How long did you keep kids harnessed?

FrogJuice

DH wants to move DD1 into a booster, I don't like the idea and neither does DD, we are in the market for a new seat to move DD2 up, and I think the Nautilus is perfect for a 6.5yo, since it converts into a booster, but he is fighting me on buying another harnessed seat, he says she is big enough for the booster. I told him that more then that goes along with moving her to a booster. She still moves, she's only 40pds, and we have a trip to disneyland planned in June and we are having to drive over 1400mi to get there and another 1400mi back and would prefer her in a harness. DD1 herself doesn't want to sit in a booster fulltime, she currently does sit in a turbobooster once in a great while.
So what age did you stop harnessing, what made you stop, and do you think I'm crazy for wanting a soon to be 7yo harnessed for another year or two?

ADS

Mama!

My dd is 38 lbs, 4.5 yrs, and will be harnessed to the limit of the Regent, whenever that is.

Ds is 2.5 and 31 ish lbs, and will be harnessed for a very very long time.

We won't do boosters til we have to, I suppose.

Since she wants to stay harnessed, I'd let her.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Tucker will stay harnessed as long as there is a seat that allows her to be harnessed in.

I wasn not so good with my boys, but that was 18 years ago.

I think your idea is fine.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I think the Nautilus sounds like a great solution.

While I would be fine with someone her age/size in a booster, if she still wants to be harnessed and won't sit still, then a harness is perfect for her. A harnessed seat will also be much safer for those long drives as well... she can fall asleep with no fears of slumping. :)

NVMBR02

I don't think you are crazy at all. I think it depends on the child. I think a seat like the Nautilus is perfect for her, since if in a year you decide she is ready for a booster, you wont have to buy another seat. Plus at $150 it isn't much more than most of the decent booster.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter will be six in March. She's little (see siggy). I will keep her harnessed in our vehicles at least until she hits 50 pounds and probably a good deal longer, although at this point I would allow her to use a good high-backed booster in a friend's car (it hasn't come up yet -- I'm usually the driving mom).

tlj

I just put my 6yo ds in the Nautilus. He'd been in a HBB for over a year. I just told him it was safer that way. He's about 50lbs. He'll stay in it for probably two years (depending on when he hits the limits) and then we can use it as a booster. He seems to like sitting in it. It is harder to get into and out of than the booster, but all in all, I feel so much better knowing he is in it.
He rides with DH every morning to school and DH didn't put up a fuss (although I'm certain he was rolling his eyes when that first day) when I started ds back in the harness.

I just asked DS if he liked the Nautilus--he said he doesn't like that his papa has to get him in and out of it. That seems to be the only complaint.

Before I found this site, I'd have put my kids in a HBB when they were 40lbs. Now, I'd feel guilty that my ds was in a HBB for so long.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
6-7ish...I still have a Husky (Regent) that I think my two older ones still fit in (ds' favorite seat ever! I just can't make it work with our current set up, but can't bear to get rid of it...it'll expire when dd2 is 5.5... Then I don't know if I'll put her in a booster or what...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think the Nautilus sounds like a great solution.

While I would be fine with someone her age/size in a booster, if she still wants to be harnessed and won't sit still, then a harness is perfect for her. A harnessed seat will also be much safer for those long drives as well... she can fall asleep with no fears of slumping. :)

ITA.

Does he like racing? Tell him if he's gung ho on a booster that you'd really love this one (and get your DD to go along). http://www.elitecarseats.com/Recaro-Start.pro

Then maybe mention that the Graco has a harness, is a high back and a low back booster, goes to 100 pounds and not 80, and it's $150....

Wendy

Jordynsmama

My dd is 5 yrs 3 months and riding in her Regent that we bought earlier this yr. She will use it at least fro the next 2 yrs-if not longer.

My dd will be 6 in March (YIKES) and is still in a MA/BV/Radian. She got a PW but doesn't use it hardly. I am debating on getting her a Nautilus or not.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
DD1 turned 6 years old recently, harnessed as long as she fits the seats in my siggy.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My daughter was harnessed to age 6...but she is very tall and is closer in size to an average 10 year old. My sons will be harnessed until around 6 also since they are taking after their sisters tall-ness. I will use our Boulevard/Marathons until they are outgrown and then I will move them to Regents.

katiesmommy

Well, my oldest sister was 8. She was moved for 2 reasons, 1, she was asking to be moved, and 2, my brother needed her seat. My younger sister just recently moved at 9 years. But cried when she had to give up her seat. But she was just barely fitting in it anymore, so there you go. I don't think you're crazy, if she'd rather be harnessed, why not let her be harnessed.

ZephyrBlue

My oldest DD will be 8 in May and she's still harnessed. I thought she was transitioning towards a booster full-time, but honestly, I know that a harness is safer than a booster and seatbelt, so I'm keeping her harnessed most of the time now. She occasionally rides in a Recaro Vivo Lite booster, but is harnessed 95% of the time. We just bought the Nautilus after selling our Regent and the N is working out great.

scatterbunny

Once a child is at least 40 pounds and age 5-6, I'm fine with booster use as long as the child is mature enough to use it properly at all times. That's the gold standard, IMO. My own child used a booster part-time for a couple of years, but wasn't mature enough for the freedom a booster offers on longer trips until this summer, at age 6. I'd still like a harnessed seat to use on those longer trips (WHY do I always figure this out after I've traded my harnessed seats? :rolleyes: ), but dd is getting so darn tall that harnessed options are running out.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My oldest is 6.5yrs old and still in a Britax Regent. She prefers to be in her 5pt harness seat. My dh agrees with me though and doesn't question me one carseats. He just goes along with it. She will remain in the Regent until she outgrows it or it expires.

jdubsm

My twins turn six next month and still love their Regents. I've bought them Parkways but they both prefer the harness. I'll keep them in them as long as I can.

Calideedle

DS is almost 4yrs and harnessed & DD is 2yrs and harnessed and RFing.

I PRAY by the time they get too big for their current HW seat there will be a newer one out with WAY higher weight limits!

DS is currently in a Regent with YEARS to spare!

I do not want the day to come when they are not harnessed!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC