I'm Curious

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
My personal minimum is 2 years old ... ideally, closer to 3 if possible (as that's when the bones ossify) -- 12 months is the absolute bare minimum when there is no other safe choice.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My personal minimum is 2.5-3yrs yrs and over 25 lbs. DD will stay RF hopefully to the limit of her seat. But since she is so small she will probably be in schol before she weighs 33 lbs. Dh has already been pushing me to turn her in his trucks. I tild him "No, she is still to little. Maybe when she is 3 we will talk about it" He does not understand if he does it in his trucks that she will expect it in mine.

keri1292

If I had average size kids, it would be to the limit. But for my peanuts, I've been turning them around age 4 and 30lbs.

MsFacetious

Provided that the trend of small kids continues.... age 3 would be my minimum. That is when they were 30lbs consistently... but, Ali still RF until 4 years old because she gained weight so slowly. I would consider turning at 3 if there was a need, but I would always keep them RF to the limits of their seat when possible.

mamaofthree

Well, we won't talk about what I did with my girls before I found this site, but for my 17 mo ds, he'll be RF til 33 lbs in his MA. He's a big boy, so not sure if we'll make it past 2 yo or not, just depends on his growth. My girls did not ERF, but had I known about it, they would have been RF til at least 3 because they didn't hit 33 lbs before that.

Ds has way more entertainment RF than he would FF, so he loves it. He sits in a captains chair pushed forward, next to his sister's captains chair pushed back, so they can interact way more than if he was FF and craning sideways to see her. His other big sis is in the back row, so he has a perfect view of her and talks to her too.

Kimberly

skaterbabs

My personal minimum is 2 years old ... ideally, closer to 3 if possible (as that's when the bones ossify) -- 12 months is the absolute bare minimum when there is no other safe choice.

:yeahthat:

And I consistantly encourage parents to purchase seats with 35 lb limits and use them until that limit is reached. 35 lbs is a nice solid number that they can sink their teeth into.

veggiegirl228

I'm keeping her RF till she's 35lbs. At the rate she's growing she'll be around (at least I'm hoping) 2.5y. Currently she's 28.5 lbs dressed w/shoes and about 34". She's around the 85% for both height/weight, my big girl! I'm in no hurry to turn her around btw just curious b/c I see she is avg of a 1 lb/mo of weight gain..

Kat_Momof3

age 2 or 30lbs... whichever comes last unless 30lbs is the rf limit of the seat... and then I'd like to see a new seat!

SPJ&E

If you had asked me a few months ago, I would have said to the limits of the seat, no matter what age.

Now (and I have no idea why it suddenly changed), my minimum for my kids is 3 years old OR 33 lbs. So once kiddo turns 3 years old and is at least close to 30 lbs. fully clothed, I'm okay with forward-facing. If kiddo is under 3, I would not FF them until they hit about 32.5 lbs. (fully clothed, of course) unless there is a medical reason and turning them sooner is necessary. I hope that makes sense!

Last edited:

CRS

Senior Community Member
Probably 3 1/2 - 4 years of age. But then my seats rear-face till 55lbs, not everyone has that choice.

Calideedle

At the very least 2years! I like more close to 3yrs if possible. But my DD is 27lbs and 2yrs so she has a long time before I turn her!

tiggercat

I turned my daughter at about 2 yrs old because she hit the weight limit on her MA (30lbs here in Canada). My minimum would be about 2.5 years, because I am only just getting comfortable having her FF. ;)

I hope this next baby grows a bit slower.

lovinwaves

DS - 2 1/2 years 28lbs
DD - 3 1/2 years 31lbs

I started letting DD ride ff'ing here and there this Summer. She rides mainly rf'ing in my van(well right now she is ff'ing because my Radian won't fit rf'ing) and DH's car, but I have no problems with her being ff'ing.

Now Ds is another story. He has a huge gigantor head, pencil neck, and this wee little body. I have only let him ride ff'ing a few times, but make an effort to make sure he is rf'ing if he rides with DH or with relatives. It still doesn't bother me that much if he is riding ff'ing here around town though :)

I figure they are both installed ff'ing correctly, straps are tight, no winter coats on, and they are in a very safe 2 ton van.

On a side note..a friend of mine was in a serious accident a few months back. I never got the chance to install her carseat but I know it was loose and she had her almost 2 year old ff'ing.

They t-boned a car going 55mph. Their car, a Dodge Intrepid, was totalled. Mom and Dad had minor injuries. My friend hurt some time after due to the seatbelt, airbag, and her side going into the arm console.

Baby was fine though. :)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I am okay with turning my kids at 2 if they make it that long. My oldest son barely made it to 2 (if I am remembering correctly) and I doubt my 15 month old will make it to 2. My oldest is TALL and skinny with a huge head so he met the weight limit pretty quick. My youngest is short and FAT so we will see how his weight goes from here.

3acorns4Christy

At the bare minimum age 2 and 30lbs.
that being said my son at 17 months was 32lbs, but with new found picky eating, stubornness and being sick he went down to 25lbs. The kid would only pick at his food for nearly 3 weeks but was still running. He is still comfortably at 26lbs, eating like a horse. So he was FF for about a month when he was 32lbs naked.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC