ERF misinformation from pedi??

Zabs

okay, here I am with another question from DS1s BB...

Our pedi said that it's highly recommended to keep them RF as long as possible. But she also says that there's evidence that you should turn them around when they get w/in a couple of lbs. of the limit.

Our seat's limit is 33 and she said that it's a good idea to turn him around 30/31.

Have you heard anything about this?

anyone? I figured yall would know...

I told her to keep in mind the difference in weight between clothed and unclothed...

maybe there's something I'm missing.

ADS

Wineaux

We know from Britax that they test their seats for several pounds over their stated weight limit for this very reason, and seeing as one of your kiddos is in a FPSVD which is made by Britax, I wouldn't have any problems keeping them in THAT seat right up to the weight limit, if not a hair beyond.

The Graco seat? I just don't rightly know if they test with slightly heavier dummies. Anyone know the answer to this one?

I would never trust a Dorel seat pushed right at/over the limit.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Only because some kids gain really quickly and home scales aren't always accurate. There's no reason to turn the kid early for any actual injury or seat-failure reason, just the 'forgetful parent' reason (all seats have actually been tested with a 34 or 35 pound dummy, so if your seat has a 30 or 33 pound limit, they have already built in a safety cushion for the average parent who doesn't weigh their kid daily). It took my own kid about a year to go from 31 to 33, so personally I would have ignored this ped....except wow, that is the best ped information I've ever, ever heard! :thumbsup:

amy919

Personally, I think this is a parental decision and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer. I also think it depends on other factors, like the child's age. If I had a 30 pound one year old, I'd be much more concerned about leaving them RF as long as possible.

For me, my kids are well past the age of 3 before they're even close to reaching the RF limit, so I'm lucky. I can turn them when I feel comfortable with it without having to worry about their weight as much.

Actually, I think it's pretty great that your pedi even mentioned ERF. A lot of them don't. I guess I can sort of see his concern that home scales might not be as accurate and some parents might forget to keep a close watch on their child's weight. I'm not crazy about a blanket statement to turn them at 30 or 31 pounds though, because for a lot of kids, it could take quite a while to gain that extra 2-3 pounds.

This is one of those gray areas for me and that's why I think it's a parental decision that should be based on each individual's circumstances and child. I have no interest in pushing the RF limit any more than I would consider pushing any other limit, like a 40 pound limit for a harnessed seat (which is why I won't buy one :)). I really don't care what size/weight dummy they use to test the seat and my parental decision is not to exceed what's stated on the seat, even by a pound or 2.

skaterbabs

Only because some kids gain really quickly and home scales aren't always accurate. There's no reason to turn the kid early for any actual injury or seat-failure reason, just the 'forgetful parent' reason (all seats have actually been tested with a 34 or 35 pound dummy, so if your seat has a 30 or 33 pound limit, they have already built in a safety cushion for the average parent who doesn't weigh their kid daily). It took my own kid about a year to go from 31 to 33, so personally I would have ignored this ped....except wow, that is the best ped information I've ever, ever heard! :thumbsup:

As usual, Julie said it all. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC