So, technically, what's the difference btwn a 5-pt booster and a 5-pt car seat?

Coco_crispy

There's a debate on another message board I'm on and people have some weird ideas on what classifies a seat as a booster. I'm curious about what people think on this board. For instance, most people on the other board classify the Radians as boosters even though they can accomodate small babies and can RF. It's just a friendly (for now) chat on the other board but it made me wonder about proper classifications. Most people on the other board are in a huge rush to get their kids in boosters, though, so maybe it's a good thing that they think of the Radians as boosters! :)

Coco

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A 'Convertible' is a harnessed seat that goes rearfacing and forward facing. A 'Combination' seat is forward facing harnessed then becomes a booster. Some seat makers call them "Harnessed boosters" or just boosters, but the point is, they DO become a booster!
I think anyone calling a Radian a Booster is very, very confused, since it doesn't become a booster (like when stores call the Regent a booster, that's misleading to the point of illegal, it's so wrong..maybe that's what an online store called the Radian and people are just copying it?)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
LOL, I get that! Yeah, sure, put your 2 yo in that Radian or Regent booster...suuuuuuure, that's what it is.... (well, as long as they don't attempt to ever use them without the harness!)
:rolleyes:

mamaofthree

I think some people are just confused. I was talking to a mom one day who was going on and on about buying a booster for her 4 yo. But she kept stressing how it needed to have high harness slots because she was outgrowing her current seat and she didn't want her in a booster with the seatbelt. :confused: After going to USA Baby, she was considering the Radian and Regent "booster". Neither of those are even combo seats, which I could understand calling one of those a booster, so this woman was really confusing me. I guess some people consider anything they buy after a 40 lb convertible is a "booster"?

Kimberly

Simplysomething

I think that the retailers add to the confusion. I know that TRU/BRU used to have the Regent listed as a booster seat, even though nothing in the description indicated it was one.

ETA: I just want to make sure that you all know that I KNOW that nothing should have indicated it was one. Because it isn't. ;)

Last edited:

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It may be that some retailers classify their seats by weight rather than type, so that "Infant Seats" would be anything with a max weight of 20-22lbs, and "Car Seats" would be be anything with a max weight of 40lbs, and then anything for weights over 40lbs would be called a "Booster" (even though seats like the Radian, Regent, etc. clearly are not boosters.)

Just a thought, anyway.

Coco_crispy

You have a good point about the retailers having a big say in the terminology. It's amazing how many people will put implicite trust in a salesclerk. I was in BRU over the weekend and was appalled at the carseat info the girl was spewing to a large crowd of soon-to-be parents. They seemed to be taking her word as carseat gospel. When a woman asked her if LATCH is less safe than a seatbelt she replied, "Actually, LATCH is much much safer because seatbelts can easily come apart in a crash. LATCH will never come apart in an accident." Everyone went, "Ahhhh..." as if she had just revealed the secret of life or something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC