airplane evacuation safety

Peony

I was reading an old Conde Nast article (I think it from Dec 05 issue) today. It was about airline safety, focusing on evacuating the aircraft in an emergency, it was rather quite fascinating.

There aren't that many a year, about 30-33 in the US each year. It was very detailed article explaining what happened at various seconds if there was a fire, the slides, % of injuries, etc... In a nutshell, if you aren't off the plane in 90 seconds then you aren't getting off if there is a fire. At 100 seconds the entire cabin is usually completely engulfed in flames and a flashback (I think that was the term they used, course I'm trapped under a sleeping toddler and can't get the article) occurs.

30% of the slides/exits usually malfunction. The FAA requires during a test that 50% of the exits be blocked, because that could happen. The slides are very steep, injury can easily occur, the reporter writing the story actually fell off of one trying to escape during a test. Many people freeze at the sheer steepness of them, others injure fellow passengers by throwing carry-on luggage down them. It was estimated that about 50% of people try to take belongings with them. 30% of fatalities are from people were survived the crash, runway, mishap, etc... but died from injuries trying to get off or didn't make it out in time. Most flight crew have never had first hand experience in a full evacuation test. Although they do try to make sure that the instructors who train the attendants have gone through a simulation... that is really comforting. :rolleyes: Many of the passengers who have gone though a evacuation say that the crew didn't know what to do, never gave out warnings about not carrying belonging, etc... The article did have a few tips that I will do from now on. Counting the rows in each direction to exits so you can feel your way out. Not wearing sandals, burns on feet, etc...

They had a detailed pic of the Toronto plane in 05 that crashed off the runway, Out of 8 exits, only 4 were usable, 3 of those were at the front of the aircraft, none in the middle and one in the rear. People were jumping over seats trying to find an exit that worked, some ended up having to jump out of doors that had opened but the slide didn't inflate.

So I'm reading this article and several questions popped into mind. What do you do while traveling with children? The stance for exiting via the slide are jumping down feet fist in a tuck position, would you tuck with a child between your legs and child, hoping to take most of the force, or basically just throw the child out the door and hope they don't fall off? Another thought that popped into my mind was if I was by myself and had both DD's, could I even get them out of their carseats and out the door in enough time? :( It's not like you can flag someone down to help, it would be complete and utter chaos.

I know that the chances of actually being in an airplane evacuation are very slim, but it never hurts to be aware. ;)

ADS

minismom

I saw something similar on 60 minutes once and this guys was recommending getting a smoke hood. Dh went online right away and bought 3 and we always fly with them and keep them handy.... And when I book seats I'll pick one near an emergency exit if I have a choice.

TXAggieTech

We take care to notice the exits and try to sit as close as possible. If we don't have kids with us and are in coach we usually are in the exit row. Either way I can usually tell you who all is around me and if there is anyone old or with small children. I would hope that someone next to you would help with the children if you were alone.

I don't know what they would say to do with the children on the slide. Either way I don't know that I could physically make myself let them go alone on the slide.

Jordynsmama

Umm I dont travel by plane :shrug-shoulders:

I really don't after reading that:)

I did a million times as a kid and teen, but nope, never again thanks

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm not sure I could say with any degree of certainty exactly what I'd do in that kind of situation...really, I don't think anyone can as you just never know and every situation is different...but I'm thinking that if I had my child with me and he was harnessed in a seat the quickest way to extract him and safest way to eject him from the plane *might* be to just unbuckle the seatbelt and keep him in his car seat. Just like in a car impact the car seat offers protection...so I'd guess that as he tumbled/slid/whatever down the slide (even if I were trying to hold it) he might have more protection harnessed in his car seat then just being held by me or being tossed out on his own.

Last edited:

NVMBR02

I think there have been studies shown that it is faster to remove the kids from the carseats...

I have put a lot of thought into this. DH works for the FAA and is a bit of an avaition nut. I have read a lot of different things over the last 4-5 years and I don't know exactly what I would do. I would not want one of the kids to go down the slide by themselves, but I travel with both kids by myself frequently. Hoefully a kind stranger would help me, but if not I would probably have to go down with both of them and hope for the best. It is one of situations I pray that I am never in.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
It takes me all of 20 seconds to release Joy's harness. I would not be the least bit concerned.

True. But I have flown several times with both kids, both in car seats. I would have to unbuckle both, then carry them both to the exit, and get them both out the door & down the slide. I think I would just hold them both to my chest, and try to brace them with my legs. Scary to think about!

jnh896

Hello,
I'm a former flight attendant. (Also totally opposed to lap children, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

Here's what I would add if you would like to develop your own personal evacuation plan. Believe me, if you have given it thought, it will kick in instinctually in the event of an actual emergency. And rest assured that flight crews practice regularly, even though they (thankfully) ever experience a "real" evacuation.

Count the number of rows behind you *and* in front of you to your nearest emergency exit. You may have to feel your way to them in the dark or smoke.

Practice getting DC out of their carseat with your eyes closed to see how fast you can do it. Always put RF carseats by the window so they do not block anyone's access to the aisle.

The smoke masks may be a good idea to carry with you for peace of mind if you travel often. You can also breath into your sleeve or into a wet towel if you can get a hold of one. Remember, oxygen masks are not deployed for smoke or fire, just for loss of pressurization at high altitudes. (above 10,000 feet)

Our evacuation commands included, "Leave everything." That doesn't mean that people listen.

Pay attention to the flight attendant safety briefing and look at the safety info card in the seat back pocket for further info or to see a diagram of the airplane's exits. Most people tend to go forward and forget about exits that are behind them.

Slide down the slide on your butt, feet first and cross your arms across your chest to try to stay tucked in. DC should go between your legs as best you can. If you go out a window exit (no slide) you should step out of the window feet first and slide off the back of the wing. (It's closer to the ground.)

And no, it's not crazy for planning for these scenarios even though they are highly unlikely. It's no different than having an evacuation plan from your own home in case of fire or some other emergency.

And there is a reason why flight attendants tell you to put your seat upright and your tray table up for takeoff and landing - those can impede your access to the aisle in the event of an evacuation. (And you thought the flight attendant's were just being crabby!:))

I hope this information helps someone. I know this forum has helped me tremendously.

Cheers!

crunchierthanthou

We take care to notice the exits and try to sit as close as possible. If we don't have kids with us and are in coach we usually are in the exit row. Either way I can usually tell you who all is around me and if there is anyone old or with small children. I would hope that someone next to you would help with the children if you were alone.

You do realize that sitting in the exit row means accepting responsibility for helping others off as well, right? It's not just about more leg room or being first to evacuate.

minismom

Hello,
I'm a former flight attendant. (Also totally opposed to lap children, but that's a discussion for another thread.)

Here's what I would add if you would like to develop your own personal evacuation plan. Believe me, if you have given it thought, it will kick in instinctually in the event of an actual emergency. And rest assured that flight crews practice regularly, even though they (thankfully) ever experience a "real" evacuation.

Count the number of rows behind you *and* in front of you to your nearest emergency exit. You may have to feel your way to them in the dark or smoke.

Practice getting DC out of their carseat with your eyes closed to see how fast you can do it. Always put RF carseats by the window so they do not block anyone's access to the aisle.

The smoke masks may be a good idea to carry with you for peace of mind if you travel often. You can also breath into your sleeve or into a wet towel if you can get a hold of one. Remember, oxygen masks are not deployed for smoke or fire, just for loss of pressurization at high altitudes. (above 10,000 feet)

Our evacuation commands included, "Leave everything." That doesn't mean that people listen.

Pay attention to the flight attendant safety briefing and look at the safety info card in the seat back pocket for further info or to see a diagram of the airplane's exits. Most people tend to go forward and forget about exits that are behind them.

Slide down the slide on your butt, feet first and cross your arms across your chest to try to stay tucked in. DC should go between your legs as best you can. If you go out a window exit (no slide) you should step out of the window feet first and slide off the back of the wing. (It's closer to the ground.)

And no, it's not crazy for planning for these scenarios even though they are highly unlikely. It's no different than having an evacuation plan from your own home in case of fire or some other emergency.

And there is a reason why flight attendants tell you to put your seat upright and your tray table up for takeoff and landing - those can impede your access to the aisle in the event of an evacuation. (And you thought the flight attendant's were just being crabby!:))

I hope this information helps someone. I know this forum has helped me tremendously.

Cheers!

Thanks, very helpful!

mommycat

I'm not sure I could say with any degree of certainty exactly what I'd do in that kind of situation...really, I don't think anyone can as you just never know and every situation is different...but I'm thinking that if I had my child with me and he was harnessed in a seat the quickest way to extract him and safest way to eject him from the plane *might* be to just unbuckle the seatbelt and keep him in his car seat. Just like in a car impact the car seat offers protection...so I'd guess that as he tumbled/slid/whatever down the slide (even if I were trying to hold it) he might have more protection harnessed in his car seat then just being held by me or being tossed out on his own.

This seems to me to be an ok idea if you are on land, but probably a bad idea in water. I am imagining the child strapped in and upside down, sinking... :( I don't like this thread. *cry*

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
This seems to me to be an ok idea if you are on land, but probably a bad idea in water. I am imagining the child strapped in and upside down, sinking... :( I don't like this thread. *cry*

And it's not like you can carry a belt cutter on an airplane :thumbsdown:

Living in the PNW where we have lots of rivers, creeks, and bridges, I am terrified of crashing into water and having to figure out how to get 2 toddlers out of the car safely *shudder*

canadianmom2three

Gah, I hate this thread too, but take some comfort in the fact that the chances of one actually facing an emergency evacuation of an airplane, where you would be alive to face making those tough decisions are far far less than you being blindsided in an auto crash where you don't even have a second to think about what to do. Still, I HATE flying, it gives me the creeps every time. We are headed to Florida this summer (24hr car ride one way) and while I know that flying is hugely statistically safer,not to mention WAY faster! I still would rather drive.....

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have to say that I wouldn't discount the ability of strangers to help. Even in something as small as my bag or keeping Piper corralled and entertained when she was younger I have ALWAYS had someone offering to help me. Every single flight. People are generally good and will generally help. If there's someone on a business trip who is a parent and they see someone with two, three, or four kids and a parent on their own (or three or more kids with two parents) then I honestly believe people will help.

I'd have a plan ready to do by yourself, but I honestly would plan on the very likely case that someone behind or in front of you will take a child from your arms and take them down the slide for you. Or carry them down the aisle. I sure as heck would. Just ask their name in case you are separated at the bottom. That way you know to look for John who is carrying little Jimmy.

Wendy

vonfirmath

I remember reading that there has not yet been a successful emergency landing on water. So this may be a moot point.
Wikipedia article on Water Landings The Wikipedia article mentions it as well as the constraints/parameters -- ie commercial, wide-body aircraft that are not just taking off.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I remember reading that there has not yet been a successful emergency landing on water. So this may be a moot point.
Wikipedia article on Water Landings The Wikipedia article mentions it as well as the constraints/parameters -- ie commercial, wide-body aircraft that are not just taking off.

Not of a commercial jet, maybe, but smaller aircraft have successful emergency water landings quite frequently. That is what scares me--DH is researching airplanes to buy and even scarier than a commercial jet with a trained flight crew is the thought of being alone on a sinking plane with my DH and my kids.

featherhead

I know this doesn't have to do with airplanes, but a friend told me about a lady and her two children who drove off the road and ended up in a ditch full of water. They all drowned, I'm guessing because she couldn't get her children unbuckled. So my friend says she has a knife in her glove compartment so she could cut the straps if it ever happened to her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC