2005 Toyta Sienna LATCH

• Thread starter OurAngelsAliandShae
  • Start date
O

OurAngelsAliandShae

Did you know that the 8 seater 2005 Sienna LE has 5 FULL SETS OF LATCH???? Wow! The middle row all 3 seats have LATCH and tethers, and the 3rd row has LATCH and anchors in the middle and passenger side. I was very impressed. Plus it has the side curtain airbags in the LE as well.

I just thought that was so neat, the 2004 has 4 sets of it, but I didn't know that the 2005 had 5 sets. :)

ADS
I

In The Woods

Yeah, it's great, isn't it? We have an '05 7-seater w/ four sets of LATCH; would be five if the 8-seater.

My uncle's brand new Nissan minivan, very nice auto, only has three sets of LATCH. Kind of an oversight on their part. (One each in the 2nd row captain's chairs and then one in the center back bench.)

Toyota's got it going on.

Kristin

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Keep in mind that side curtain airbags and stability control are available in the LE only if you get a somewhat expensive option package.

M

MyAngelsAliandShae

The base model CE Sienna was $25,000 and the one we are getting (hopefully) is I believe a base model LE. It has the side curtain airbags, and I'm not sure about the stability control because I didn't check on that. However, it is only $29,000. I also thought we would need the expensive extra package (I think it's number 7 or 8) but we don't as long as we just need those airbags. And that was my main concern, as 99% of the time the person outboard is not in a carseat. And, with LATCH in both center positions the girls will definitely be in the middle.

Toyota is definitely ahead of the game on this one.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Driver and front passenger seat-mounted side and three-row side curtain airbags are not available in the CE model. They are optional in a package for the LE and XLE models. They are standard only in the XLE Limited.

You can find a description of the packages here:

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/2005/sienna/options.html

For the LE, you must add at least package 3 or 4 to get side curtain airbags. Packages 5, 6, and 8 add both the airbags and stability control. Package 3 is the least expensive, around $1300.

Check out www.carsdirect.com . It will give you some good price comparisons to take to the dealer. Carsdirect doesn't have the lowest pricing, but you should never pay more than the CarsDirect price. If the dealer is higher, then just order through Carsdirect. For example, they quote a Sienna LE with package 3 at $24,318 before taxes, license and any doc or other dealer fees.

Keep in mind that this late in the model year, it may be impossible to find certain option packages and colors since you may not be able to place a factory order. Around this time the factories shut down to retool for the next model year and you may be stuck with whatever a dealer can find in local inventory. In years past, it has been very difficult to find Siennas in stock with only the least expensive option packages. Maybe this has changed, but if you find one that has only what you need at a good price, don't wait too long or you might find yourself waiting for the 2006 models;-)

M

MyAngelsAliandShae

Yep, there wasn't much to choose from. This one was on the lot 2005, no miles, side curtain airbags, traction control thingie, 5 sets of LATCH, and all sorts of other cool stuff. I haven't ever had a "new" vehicle so the tire pressure sensor, automatic closing doors, buttons inside to close doors, automatic passenger side airbag sensor, ect is all new to me. Very cool.

Got it for $26,000. Although I definitely think someone should start designing vehicles with rear facing tethers in the floor.

Other than that I like it. :)

MelllieMa

MyAngelsAliandShae said:
Although I definitely think someone should start designing vehicles with rear facing tethers in the floor.

Hey, I was surprised as anything doing a check on a Volvo something or other (lol) that there was a rfing tether hook. I double checked the manual, and sure enough, that is what it was! Cool!

Good for you for an amazing deal on your new car! How exciting and congrats!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Congrats on the new van! I'm still deciding between the two. Will be a few months before I decide, maybe more if I wait for 2006 models...

annb

Which 2 are you deciding between Darren?

And when you say Carsdirect doesn't have the lowest pricing...well who does?? :)

We've test driven most of the mini vans now...I like the Toyota best but it is pricey...well they all are, but there are better deals on our 2nd and 3rd choices...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Just like any "one price" dealer, you can always take the CarsDirect price to a local dealer to have them beat it. Whether it is worth the time and hassle to do so varies for each person's tolerance of the game;-)

I'm waiting to see all the changes for 2006. I'm leaning toward on Odyssey EX in silver. I'd consider a Sienna LE package 5 for a less or an XLE with package #3 for a bit more. The splurge will be an Odyssey EX-L in black if the price is right. It all depends on the features, options and pricing for 2006 since I don't plan to buy for 3-6 months.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Sienna drives like a Lexus--you know you want one ;). You know that you'd give up the lazy Susan storage in the floor for the hidden storage in the front door arm rests. You know you want to be cool.

A word of advice from the owner of a dark gray van--it shows every smudge. I'm not talking dirt--we all know dark cars show dirt. I'm talking about where shopping carts rub up against the car and leave bits of rubber, or tricycles rub against the bumper as they go by, or the rubber protectors from other car doors, etc. You see it all!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yeah, silver is far more practical but black looks so good, especially since you never see any black minivans...

The CarMax new car dealership where we bought our Subaru also carries Toyota. That's a possible factor for the Sienna, too. The local Honda dealerships were not very competitive back in 2000.

I have to check out the 8-passenger options again, too. I haven't seen the Honda's yet. It sounds like it is far less of a seat, but allows you to retain more seating flexibility with the indexing.

mamamia

You know I love my 04 Sienna! After more than 2 years of driving it I really don't have any complaints. Now I wish I had the 8 passenger, but that's more because I have 3 of my sisters children some days (along with my 3), and we are trapped at the house unless I want to put someone up front-which I don't. I wish I had dual power sliding doors, but the reason I don't is I got the van when they first came out and it wasn't possible to get one with that feature and the side curtain airbags in all three rows unless I got leather seats, which DH and I just can't stand (don't flame me!). You can't be choosy when you are in line to get whatever shows up!

If I was buying now, it would still be between the Honda and the Toyoto-just that 2 years ago the 2004 SIenna had more safety options than the honda. Certainly a harder decision now, than before. I think price would ultimately be the deciding factor.

annb

We drove the Honda and the Toyota, and honestly didn't really care for the Honda (blind spots and too many gizmos and drives kind of stiff in our opinion...and the salesman couldn't even get the seat to stow in the back). It's actually our 4th choice behind the Dodge Grand Caravan (uncomfortable seat I thought, but the price is good and features good, drove nice but had wind noise) and the Nissan Quest (interior isn't 'all that', but drives real nice). I really liked the Toyota though so we're seeing if we can afford one. I'd like the LE 8 passenger with option #6 I believe, though 5 or 8 would be fine too...but we want a light color. It makes such a difference during these hot summers. The 15 cup holders in the Honda though, man, it'd be tough to settle for only 14 in the Toyota.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You'll be happy to know I put my name on the list for a Highlander Hybrid. Not sure if I want one yet, but if I do decide on one and can get it by the end of the year, the tax credit still applies.

The 4WD version gets 31mpg city while the 2WD gets 33mpg city. They actually get a few mpg less on the highway lol.

mamamia

DO let us know how you like it. My father really wants one :)

I was going to post that you should get the black honda. It is so nice looking. I have seen about 10 in the last couple of days driving around town. Who knows, maybe it really is the same van with the driver just always going to the same place as me-lol! If I were in the market for a new mini, I would give that a second look :)

bazanna

Senior Community Member
Ooohhh I love the Highlanders as far as SUV's go and I do like the idea of a hybrid. I really really really want a minivan for my next car, probably a Sienna but if FarmerJoe talks me into an SUV, I will make a case for a Highlander.....

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Yeah the problem is the Highlander Hybrid is about 33.6k plus tax for 2WD, 35k plus tax for AWD, even after a good price at Carmax and the tax credit. Compare to 25.5k for the Sienna LE package 5, 26.5k for the Odyssey EX, 28k for the Sienna XLE package 3 and 29k for the Odyssey EX-L. For those extra thousands, you lose lots of features like sliding doors and interior room/flexibility. You gain over 10mpg city but highway mileage is about the same.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I almost cried when my mom turned down her spot in line for a Highlander Hybrid! I can understand her point of not needing any more than ONE seat in her car for 11/12ths of the year, though (really, she could get by with the driver's seat only, lol), and why pay that much when her Volvo is paid off...but man, I was still sad...I would have adored to drive the HH around on my vacation to visit her this summer! And when I paid 45 dollars to fill the tank in the Volvo, which then only got 300 miles on that tank, I could have cried again! (Made me remember my dear Prius getting 400+ miles on $19...sigh...)

Ok, anyway, sorry for getting off topic :D

I got a brochure for the new Mazda 5, and it looks sweet...they didn't have one at our dealer to play in last week, though...I was bummed...

I think my 2003 Ody still has a good bit of life in it, anyway.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I couldn't find a Mazda 5 brochure- is there a pdf online somewhere?

I seen a number of people complain they get a lot lower city mpg in the Highlander Hybrid than the estimates. Of course, that happens to Odysseys and Siennas, too...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC