Just Curious

U

Unregistered

How do you tech's install RF seats tightly since you can't kneel/press on the seat without also kneeling on the seat belt? I know how I've done it and it isn't easy or pretty and I can't imagine how you do it in all sorts of vehicles. Any tips? I'm still sweating from installing DD's Wizard RF and realize I'll probably do it again soon (manual is under seat!!...I know, I know it should have been in my hands as I installed but I've read the manual on line so many times I think I have it memorized!!)
C.
Does this belong in the Car Seat forum??

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It might get more visibility in the Car Seats forum. I can move it if you want.

As for how I install, it can be tricky, but if you watch where you put your knee, you can kneel in most seats without pinning down the seatbelt. I usually put my knee "behind" the seatbelt - toward where the baby's butt goes - to push down on the seat. And, you're right that the same technique doesn't work in every single vehicle. Sometimes, I have to do it from the side, and sometimes, there's so much room that I can actually stand between the child seat and the front seat of the vehicle (especially in minivans if the front seats are moved all the way forward).

I can say that the more I do it, the easier it gets.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I have pretty good arm strength so I usually don't have to kneel in a seat anymore to get a rock solid install. I just put all my weight into the seat at the butt area and tighten that way.

U

Unregistered

RF install

I guess what made it hard in this vehicle was that the belt didn't slide easily through the part of the buckle on the belt when I tried to tighten it. I had to use both hands one to pull the lap portion and the other to pull the shoulder portion. In my van I can easily pull the whole belt (lap portion and shoulder) tight without having to feed and pull. I was practically on my head at one point with my rear in the air. I just couldn't picture doing that with anyone watching!!

Ulrike you may move this if you wish, thanks!
C.

MelllieMa

LOL at the mental image. Techs get used to having our backsides stared at; in fact, many tech t-shirts have child passenger safety pointers on them! It gives parents etc something to look at besides our backsides, LOL! :D

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I hate "sticky" seatbelts. I find that sometimes gripping the belt in a different place or using a different angle makes a difference. I also rock the seat while pulling it tight to help get the slack out of the lap portion of the belt.

bazanna

Senior Community Member
I sweat a LOT while working in others' cars :D

I don't care about my backside or the dignity of it; besides, my backside is a LOT smaller than it was when i started doing this ;) LOL

I do what Ulrike said, mostly trying belts at different angles...some work better if you pull them straight up and others work better if you pull the end back through the beltpath and from that direction. I try all angles before I am satisfied that I've done everything to get that particular belt to tighten. I also do a lot of rocking and wiggling.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Not a tech, but....

I'm small enough that I climb right up into the seat ... when I install either RF or FF, I'm light enough that the only way I can get a good install is to literally squat in the seat with both feet (I wear easy on/off shoes for this, LOL) - balancing this way is not easy! I have to admit I'm jealous of my cousin who can get a good install just pushing one knee into a seat *SIGH*

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Unregistered said:
I guess what made it hard in this vehicle was that the belt didn't slide easily through the part of the buckle on the belt when I tried to tighten it. I had to use both hands one to pull the lap portion and the other to pull the shoulder portion. In my van I can easily pull the whole belt (lap portion and shoulder) tight without having to feed and pull. I was practically on my head at one point with my rear in the air. I just couldn't picture doing that with anyone watching!!

Ulrike you may move this if you wish, thanks!
C.

I know when I first started installing seats I was so worried of someone looking at my rear end. But, After a few car seat check events that worry soon went away. Now most parents either go to the opposite side of the car I am working on and watch from there or they sit up front and look back over to see what I am doing. This way they don't have to look at my rear end.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC