Car Seat Advice

R

Robinhill

We are buying a new car seat for our granddaughter who is 9 months old. We have checked the Consumer Reports ratings for convertible car seats and see that the Evenflo Triumph 5 has the best safety ratings, however it has been discontinued. Are the Evenflo Triumph Advance Premier and Evenflo Triumph Advance Deluxe as good? Is the Britax Roundabout a better way to go?

ADS

solmama

The Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA) is a great seat. My son rides in one, rear-facing at 22 mos, and loves it. The infinite adjust harness, recline, cushy fabric make it a comfortable seat for little ones. It also takes up less space rear-facing than many seats on the market. The Roundabout is also a good seat (and loved by many on this board). I'd go with the EFTA, it will last to 5 ish years for your grand daughter and it can be rear faced (4x's safer than forward facing) to 35 lbs.

Synchro246

I have both seats :)
I agree that the EFTA (evenflo triumph advance) is a great seat. Both are great seats, but the increased weight limits on the EFTA might suit your needs more.

skaterbabs

You will get far better suggestions here than from Consumer Reports. Their methodology is suspect at best, they do not factor long-term ease of use or how quickly a seat may be outgrown into their ratings, and they do factor in price without including WHY the seat may be more expensive (i.e. higher weight limit, energy absorbing foam, etc.)

That said, I would suggest the Evenflo Triumph Advance. If you have vehicles with LATCH, go ahead and spend the money for the more expensive model ($170) if you can. It has nicer LATCH connectors than the "base" ($130) model. The infinite-height harness means you will not have to worry about the harness height being incorrect for your grandbaby, AND means that you can easily use it for several different children if you have more than one grandchild. It rear faces to 35 lbs, and we know now that the longer a child is rear facing the safer he or she is due to how the child's spine develops. It has a forward facing weight limit of 50 lbs, and the top harness position is tall enough that most children can actually make it to that weight before outgrowing the seat by height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC