seating position and sometimes that means they put a lapbelt.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Let's not forget Britney and her constant wearing of the shoulder belt under her arm (across the abdomen and ribs)...NICE :eek: Obviously the girl can't figure how to work a car seat, but a seatbelt...seriously :mad:

Kat_Momof3

Fortunately, 2009 will bring a new rule...all vehicles must have shouderbelts for all seating positions. Of course, Toyota, Honda, and a select few others were doing it a few years ago... and so many more are doing it already in 2008.

minismom

Thanks guys. My FIL never buckles up and when we bug him to do it (the car keeps beeping) he'll put it behind his back. Now that I know better I wont ket him ride with us if he doesn't use a seatbelt. I don't want him flying over us...

scatterbunny

I used to let people ride unbuckled before I knew better. I am very much a libertarian, politically, and I believed every free-thinking adult had the right to choose to be smart enough or dumb enough to buckle up. Every adult has the right to choose to live or die. I always believed in child restraint laws because those stupid adults who don't buckle up shouldn't have the right to make a decision of life or death for their child (IMO, some hardcore libertarians don't believe in child restraint laws, and I have a hard time debating them).

But after coming here and really becoming educated on crash dynamics and the forces involved in a crash (essentially, weight x speed = force) and learning about projectile dangers, I refused to let anyone ride unrestrained in any vehicle with H, dh, or me. I try to explain it to folks simply, using the weight x speed = force formula, saying that I don't want 6000 pounds of my friend's body slamming into me or H if we are in a crash. That is DEADLY force. Heck, a five pound preemie could carry 150 pounds of force in a crash. What about that spare tire? :eek:

minismom

I used to let people ride unbuckled before I knew better. I am very much a libertarian, politically, and I believed every free-thinking adult had the right to choose to be smart enough or dumb enough to buckle up. Every adult has the right to choose to live or die. I always believed in child restraint laws because those stupid adults who don't buckle up shouldn't have the right to make a decision of life or death for their child (IMO, some hardcore libertarians don't believe in child restraint laws, and I have a hard time debating them).

But after coming here and really becoming educated on crash dynamics and the forces involved in a crash (essentially, weight x speed = force) and learning about projectile dangers, I refused to let anyone ride unrestrained in any vehicle with H, dh, or me. I try to explain it to folks simply, using the weight x speed = force formula, saying that I don't want 6000 pounds of my friend's body slamming into me or H if we are in a crash. That is DEADLY force. Heck, a five pound preemie could carry 150 pounds of force in a crash. What about that spare tire? :eek:

:yeahthat: Yep, now that I know better no one rides unbuckled in my car. Plus, I worry about liability too. If seatbelts are mandatory and I'm the driver then it's my responsability. If I mess up and crash i don't want people dying on me, even if they themselves don't care.

ETA: that Irish seat belt video on Youtube is just great!

StarrNanny

I'd always been a behind the back seatbelt wearer... as a 4'6" adult who long passed the weight limit of any booster on the market, and who really probsbly should still be in one if it were not for the weight limit issue wearing a shoulder belt is not exactly comfortable. I know better now, and I ended up buying this adjuster clip, which i know some people are opposed to but is really my only choice.

as far as my passengers go, they buckle up... or walk. It helps that my car has the most annyoying seatbelt reminder ever, and once it starts it beeps very loudly ever 2 seconds until you buckle up.

Melanie

Fortunately, 2009 will bring a new rule...all vehicles must have shouderbelts for all seating positions. Of course, Toyota, Honda, and a select few others were doing it a few years ago... and so many more are doing it already in 2008.

That's awesome. It's frustrating to have a 7 pass vehicle that seats 6 safely.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

We don't have to wait for 2009 for this. :) The requirement for shoulder belts for all rear seating positions in most new vehicles in the U.S. already went into effect for the 2008 model year starting last Sept. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

We don't have to wait for 2009 for this. :) The requirement for shoulder belts for all seating positions in most new vehicles in the U.S. already went into effect for the 2008 model year starting last Sept. :thumbsup:

I'd heard the official requirement didn't come until 2009, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC