Square One Car Seat Wise....

Mylilboyblue

So today I took my growing boy to the doctor and he is now 19.9 lbs and 28.5 inches....AT SIX MONTHS! I know there are one year olds on this board who are smaller. After my BLVD fiasco, I am now back at square one with buying another seat for my car. We have already decided that my old MA is going into DH's truck when DS grows out of the RA rear-facing and for now DS is riding in a SS1 in my car (in the cool Eclipse print) until the weather warms up, or he grows out of it. What do we get? I inquired at my job about ordering a Signo, though my Car Seat manger hasn't gotten back to me yet, and I have checked out the ETA, but really don't like the way the harness adjusts. Do I just get another MA (hopefully AFTER they raise the RFing limits of the seat) deal with the lack to TSIP and save my money up for a Regent? Or try out the Signo with the chance that I hate it and then be stuck selling yet another thing on ebay and loosing money. :confused: So stressed about this!

My lil peanut (or not so much) deserves the best, whatever that is!

Are breastfed babies normally this fat???

ADS

natysr

If it were me, I'd get another Marathon. I love the Marathon and feel that Jordan is very safe in it even without the wings. It still has the EPS foam.

As far as breastfed babies being fat....not always. My son was breastfed and was always a peanut. He didn't double his birth weight (of 6 lb. 8 oz.) until at least 6 months old.

Shaunam

My DS was exclusively breastfed and bigger than that. LOL They DO slim down, I promise! Don't freak out about his size just yet. It wouldn't hurt to start saving up for a bigger car seat, especially if you are like us and on a very tight budget, but he won't need it for a while yet. My big boy just turned 3 today and he's close to the top slots of the marathon, but nowhere near the weight limit. He's in a regent, but I doubt the regent would be absolutely necessary until closer to 4 for him.

We have an ETA and it really is great. You get used to the harness. And if you think you really won't like the harness, I think you'd be fine getting a seat that goes to 33 lbs rf'ing. It's probably going to take him a long time to get there. Really. My DS was 24 lbs at 6 months and 30 lbs at a year. Then he started eating solid foods (at 15 months :rolleyes: ) and LOST weight. He just got to 32 lbs fully clothed at 3 years.

Pick whatever seat you feel most comfortable with. I really wouldn't worry about those extra 2 lbs.

Suzibeck

If you like the MA you have, I'd go with another one. I really like my MA.

My first two breastfed babies doubled their birth weights before they were 3 months old. They both hit 20# by 6 months but then slowed way down and were about 22# at a year. My 3rd baby, also breastfed, didn't double her birth weight for nearly a year and didn't hit 20# until 18 months. I don't think it is possible to overfeed a breastfed baby, if all they are getting in breast milk. Some babies are fat, some are thin, and most change over time. I'm sure your little one is just fine!

For the record, my middle dd was off the charts on weight as an infant for a while. She was covered in rolls of fat. Now, at age 8, she is a skinny minny needing size 4/5 pants around but needing 10 for length. So fat babies don't necessarily stay fat. ;)

melniemi

My middle two were both about that size at 6 months! Bigger than my baby is at a year. I agree that if you love your marathon, get another. Who knows what kind of seat there will be in 2-3 years if your son outgrows the marathon or you want to rf longer? Maybe there will be a 40# rf seat?? We can always hope right?

sirrahn

My oldest DS was 19lbs 14oz at 6 mo and only 23 lbs at a year. Lots of breastfed babies follow a similar pattern so I wouldn't freak out about the car seat at all yet.

My younger 3 weren't nearly so big (my youngest wasn't over 20 lbs until she turned 2!) and I nursed them the same. They just grow the way they're supposed to:)

arly1983

Good Luck on the carseat decisions.

If you think there is a possibility you will need to sell a Signo, I wouldn't get it. Take it from someone who knows, they are not as well known and would be harder to sell than a Britax.

mominabigtruck

Dallas was that big at 6 months and 30lbs at a year old, but he can still squeeze into a ma just barely now at 5.5. Of course he has my extremely short torso, but he's still in the 90th percentile for weight.

skaterbabs

I'd go with the EFTA over the MA at this point because of the higher RF weight limit. That extra 2 pounds may be very valuable to you. :twocents:

tl01

As far as breastfed babies begin fat goes.. my DS was 22lbs 10ozs at 6.5 months. Don't worry though.. they do slow down in their growth. He's 22 months now at 30.5 lbs and 35 inches tall. I'm hoping he stays under 33 lbs while dressed until he's 2 b/c I won't FFing him any sooner than that. I think we will last that long!

Mylilboyblue

Thanks for your replies. I guess I will wait a bit longer to buy his convertable for my car when we see what is out and if Britax raises the RF weight limit. We don't use DH's car that often so it really isn't a huge deal yet, and he still fits in the RA there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC