RF behind passenger seat in 07/08 Acura MDX

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Right now our SafeSeat is installed behind the passenger seat of our '08 MDX. I don't have much room at all between my knees and the dash, DH can't get in without his knees touching the dash, which is unsafe for both of us. We'd also like to move DD behind the driver's side which is obviously not possible with the SafeSeat. (note I am referring to the infant SafeSeat installed with base).

I tried the ETA and it actually fits behind the driver's seat with the seat set for DH. It also takes up less depth than the SafeSeat, so gives us more room in the passenger seat. The problem is, the adjustment knobs/levers are jammed into the seat back and you can't get to them, and using them would damage the seat overtime because they aren't just resting on the seat, but actually digging into it.

Has anyone tried the Marathon RF in this vehicle? and compared it to the infant SafeSeat? or the ETA? I have to order online, so I can't try it out beforehand and I've heard the Marathon gives LESS passenger leg room than the ETA. I may have to go with the Roundabout, but I'd like to know if anyone else has checked this out.

ADS

mamaofthree

Haven't tried it in that vehicle, but IIRC, when I switched from the SS1 to a RF MA in my van, I wasn't able to move the front seat back any more than it had been. So I'd guess the SS1 and MA take up the same amount of room RF. HTH!

Kimberly

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Now that I think more about it, the Roundabout may be the way to go. That way, when she outgrows it, I move her into a harnessed/booster combo and maximize her time in the harness. She'll likely be able to stay harnessed that way longer than if I buy her a Marathon but not have to move her to a Radian for an extra inch of growth. And by the time she outgrows the Roundabout there should be some better alternatives out there for harnessed/booster combos.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Radian fits very well in the center of the 08 MDX and leaves *plenty* of room for outboard passengers. ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
And now I find out that the Roundabout is back ordered until March '08, unless I want denim (which I do not). Why oh why is this happening to me?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Radian fits very well in the center of the 08 MDX and leaves *plenty* of room for outboard passengers. ;)
Can you still access the 3rd row? I thought it might get in the way of flipping the passenger side forward?

And it doesn't get in the way of the driver's seat? DH is 5'11" and has long legs.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It's not in the way of doing either. :)
Okay, this is good! This is an option then, and I think I could test this one out as there is a baby store that carries it. The only problem is that older DD can't flip down the centre arm rest and we'd lose the centre cup holders which right now work great for both DD's water bottles.

I am glad you like test driving vehicles. :)

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Put the water bottles in the map pockets on the back of the front seats. Much less of a projectile hazard there as well. ;) :D

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I have a rf'ing marathon behind my drivers seat in my 2007 MDX and it fits great. I sit pretty far back too. How old is your child? Once they are older they don't need to be reclined as far and because of this I have my 15 month old son sitting pretty upright. Let me know if you would like any vehicle specific tips on installing in the MDX.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Cool! So, how tall are you? and you said you sit far back, do you mean that you sit with your arms fairly extended and don't have yourself all jammed up into the steering wheel? If so, that's how DH and I both sit. Although I am on the shorter side, so we generally don't have to worry about me. :)

DD is 16.5 months. The only thing that I worry about being too upright is their head falling forward when they are sleeping. I know this isn't supposed to be a problem, but I hate how their neck gets flung around when you stop and start! A greater recline resolves this somewhat. Have you noticed this being an issue?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am 5'8" and I sit further back than my husband whom is 6'. This is because I like my arms almost fully extended and I carry most of my height in my legs.
When Griffin falls asleep his head goes to the side. Even though the seat looks upright it is still reclined enough that his head falls to the side. Here are some pictures for what they are worth...don't know how much they will help but they might some.

aug21005.jpg

wedding037.jpg

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
That is one CUTE baby! And I love his name! :)

Did you need to do anything special for a more upright install? or is that they way it installs if you just put the base directly onto the seat?

My husband has a 34" inseam, does that sound close to your leg length? Also, I read somewhere that one guy with an MDX said it was a bit hard to get kids into a Britax in the MDX because the height of the 2nd seats makes the opening height smaller and tough to put a child in? Have you had this problem?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I have to order online, so I can't try it beforehand. :(

TXDani

Senior Community Member
That is one CUTE baby! And I love his name! :)

Did you need to do anything special for a more upright install? or is that they way it installs if you just put the base directly onto the seat?

My husband has a 34" inseam, does that sound close to your leg length? Also, I read somewhere that one guy with an MDX said it was a bit hard to get kids into a Britax in the MDX because the height of the 2nd seats makes the opening height smaller and tough to put a child in? Have you had this problem?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I have to order online, so I can't try it beforehand. :(
Aww thank you! He is pretty cute!:love:
To get an upright install I put my weight in the Britax near where Griffin's feet go. This way it is pretty upright when I am done, then I attach the tether and get the recline where I want it. I basically put my seat in its position and then recline his seat to where it is just touching the headrest.
I wear a 35-36 inch inseam so I would say your hubby and I are about the same...especially since my jeans hit the floor with heels on so my actual legs if I were to wear my jeans like a man would probably be closer to a 34.
I do not have any problems getting Griffin into his rf'ing Britax but when I put Nolan whom is forward facing into his Boulevard I hit his head on the top of the door opening a couple times a month. He doesn't seem to mind though!:rolleyes: :p Also when forward facing it helps to recline the back of the seat 1 notch and remove the headrest when installing a Britax forward facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC