I got the Regent, questions and pictures included

Auntie2Avi

ETA: link to new post about installation in 2004 Nissan Quest

http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=34440

I got the Regent today, for $200 including tax. The DOM is June 07, which is not great but since I doubt Avi will be able to use the seat for 4 years, I am not terribly upset about losing 6 months of the seat's "life". I installed the seat using the LBP and recline bar because it is a pre-advisory seat. However on the Britax web site it says to follow the new instructions and request the enhancements. I had no problem installing the seat with the LBP, and I am planning on trying with the SBP and seeing whether i can get the Regent and DC SBS in my car. It is pretty cold/rainy today so I only took a few pics from inside the car, but hopefully it will warm up in the next few days and I can "play" some more. I put the harness on the 3rd slots down but I think Avi might need them moved up. He is with his parents on vacation right now but I will check it out when they return and take more pictures.

Seat installed with LBP in my 08 Corolla:

IMG_0259.jpg

Space between back of the Regent and the actual car seat. Is the recline bar in the right position?

IMG_0261.jpg

DOM:

IMG_0269.jpg

Space left in the rest of my backseat.

IMG_0272.jpg

Tether clip, should it be clipped the other way? Is there a pocket for the extra webbing that I did not see?

IMG_0273.jpg

Height of Regent next to middle headrest all the way down. Better visibility than if I had the usual headrest on the seat.

IMG_0274.jpg

Leg room with front seat all the way back

IMG_0276.jpg

Leg room with front seat pretty far forward

IMG_0277.jpg

Any tips/suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Thanks

Last edited:
ADS

Morganthe

How much is the Regent hanging over the edge of that back seat? Can you get the Seat further back?
Do you usually have your passenger seat forward or set back?

I'm thinking of enough leg room for Avi in an accident or just daily drives. It's pretty tight.

Actually, your 11 Jun pre-change Regent will provide you more options than a couple of days later. I'd be happy if I were you :)

If you're interested, I mashed that recline bar into my Camry center rear for the last 6 months before I gave up a couple of days ago and removed it. Fits so much better than ever and dd prefers sitting up straighter.

I'm not sure about the hook placement. I've always installed it the opposit way that you have it so that it's stronger on the top. Tech thoughts???

arly1983

If you would like the regent a little more upright and more back in the seat, here is my trick:

route the belt in the Long belt path but do not engage the locking part of the seat belt yet. put your knees in the regent facing towards the back of the car. Pull the top of the regent toward you and scoot the bend in the back of the regent as tightly as you can into the crease of the vehicle seat. Then tug on the right side of where the belt is routed untill it is as tight as you can get it. Still holding that side with your right hand, pull the seat belt all the way out with your left hand to put it in locking mode. Then feed all the belt back in the retracting and tug the belt in your left hand so that the slack in your right hand is transfered to your left hand and fed that into retractor. THen use your right hand to push the top of the regent flush against the vehicle seat and continue feeding the slack into the retractor. Do a few more tugs at the belt and feeding the slack into the retractor. Now it should be very snug and more upright. This takes some practice and is not nearly so complicated as typing it out seems.

I can get it almost as upright now with the recline bar as I could without. Really increases the legroom.

HEVY

The Regents manufacturers date after 6/18/07 have instructions that say over 40lbs you have to use SBP and the recline bar, then the notice that went out said for Regent manufactured between 11/10/05 to 6/18/07 states you have to use the same instructions as the ones manufactured after 6/18/07, and has a kit you need to get. Your seat fits in this notice.

http://www.britaxusa.com/uploads/advisory/notice/7snwsn.pdf

katiesmommy

Hevy, it was released that pre-advisory Regents are free to use the instructions they came with, but are reccomended to use the new instructions. Regardless, I believe it was Sarah Tilton who said that the old instructions aren't unsafe, just that the new one's are safer. Being that Ilana has a pre-advisory, I would encourage her to use whichever instructions give her the best install.

USmominOz

People who have pre advisory regents have the option to to use the regent w/ the instruction Manuel that it came with as long as you do not add the new enhancements.

I for one use mine w/out the recline bar and use LBP for my dd who is over 40lbs.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Tether clip, should it be clipped the other way?

You should turn the clip around. The long flat part of the hook should always be on the outside. (Think of the hook as a J - the long part of the J should be on the outside.) Hope that helps.

LuvBug

Yes the clip should always clip downward over the hook.

I have a corolla and regent as well, so LMK if you need any tips. I've got mine installed LBP w/o recline bar at the moment.

To me it appears you need to try and push the recline bar into the seat more, to get the base more on the vehicle seat.

HEVY

Actually the advisory is for the LATCH and the length of it and how to use it. The problem is the latch is not long enough to attach in the LBP and the kit includes a longer LATCH to use when using the LBP and instructions on that particular use. And it's specific in saying the recline bar is required to use for 40-50lbs and tether and recline required to use over 50lbs and those are the intructions for old and new. The weight for the LBP is the same, under 40lbs.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
To me it appears you need to try and push the recline bar into the seat more, to get the base more on the vehicle seat.

You might try getting in the vehicle and using your knees to push the base of the seat back while you tighten the belt. This works wonders with my Regent - makes it a little more upright, eliminates front-to-back movement, and keeps the recline bar in tight.

Morganthe

Actually the advisory is for the LATCH and the length of it and how to use it. The problem is the latch is not long enough to attach in the LBP and the kit includes a longer LATCH to use when using the LBP and instructions on that particular use. And it's specific in saying the recline bar is required to use for 40-50lbs and tether and recline required to use over 50lbs and those are the intructions for old and new. The weight for the LBP is the same, under 40lbs.

Since she isn't using LATCH, their info does not apply in this situation. It's a 3pt seatbelt connection.

Britax has never updated their website to match their current guidelines. They know it's contradictory about the recline bar.

In fact, on the advisory in one place, it states to use the "old method if it works best without the RB" on one page, then at the end of the second page, it kept the 'mandatory' Recline bar caution. They added the option without modifying their old statement.

I need to check mine to make sure it is facing downward! Why does the manual not state this? Where is it stated actually??

Most show a diagram - it also makes sense when thinking about aesthetics.

Also it is easier to remove when it is the other way up, push flap peice, push in and up, the other way could hurt when releasing too if the tether is not slackended enough.(Watch your nails)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC