Baby B'Air questions...

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
1) Can it be used when the fasten seatbelt sign is on?

2) Can a sling be used when the fasten seatbelt sign is on?

3) Strike this question, I found the answer. (Is the B'Air actually FAA approved for use on a plane, or is it just not prohibited during flight?)

4) B'Air claims that it "was designed specifically to address these concerns, allowing the child to travel out of the parent’s crush zone while attached to the lap belt, not the parent’s body". Is there any research at all to show that the B'Air actually reduces injuries to the child vs being unrestrained or vs "restrained" in a soft carrier like a sing or wrap? Is there any research at all showing that the B'Air does not increase the risk of injury to the parent?

5) B'Air also claims that "over 90% of all injuries occur during flight, mainly due to turbulence" and that it "provides protection during flight when the majority (over 90%) of injuries occur and your child is most vulnerable." What about deaths? Even if most injuries occur in mid-flight due to turbulence, I was under the impression that take off and landing were more (potentially) deadly and that they were the most "dangerous" part of a flight. Is that incorrect?

The answer to Q3 was on the B'air site:
The FAA changed the existing regulations in early 1996, banning devices other than approved car seats during takeoff, taxi and landing. This FAA rule change DOES NOT prohibit the use of the Baby B'Air® during the cruise portions of the flight. The FAA banned these types of devices during take-off, taxi and landing because they could cause more harm than good (for more information see the next question in bold below.)

Since the vest has been designed to address the specific safety concerns of aircraft, Baby B'Air® is working to win an exception for our new product so that it may be used during the entire flight. Until that rule is changed, the vest cannot be used during takeoff, taxi and landing in the U.S. The applicable FAA regulation, known as a CFR, is clearly marked on the back of each vest for the benefit of the parent and flight personnel. These regulations may also be found in the card that came with the vest. It is a good idea to keep this card handy when you use the vest on any airline.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I thought take off and landing were the worst as well. When I was looking for videos to add to my presentation I was looking for onboard turbulence, and I found one video. But for take offs and landings I found a whole bunch! Whoa.

No idea about the rest of it. I was always grumping about the sling thing. But then again I don't like being told what to do.

Wendy

Morganthe

No idea about the rest of it. I was always grumping about the sling thing. But then again I don't like being told what to do.

Wendy
LOL, neither do I. :p

I was wondering about the Baby B'air this type of uncommon scenario.

Baby & parent using during cruise section of flight. Emergency landing announced. Ummmmm, is someone going to take this off a baby for the landing or just what? :confused: All sorts of crazy and it's this thing vs. loose baby. Dunno. :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC