Frequent Fliers, I need to pick your brain

jeno

Senior Community Member
We have flown often since DS was born. Until recently we'd been using a Roundabout but that was outgrown by height this Fall and now I have a Marathon as our travel seat. Last week, I installed it FF for the first time on the plane because during our last trip he was so uncomfortable during flight that he kicked/cried the entire flight (both legs) begging to get out. Well, I hate the Marathon on the plane FF. His long legs were all over the seat in front of us, constantly kicking the poor woman. I spent the whole flight trying to get him to stop. This Marathon is our travel seat only. Our main seat is a BLVD and he still rides RF in our vehicles.

I have someone who I can sell my new Marathon to if I can find a satisfactory replacement. My biggest concerns are the ability to get a good install in rental vehicles as each trip brings on a different set of circumstances.

DS's stats are 23months, 31.5lbs, 35.5" long. I am not against FF him on trips in the vehicles if a combo seat would be the most comfortable for him on the plane. I'm due with Baby #2 in May and don't anticipate any flights in the next 6 months, by which I'm sure he'll be at/near 33lbs by then. Cost is not really a factor. As a tech, I know I can get a Radian at discount, so that has been my lead contender. Just curious what other options I should consider. I will keep him harnessed as long as possible, even if that means buying another seat in the future. So really I'm looking for the "NOW" solution, not a long term solution.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Here's a link to my post about travelling with the Radian. It's a perfect seat for plane rides. The Radian typically installs very easily with LATCH, and since rentals are new enough to have LATCH, it shouldn't be a problem. It's the seat belt installs that can be tricky, but even so, with a bit of practice even seat belt installs are usually do-able.

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Radian is pretty good once you get it on the plane, and since you're using rental vehicles at your destinations, most will be late-model with LATCH, so install shouldn't be too bad.

We just had three cross-country round-trips in the last month with the Radian (including our first trip using that seat - we've had a Titan and Marathon previoulsy.) I hauled it with a luggage cart, sometimes with DS in it. DS is FF.

I used the recline setting, and he slept quite well in it - no complaints about comfort. Being able to use the table tray was a great plus. The Radian's low profile means DC sits further back in the seat than in the Marathon (but DS could still reach the seat ahead and kick it :eek:) The Radian's open belt path means you don't need to worry about using a belt extender or flipping the latch plate.

Installation at our destinations was a bear. We were using family vehicles, often without LATCH. I still bear the scars and broken nails (and I keep my nails short anyway!) Still, armed with the tricks found here, we made it work.

I am looking at the Nautilus for future air travel (when it becomes available here in Canada.) I'm hoping it will be an easier vehicle install.

My best advice for air travel with a child regardless of seat? A portable DVD player!!! (The Red Eye flight worked really well for us too.)

HTH!

kimogilvie

I travel with the Radian and the seat kicking thing is much better with that than with the MA/BLVD. It is a great seat for travelling - especially if you get the backpack travel bag...carrying through the airport is a breeze.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC