Suggestion for a good "extra" seat

Rose

Iv'e been searching for a good safe seat for my dd to go in a friends car for travel to preschool 1 day a week. I'm trying to spend under 100.00 since it'll be only for a 3 min. drive one day a wk til May. After that it'll just be an extra, might give to nana. Due to their car being a CRV it needs to be narrow; it will be in the middle between 2 other seats. DD is 4 3/4, 39 in. and weighs 34 lbs.

We went to Target and tried out a few...... I was really hoping the scenera would work but her shoulders are right at the top slot. I'm leaning towards the cargo or the evenflo chase dlx.
The cargo seemed like it was a little more narrow and the chase felt like it had a little more bottom cushion
Anyone have any input about either?
Also does anyone know if all cargos are the same? Online Target has 4 different cargos, 3 are 99.99, 1 is 79.99. The one in the store is the chance model for 99.99. Its Target reviews aren't very good.......They currently have free shipping so I could get the 79.99 one, black wilbur; its Target reviews are a little better:)

ADS

Brendan's Mom

I am in the same position and will be getting a nautilus. I know it is a little more money, but it is going to last longer and will save you from buying a booster in another few years. The cost is $150. You will just have to check it if is narrow enough. Just my thought....

DiaSmall

These are my first thoughts...

Graco Nautilus . (FF harness/HBB/ LBBooster) 20-65lbs for harness. Top slots are 18 inches high. Converts to a high back booster similar to the Turbo Booster, then to a low back booster. 30-100lbs weight limits in booster mode; booster seat guide is at about 19.5".. 19 inches at the widest point (the base) and 13 inches deep. FAA approved. Built in cup holder and side pockets. The base has two settings and can be slightly reclined. Priced around $150. LATCH limit of 48lbs, Does not allow for LATCH in booster mode. Expected lifespan of 6yrs. should be in all walmarts by end of January.

Evenflo Generations/Bolero: 80-110$ depending on model. FF ONLY to 40lbs with harness. Great harnessed seat/ great booster mode. Open belt guides. TALL 16.5in top slots. Adjusts tall in booster mode too! Flip up armrests make kids happy & make it easier to use in booster mode too!
(The Bolero is the dressed down version of the Generations. It lacks the piddle pad).

Graco Cargo: Harness to ONLY 40lbs ff, 17in top slots. Makes ok, at best, booster. Smaller closed belt guides.. but this can be ok if your seat belts lock & you lock them every time. The Cargo with front adjuster is about 90$.
The Treasured Cargo has a back harness adjuster. Avoid it. If you want to adjust the harness you have to unbuckle the whole car seat. *sigh*

Evenflo Chase: Harness to ONLY 40lbs ff The Chase is good for kids/parents that keep forgetting that chest clips go on the chest! 16.5 in top slots. Makes ok, at best, booster. Smaller closed belt guides.. but this can be ok if your seat belts lock & you lock them every time. The Chase is about 60$.

Rose

Thanks for your suggestions.
The Generations would be my 1st choice however Target online says they wouldn't arrive for 2-6 wks:( Due to the fact that I work at a Target dist. center we tend to shop there to make use of our 10% discount! I could handle 2-3 wks but 6 would be pushing it......
I considered the nautilus but its a little more $ then I can justify for 4 months of use plus our Walmart is out of stock and online it's out of stock....

Looks like it'll be between the cargo and the chase anyone else have any comments?

I fell silly asking this but what do you mean when you talk about the seat belts locking? Ours do if you make a sudden move or apply the brakes hard but nothing that you would adjust
Thanks again

sfeitler

Thanks for your suggestions.
The Generations would be my 1st choice however Target online says they wouldn't arrive for 2-6 wks:( Due to the fact that I work at a Target dist. center we tend to shop there to make use of our 10% discount! I could handle 2-3 wks but 6 would be pushing it......
I considered the nautilus but its a little more $ then I can justify for 4 months of use plus our Walmart is out of stock and online it's out of stock....

Looks like it'll be between the cargo and the chase anyone else have any comments?

I fell silly asking this but what do you mean when you talk about the seat belts locking? Ours do if you make a sudden move or apply the brakes hard but nothing that you would adjust
Thanks again

I have a Cargo, and absolutely hate it as a booster. It grabs the seatbelt if my DD leans forward, so the belt doesn't retract when she returns to position. High price to pay for a few seconds out of position...

I can't speak about the Chase, I haven't had one. But if it has the same belt-guide problem as the PP indicated, I wouldn't bother with it.

I'd go with the Bolero/Generations, even if it means not getting your discount. At $60, the discount is $6. At $100, it's $10... if you get the Bolero and can use it as a booster in the future, it will save you well over $10. The Cargo and Chase are just, IMO, too limited for a 34-pound child. And if she has friends who are over 40 pounds, you can use Bolero as a backup booster for them, which you really won't want to do with the Cargo IMO.

Locking seat belts: lap/shoulder seat belts in newer cars (post-1996 I think it was required, some had it before) can be locked either at the latchplate, or more commonly at the retractor. If you pull the seat belt all the way out slowly, then let it retract, if it clicks you have ALR--switchable retractors. I can't explain the lightweight locking latchplate, but if you look at the vehicle owner's manual, it should tell you how to lock the seatbelt. Probably in the how-to-install-a-car-seat section.

-Sarah

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC