Regent recline bar HELP

Jordynsmama

I asked this before but i wanna double check-

So my recline bar only fits in the holes maybe 1/2 an inch if even that.
It doesnt stay in, it will just fall right out. I have it installed like that.

So its supposed to be fitted in there and stick????

I dont get it.

Also:
My seat I thought was in solid but when you pull up on the seat it is loose, (side to side is fine) b/c of the recline bar and the space it makes between the back of the seat and the back of the carseat.....

What do I do?

I have to use it with the SBP right? Why again? What does it do safety wise??
TIA

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Make sure the recline bar is angled up a bit when you install it - it doesn't fit into the crease of the seat. Once you get the seat tight from front to back, the recline bar will be wedged in there. Mine was a "falling out" one at first but after having the Regent tightly installed with it for several weeks, I don't think I could remove the recline bar if I tried!

Here's what I do to eliminate front-to-back movement: When installing, I get in the car, stand in front of the Regent, and push back on the seat with my knees while tightening the LATCH belt or the seat belt. This should help keep the recline bar in position too.

Hope that helps!

Mama2J

Someone on here mentioned they used a rubber mallet to hammer the recline bar in before installing (I think it was Morganthe?). For mine, I found that once I got it installed really tight the way BookMama just described, it doesn't come out if I uninstall the seat.

If your dd is 40 pounds or more, it is recommended to install the seat with SBP. But if you have an older seat from before the advisory, you don't have to follow the new instructions. I believe that the seat tested with less head excursion by using the enhanced installation instructions. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

amy919

I had DH pound the stupid bar in as far as possible with a ruber mallet and it only sticks out maybe 1.5" - 2". The way my seats are shaped, it doesn't interfere at all. Actually, it makes using LATCH really easy. I don't think we could get the recline bar out if we even tried at this point. I messed around with it forever and I guess I just didn't have the strength to really jam it in there. I would try a rubber mallet.

Morganthe

I had DH pound the stupid bar in as far as possible with a ruber mallet and it only sticks out maybe 1.5" - 2". The way my seats are shaped, it doesn't interfere at all. Actually, it makes using LATCH really easy. I don't think we could get the recline bar out if we even tried at this point. I messed around with it forever and I guess I just didn't have the strength to really jam it in there. I would try a rubber mallet.

Mine popped right out without too much muscle needed even though it had been 'tapped' in. It had been solidly in there and wasn't going anywhere.

Personally, I'd love to modify the bar length to cut an inch or so off each end. DH is willing and says it would be easy :rolleyes: But it would definitely fit the car's seat angle so much better.

No, I'm not... but it would be nice to have it slightly shorter. :p

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I also hammered my recline bar in. I covered the bar wit ha this towel and hammered it in since I do not have a clue where DH keeps the rubber mallet :whistle:

Jessica, if Jordyn is over 40 lbs you have to use the SBP. The SBP performed better in crash tet with children over 40 lbs than the LBP. At least that is Britax says hence the advisory in June.

I am not telling you to do this, but some people have made a parental decsion to not to addd the enhancments from the advisory and follow the instruction manual that came with thier seat if the DOM was before the June 18 2007. Don't know if you DOM falls under the new or old.

Jordynsmama

It doesnt fall out when its in the car.
I meant it just isnt in snug so if I am moving the seat it falls out-

Or sometimes it gets caught in the crease of the seats so when I take out the seat to move it it will be stuck in the seat-

I did angle it up when I last installed the other day but IDK if it helped.

What is it there for?? Is it for safety? Why cant we just install it with the sbp and no recline bar??

Anyway okay i will try the rubber mallot. Thanks!!!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
What is it there for??

It reduces head and neck excursion in a crash.

Picture this - the Regent is sitting on your living room floor (and that recline bar is magically staying in). Your dh stands behind the Regent with his feet on the recline bar. Now, grab the top of the Regent's shell and try to yank it towards you. Doesn't go very far, does it?

Even if the recline bar isn't in the seat bight when it's installed, it's still going to be crammed against the seat back, and that pressure will act in a similar way to help prevent the top of the carseat from being thrown forward in a crash. That's also why it doesn't really matter that your recline bar falls out when the carseat isn't installed - as long as it's in there when the carseat's installed, it'll work.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Picture this - the Regent is sitting on your living room floor (and that recline bar is magically staying in). Your dh stands behind the Regent with his feet on the recline bar. Now, grab the top of the Regent's shell and try to yank it towards you. Doesn't go very far, does it?

Even if the recline bar isn't in the seat bight when it's installed, it's still going to be crammed against the seat back, and that pressure will act in a similar way to help prevent the top of the carseat from being thrown forward in a crash. That's also why it doesn't really matter that your recline bar falls out when the carseat isn't installed - as long as it's in there when the carseat's installed, it'll work.

Great explanation :thumbsup:!

Jordynsmama

Hmmm kinda get it kinda don't :rolleyes: but I understand it is there for safety and that it doesnt have to be stuck in so I am good now! Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC