infant seats for small infants

henrietta

Okay, I'm pregnant, and chances are that we might have a small baby again (our first came home at 4 lbs).

So, I definitely need a new infant seat that fits small babies well, but it doesn't necessarily have to be rated from 4 lbs and up.

Here's my thoughts so far, please expand on them if you can:

I messed around w/the BabyTrend and didn't like a lot of things about it, esp that stupid plastic puzzle buckle. I was not real impressed w/the Graco Snug Ride, but I don't remember all of the reasons why (well, one, it was at Target and adjusted from the rear!). I did like the Britax Companion, but I sure don't like the price! I won't use the Peg Perego, b/c I've used one before and don't like it, plus the ridiculous price.

What about the Compass and Combi infant seats? I know the least about them.

Thanks!

henrietta

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Small babies fit really well in the Chicco Keyfit.

They have the Keyfit22 (4 to 22lbs) and the Keyfit30 (4 to 30lbs).

They both come with a fantastic infant insert that you can use from 4 - 11lbs (maybe 10... can't remember right now).

It's also super easy to install and comes with built-in lock-offs.

VLsMom

Definitely the KeyFit! It starts at 4 lbs, has low harness slots and excellent infant support padding. Soo....yeah...everything Jen said!

henrietta

How low are the slots on the KeyFit vs. other seats (such as the Safe Seat 1, Compass, and Combi)?

I really want EPS foam, low harness slots, lasts awhile, and decently easy install...but I wish the Chicco didn't cost so dang much! This is our second, so probably no baby shower (not that I expect one), but big gifts won't be likely and we are low on $. But I'll buy what I need to when it comes to carseats!

Thanks!

henrietta

henrietta

I'd really like to know more about the compass i-420 and britax companion, too. how low does the lowest strap setting go?

thanks!

henrietta

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
The KeyFit has low bottom slots.

It has EPS foam.

It installs VERY easily....the easiest I've done I think.

I'd expect 6-9 months of use....there are several children on here that have gotten more.

Somewhere's on here there is a 4 pound baby doing their carseat test in the NICU in the KeyFit.

There are Graco Snugrides that have the EPS foam and adjust from the front.

Susan

melniemi

The Keyfit is wonderful. I like it much better for small babies than the Compass. The chest clip on the compass is like the Britax one and it seems to spread the straps to wide on an infant. My sil has the compass seat and it is harder to install - tho not too difficult - and the straps are harder to tighten. The head support isn't nearly as supportive. The Keyfit chestclip is much smaller and fits babies very well. The keyfit infant padding makes baby so cozy. My dd is now 12 months, 28", 17.5#s and still fits in her keyfit. Here are a few pics.
2 weeks
100_4413.jpg

12 months
100_6266.jpg

Hope that helps some!

Suzibeck

I'd really like to know more about the compass i-420 and britax companion, too. how low does the lowest strap setting go?

thanks!

henrietta

I have a Compass I420 being delivered today. I'll try to post back after it arrives. I chose it because it is fully lined with EPS and is lighter weight than the other seats out there. That and dh said OK when he has been resistent to anything else I suggested recently. I got mine from Albee Baby for $79.99, plus only $4.95 shipping and handling.

Starlight

Senior Community Member
I have a Compass I400 that I am holding for dc #3. We used one for ds2, and it was quite nice. Lightweight, though the shape is bulky. It only installs with the base, which can be a PITA. As Susan said, fully lined with EPS foam... The harness is an infinite adjust, and the bottom slot is I think, at 4.75 inches? Definitely good for a small baby.

If I were buying a new seat, I would probably be more inclined to buy the Keyfit, but I think that's just because I like the color options. But my Compass was FREE, NIB, so, yay! Free seat! Works for me.

henrietta

"I have a Compass I420 being delivered today. I'll try to post back after it arrives. I chose it because it is fully lined with EPS and is lighter weight than the other seats out there. That and dh said OK when he has been resistent to anything else I suggested recently. I got mine from Albee Baby for $79.99, plus only $4.95 shipping and handling."

Those are the same reasons I'm interested! Let me know!

Thanks!

henrietta

henrietta

"The Keyfit is wonderful. I like it much better for small babies than the Compass. The chest clip on the compass is like the Britax one and it seems to spread the straps to wide on an infant. My sil has the compass seat and it is harder to install - tho not too difficult - and the straps are harder to tighten. The head support isn't nearly as supportive. The Keyfit chestclip is much smaller and fits babies very well. The keyfit infant padding makes baby so cozy. My dd is now 12 months, 28", 17.5#s and still fits in her keyfit. Here are a few pics."

Melissa,

Is that the chicco to 22 lbs or 30 lbs? how big was your dd when born and in that picture at 2 wks? how much does the carrier weigh and can you measure the bottom harness slot and crotch strap position?

thank you!!!

henrietta

melniemi

Melissa,

Is that the chicco to 22 lbs or 30 lbs? how big was your dd when born and in that picture at 2 wks? how much does the carrier weigh and can you measure the bottom harness slot and crotch strap position?

thank you!!!

henrietta

She was 6# 15 oz 19.5 in at birth. 6# 9 oz when we left the hospital. Bottom slots w/o infant padding= 6", w/padding 5", carrier weighs 8-9#s, but is designed to be easy to carry - smooth sides, not bulky. I carry it w/my arm looped thru the handle, seat resting on my side. The gracos have a 'ledge' there that digs into your hip, but this on is all smooth. Crotch slot is about 4" w/infant padding in. The infant padding curves w/the seat, giving good padding all around baby and behind her, too. I have the 22# version and expected her to outgrow it by 8-9 months based on my older kids, but she decided to be a peanut for me! Here is a pic the day we left the hospital.

100_4328.jpg

Suzibeck

Those are the same reasons I'm interested! Let me know!

Thanks!

henrietta

It's here! First, it was manufactured on 5/13/06, but it has a 7 yr expiration, so it is good until 5/13/13. I was hoping for it to be newer, but given what I paid, I'm OK with the age.

Holy Cow! Is this seat padded! I had an Evenflo On My Way with my first two, very little padding, and a Snugride with my third, also very little padding, so this thing is amazing for that alone.

It doesn't seem overly bulky to me, but I have nothing else here to compare it to. It is very lightweight. I like the padded handle! It is hard to measure correctly with all the padding, but the lowest slots seem to be about 5 inches. I put Bitty Baby in (American Girl baby doll) and the straps were not excessively above her shoulders. I think it would fit a small baby fine. The chest clip is bigger than the KeyFit or Latch-lock, but smaller than the SS1, I think. It is the same clip that is on my MA, except it says Compass instead of Britax. The clip did not push the straps off Bitty Baby's shoulders, not sure what would happen with a real baby however.

I really like the harness adjuster. It would be nice if it could be used without the base, but it cannot. We will not likely move it from the van often so that isn't huge for us. It came with a snap on boot that I didn't realize it came with, that was a nice surprise. The canopy does hang up on the handle some, that could become annoying, but isn't a huge deal.

I have not tried to install it yet, got to finish school work with my middle dd first. I'll post a review in a few days, once I've been able to play with it more and install it in our van and dh's Jetta.

Overall, I think I will be very happy with this seat. The price was certainly right and I found a matching stroller on ebay. Haven't bid on it, not sure if I will or not, but it is nice to have that option.

I do think the shell is probably shorter than the KeyFit and SS1 so it won't last as long height wise as those two. That's OK for me as I quit lugging the carrier around by the time baby is 15# or so anyway.

Suzibeck

OK, if you get the I420, lubricate the spring on the lock-off before using it! I just got off the phone with CS, picked right up no waiting on hold. I got the base installed rock solid very easily in the van, but I CANNOT get it out! It looks like I will need a pool noodle to get the 45 degree recline for a newborn however. It was super easy to install, but uninstalling is a whole 'nother story.

cryswilkins

We had a Combi, and it did fit my DD well from the get go. She was 7 lbs 12 oz and 19 inches long at birth. Other than that I was not thrilled with the seat. I wouldn't buy it again.

henrietta

"We had a Combi, and it did fit my DD well from the get go. She was 7 lbs 12 oz and 19 inches long at birth. Other than that I was not thrilled with the seat. I wouldn't buy it again."

I messed around w/one a bit and read a lot of reviews. I don't think it interests me, esp since I could get a chicco for about the same price or a little more and it's better.

The Compass one tempts me b/c I can get one for such a great price, but I really like being able to use an infant carrier w/o the base occasionally, and the Compass doesn't do that.

Until I mess around w/them, I won't know for sure, but it will either be the Compass, Chicco, or Britax. I really like the anti-rebound bar on the Britax, and I saw a Combi Centre that has that now, but I just don't think the Combi is worth it.

Thanks everyone! Keep the thoughts coming!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC