Would you FF?

niccig

DS is 3 yo (as of December), and at the Dr's office he weighed 31.5 lbs with clothes/shoes on.

The problem is with me. I just had thyroid surgery and there was damage to a nerve for the vocal cords. I can't talk much above a whisper and it's going to take months for the nerve to re-generate.

In the meanwhile, the speech therapist suggested I start sign language with DS again for the times when I have no voice. He got upset today in the car, as he couldn't see/hear me when I was trying to talk from the passenger seat. DH had to talk for me, but next week DH goes back to work and it'll just be the two of us and he won't be able to see any sign language if he's still RF (when we're stopped at traffic lights, not while I'm driving).

I have a Blvd, a Como, and a safeguard seat (bought on sale and safely stored in the closet until he was FF). Both cars have top tethers.

WWYD?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
DS is 3 yo (as of December), and at the Dr's office he weighed 31.5 lbs with clothes/shoes on.

The problem is with me. I just had thyroid surgery and there was damage to a nerve for the vocal cords. I can't talk much above a whisper and it's going to take months for the nerve to re-generate.

In the meanwhile, the speech therapist suggested I start sign language with DS again for the times when I have no voice. He got upset today in the car, as he couldn't see/hear me when I was trying to talk from the passenger seat. DH had to talk for me, but next week DH goes back to work and it'll just be the two of us and he won't be able to see any sign language if he's still RF (when we're stopped at traffic lights, not while I'm driving).

I have a Blvd, a Como, and a safeguard seat (bought on sale and safely stored in the closet until he was FF). Both cars have top tethers.

WWYD?

(((HUGS)))) I hope you recover quickly! FF top tethered in the middle in an SIP seat is fine, absolutely (even outboard, I know your cars are loaded with airbags). Remember it's the side crashes that are worse for FF kids, so you are really fine FFing him.

((((HUGS)))) Again

amyg530

i would FF, not even so much for the situation that you're in but for the fact that at 3yrs and 31.5# i'd already be debating FF anyway

southpawboston

yep, i'd do it. and hope your VCs heal quickly!!! i don't want to come off as negative, but the same *exact* thing happened to my mom... and it did take some time for her voice to get back to normal (a few years). but it did get there. it's possible her VC damage was a lot worse than yours. she was also a lot older, so her healing was slower.

SPJ&E

At his age and size, I would have absolutely no problem with him forward-facing.

I turned my son FF at 3 years, 8 days old (in December). He was about 29 lbs. naked and 31 lbs. fully clothed at that time. I just weighed him a couple days ago and was shocked to see that he was 32.8 lbs. fully clothed.

And I too hope you feel better soon and get your voice back quickly!

niccig

Thanks everyone.
I was surprised at how much he weighed at the doctor's office. He's put on 2 lbs in about 2 months, and sprouted 2 inches. Definitely a growth spurt.

I just have to wait it out with my voice. It's inconvenient to say the least, but I'm glad I had the thyroid surgery as that was causing many problems. DH and I are working out how I'll communicate with DS - signing, flash cards - and I'll be able to talk more as it gets better.

I'll wrestle with the carseats over the weekend.
Nicic

Morganthe

Yep, like everyone agrees -- FF with no compunctions. :thumbsup:

Get a small extra mirror that suctions to your windshield or visor so you can see just him.
He'll see you too and it will probably calm him down a lot.

I hope you heal up quickly. :thumbsup:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
At 3 yrs, oh yes, I'd feel comfortable FF him!

Don't stress, and how awesome it was for you to give him that many years.

:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC