Gorilla seat?

daycaremom2002

My sister was told by DD services that they would get her a carseat for her 40 pound tall 4yo DD who has autism. They just called and told her that they had a Gorilla seat for her. Her DD is riding in a Futura right now, and is very happy in it, but is getting to tall, and the seat will expire soon. She would be perfect in a Regent or a Nautilus. She has no trunk problems, and is very high functioning. The Gorilla just looks very uncomfortable and bulky. She drives an older Suburban. Will it install?

Anything you can tell me? Do they still make these seats? I think this may be overkill, so I am thinking that it might benefit her to buy a different seat soon.

ADS

daycaremom2002

UPDATE: They had two seats. Both are donated, so I am not sure how old they are. The one she got was a Columbia seat. She is bringing it home for me to look at to check the dates and stuff. I know these are expensive seats and people probably donate them all the time. They are still considered used though, so would you use one? Hopefully she can afford a Radian or Nautilus next month with her taxes.

Any thoughts?

daycaremom2002

yah. DDS was going through the plan for her therapy and they asked her what she needed. She said that she was going to need a HWH seat soon and they offered her one of the seats that they had. After she picked one up, she told me that they were donated seats. I suppose there is a need, but this should not be the only way for these families to get seats.

I talked to my older niece tonight and asked her if there was a sticker with a manufacture date on the back. She turned it over and said she didn't see a sticker, but that it looked like there was a crack in the plastic under the bar on the back of the seat. Needless to say, I will be looking at the seat tomorrow and confirming that my niece will not be riding it in.

Hopefully they will be getting enough back in taxes to get her a different seat. If not, I will be helping in the purchase. Now we just have to figure out which seat will fit in the middle of the third row of her Suburban and still allow the other 2 spots to be used. I am doubtful that a Regent will work, even though this is my preferred choice. More than likely, she will end up in a Nautilus because she is very tall, and I am afraid the Radian will not last her as long as she will need.

daycaremom2002

I hadn't though of that. They just switched to a better insurance, so that might work. I will ask her about it today.

I haven't seen the seat yet, but just that it is used with an unknown history is enough for me to suggest getting a different seat.

I will take pictures of her in the seat though, if anyone wants any. I will also find out her exact stats. I do know she is to tall and slightly to heavy for the Cargo and she is 4yo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC