Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Moderator - CPST Instructor

New Britax seats for Canada

So with all the going-ons this morning about 3 new Britax seats to be released in Canada this year, I was able to confirm with my Britax contact that it is indeed true.

1) Diplomat which is essentially the Roundabout but with "True Side Impact Protection" by way of the bolstered headrest and a removable infant insert, as well as a threadless harness adjustment feature. I think there is an extra 1" allowed here over the RA because of the head insert, but details of the seat can be seen on the Britax website.

2) Boulevard is essentially the Marathon platform but with the same features as the Diplomat. There is apparently 2" of extra height allowed for the BV over the MA (making it 49" ff height limit, I think).

Both of these are said to be shipped in May/June.

3) The mysterious, worst-kept secret carseat/booster combination seat - Frontier. It is said to be harnessed from 25 to 65 lbs (in Canada because we have max 65 lbs ff limit) and as hbb from 40 lbs (in Canada because this is our min. booster weight) to 100 lbs. It has TSIP as well.

I don't know the top harness slots for the Frontier, but I speculate that it would have to be somewhat in between the MA/BV and Regent (as the Frontier is said to be harnessed to 80 lbs in the US).

I don't have ETA for the Frontier. But someone had said in the US is due out sometime in April.

In the past, Britax seats are brought into the Canadian market well after its appearance in the US. So This time around it looks like Britax might have applied for certification in the US and Canada at the same time, perhaps it would arrive in Canada shortly after April. Maybe at the same time as the 2 convertible seats.

Price points are a tad higher than the RA and MA. So perhaps I have great hope that the price points for the RA and MA might go down a little (I always hope that Britax seats are more affordable for the masses to a point, I guess)

That's what I have for now.
    Tam
    Certified Canadian CRS Technician-Instructor

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: New Britax seats for Canada

Thanks! I want the Boulevard!

Any chance you asked if the RF weight limits are still the lame 30 pounds?

As for the Boulevard having more height room, according to the Britax site, the Marathon and Boulevard are both 49" and have the same seated height limits as well. Of course that's the U.S. numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by technogranola View Post
    Any chance you asked if the RF weight limits are still the lame 30 pounds?
    I've asked but have not received an answer yet.
    Tam

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Quote Originally Posted by hipmaman View Post
    I've asked but have not received an answer yet.
    Sweet!

Carseat Crazy

WoW, thanks for the info!

Anyone has more info on the Frontier?

That's someone I really need (ff harness upto 65pounds)!
    Previously(Radian Premier FF and Britax Marathon FF) Now Sunshine Kids Monterey

Update...

I'm told that ALL 3 new seats (yes, including the Frontier) are most likely be shipped in June for Canada.

MSRP are $280 for the Diplomat, $320 for the Boulevard and $300 for the Frontier. 30 lbs rf remains for Britax convertibles.
    Tam

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

Update...

I'm told that ALL 3 new seats (yes, including the Frontier) are most likely be shipped in June for Canada.

MSRP are $280 for the Diplomat, $320 for the Boulevard and $300 for the Frontier. 30 lbs rf remains for Britax convertibles.
    Ugh, stupid 30 RF limit! Do you happen to know if the removed the 32" RF height limit?

Unfortunately DD won't make it until June in her SS, so I am crossing my fingers that the TrueFit has a higher weight limit, or at least doesn't have the stupid 32" RF height limit (I know I can ignore the height limit, I just want it to go away!) and that it makes it in May as expected.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Update...

Pleasant surprise for the prices on the diplomat and blvd. Only $20 more for the TSIP and I'd likely spring for that. And the Frontier shipping on time to Canada - well that's awesome too. (Although I still think it's way over priced when it costs the same as a MA... maybe if I had a kiddo in a SS1 up to age 2, then could move the the frontier instead of a MA, but then the expiration date would bite you in the bum...)
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

CPS Technician

So the MA has got to get cheaper, right?

This is good to know (re: price points)...not sure what I'm buying dd1 next (of course she'll be 10 by the time she's 65lbs...)
    American mom in canada with 2 dds in MAs, one RF, one FF

Carseat Crazy

June for the Frontier is great. I can wait till June, I hope. Need a new seat for each of the kids and so want that Frontier. If I really like it after buying 2 to start I will be buying 2 more for DH's car and replacing what's in his car too. (only because I am using the Regent's that I moved to Canada with)

Any idea who will be carrying the seats in Canada?

I'm thinking that the prices MA and RA would be lowered (or they should) otherwise, $20 difference to get the DP (I can recall what the acronym for the Diplomat?) and the BV and the MA and RA would become obsolete, ya know.

I'll ask about the 32" rf height limit. Although isn't the RA now has 30" rf limit based on what I quickly scanned the recent recall?
    Tam

DD#1, Aug 1999
    DS, May 2001
    DD#2, Aug 2007

I'll ask about the 32" rf height limit. Although isn't the RA now has 30" rf limit based on what I quickly scanned the recent recall?
    I've haven't really kept tabs on the RF height for the Roundabout, although I do recall reading a thread on it, and someone saying they got a new manual with a new limit? I guess the only thing worse than the 32" RF height limit on the Marathon and the Radian, is the even lower limit on the Roundabout!

Quote Originally Posted by technogranola View Post
    I've haven't really kept tabs on the RF height for the Roundabout, although I do recall reading a thread on it, and someone saying they got a new manual with a new limit? I guess the only thing worse than the 32" RF height limit on the Marathon and the Radian, is the even lower limit on the Roundabout!
    What's funny a bout that though, is that it's only 2" lower on the RA, but how much shorter is the RA shell? The RA is actually about 2" taller in the shell than the SS1 that has a 32" rf'ing limit. How you can have a taller seat with lower limits is beyond me.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    What's funny a bout that though, is that it's only 2" lower on the RA, but how much shorter is the RA shell? The RA is actually about 2" taller in the shell than the SS1 that has a 32" rf'ing limit. How you can have a taller seat with lower limits is beyond me.
    That's totally crazy!! So, if you follow the Roundabout manual, it will only fit babies RF barely longer than a Snugride and not as long as a SS! Wow! What are they thinking when they put these numbers in the manuals?

To update on release date for the frontier, I called a dealer in the US and they now have May as thier release date. THere is a covered picture of the frontier on the website now, so hopefully soon.

When I called our local store to see if they were taking names to know how many to order, they refused because they are not sure if it will be released here yet. They say it will be summer before it comes if it does. I am sure it will arrive here, but when will be the question.

Senior Community Member BudgieStew's Avatar

You can see a picture of the Frontier here

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=40052
    *DD N 5 Years 46 inches/44 lbs FF in a Marathon/Parkway SG/Turbo Booster/ and Harnessed Nautilus
    *DS H 7 Years 49 inches/51 lbs in a Monterey and Turbo Booster
    and a Harmony and Radian as back up seats

Thanks for the picture!! I think pink is in order with two girls!!!

Unregistered

Are we still on track to receive the new Britax seats in Canada in May/June? Specifically, the Diplomat?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are we still on track to receive the new Britax seats in Canada in May/June? Specifically, the Diplomat?
    Last update from another tech here was that Britax is planning to ship the seats in mid to late June. I know that they had said Sept with the 65lb MA's, and they started hitting stores a few weeks after that. With the exception of big stores like TRU, Britax ships directly to retailers so they frequently have seats within 5 or 6 weeks of manufacture. So I'd expect the seats to be available for purchase starting mid July if everything stays on track.

I wouldn't expect a delay on the Diplomat or BLVD since those seats are already in production in the US and have been for quite some time. I'm not sure if the Frontier is on track for it's predicted release date or not, but it seems like it.

(Any reason why you're choosing diplomat over blvd? The diplomat is shorter like the RA while the BLVD has a higher harness like the MA. Older babies can have rf'ing seats installed more upright, so a MA will fit in most vehicles. You may be able to fit a BLVD unless there's another reason you're looking at the diplomat. The BLVD will be much more likely to get your little one to a safe booster age, whereas with the diplomat you'll almost definitely have to buy a bigger harnessed seat once it's outgrown. Most kids aren't big enough/mature enough for a booster until around the age of 5 or 6, and kids usually tend to weigh 40lbs before then or else outgrow the shorter seats by height before then. )

Are any stores pre-ordering the frontier yet? Will those "in the know" on here post please when they are? I think it seems perfect for us but I'll need it ASAP. (not sure if dd#4 can last in the ss1 until July)
    TIA,
    Morgan
    Sage 12, Olivia 11, Enna 6 (ff TrueFit), Imogen 4.5 (ff Marathon)