Marathon Harness isn't tightening properly...

Gsanmb

Help, this is driving me bananas. My son's "Cowmoo" marathon is not tightening properly. It gets to a point and then whenever you pull on it more (even the quick pulls) it tightens and then undoes.

I looked in the back, nothing blocking it.

I had problems with the Decathlon and sent it back to Britax and they sent me this instead. I am very frustrated. It's too cold out to have to play games with the harness every time I put him in the seat.

Help!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I have trouble with my Marathons. The colder it gets, the harder it is to get them tight. I haven't seen them loosen on their own, though, that's a new one. I'd call them abut it. If you have to use the seat in the meantime, try pushing down on the adjuster tab to "lock" it in place after you get it as tight as you can.

Also, if it's front facing, reach under the seat and pull all the slack out of the adjuster strap before pulling on the strap on the front side of the seat.

Wynters*Mom

Help, this is driving me bananas. My son's "Cowmoo" marathon is not tightening properly. It gets to a point and then whenever you pull on it more (even the quick pulls) it tightens and then undoes.

Help!

I noticed the same thing when I first got my Marathon. I was pulling out on the strap. I tried pulling straight down and it seemed to work better for me. Just a thought. :) Are you pulling out or down?

Gsanmb

Pulling out.

I will try pulling down.

It is forward facing, and I do remove the slack every time first (started doing that when we had the Decathlon problems).

This is aggravating, it's an expensive seat and GAH! My hands are so cold trying to fiddle constantly.

Gsanmb

Thinking of switching out the seat for a while.

I have in my dh's car a Platinum Cargo that I could use for a while.

I am thinking of replacing dd's Marathon (which she hates b/c of the crotchstrap -- she's 4.5 yrs old and 35 lbs.) with the new Nautilus. Maybe I should just get two Nautilus?! I may wait a little time first and see if they come out with a prettier pattern for the girls...

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I think that what you're describing might be the same thing that my BV is doing and it drives me crazy! When I put DS in it, I tighten the straps, but they seem to be not quite tight enough and when I try to get that extra 1/2" or so of slack out, it pulls tight, but when I let go of the strap, the harness pulls right back out to where it was. It's hard to describe, but does it sound like what your Marathon is doing? :confused: I've never heard anyone else complain about this particular problem and I've wondered about calling Britax, but I'm sure they'd want me to send it to them and they'd try it out and say it was fine (because when I try it without DS in the seat, it works just fine!)

mamabear

mine is starting to do the same thing.:mad:

It's like it almost wants to ratchet one tighter, but just won't, and slips back to the position before.

It's frustrating my DD who likes to be "really tight, mom!!!"

mamaofthree

I think this is just a Britax thing. Their adjuster works weird. It honestly bugs me pretty bad. I love the seat otherwise, or I'd have returned it. Kinda wishing I had bought the Triumph Advance though. I just don't loosen the harness much if at all to get ds in and out, and I hold the tab down on the adjuster while tightening.

Kimberly

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
This doesn't seem to be a problem on my MA, yet.... only on my BV. I'll try to hold the tab down when I adjust it, but I can't help but feel like it shouldn't be happening.

Gsanmb

I think that what you're describing might be the same thing that my BV is doing and it drives me crazy! When I put DS in it, I tighten the straps, but they seem to be not quite tight enough and when I try to get that extra 1/2" or so of slack out, it pulls tight, but when I let go of the strap, the harness pulls right back out to where it was. It's hard to describe, but does it sound like what your Marathon is doing? :confused: I've never heard anyone else complain about this particular problem and I've wondered about calling Britax, but I'm sure they'd want me to send it to them and they'd try it out and say it was fine (because when I try it without DS in the seat, it works just fine!)

PRECISELY what is happening to me. I am very frustrated with it! :thumbsdown:

I re-installed it, pushing it as tall as possible in the seat. I made sure there was nothing blocking the path, and I pull down now instead of out. It helps, but only slightly.

I just replaced dd's Marathon temporarily with my spare Platinum Cargo because the crotch strap was bothering her, so it's not available for ds. I'm thoroughly tired of fighting with this harness every time, it's too cold!

I am considering replacing dd's seat with the Nautilus when it becomes available again. What can I do for ds? Maybe the Radian? I don't really need the RF option but willing to consider it for a decent seat.

arly1983

I am considering replacing dd's seat with the Nautilus when it becomes available again. What can I do for ds? Maybe the Radian? I don't really need the RF option but willing to consider it for a decent seat.

I have heard the canadian members say the radians adjuster is tough/sticks when it is cold. :(

UlrikeDG

Ah, that half-inch-in/half-inch-out thing is exactly what happens to me, too. I thought you meant that it was loosening a lot.

Mine only does it when it's cold out, and lately, it's been subzero even before you count the windchill. It also works fine when there's no one in the seat.

mamaofthree

Yep, mine's only that last half inch or so too that goes back in when I pull it. If I take him out I can tighten it completely flat as well. I really do think it's a Britax thing, not a defect, as long as you are only talking about it being hard to get perfectly tight and it working fine otherwise. You can't pull the harness loose without pulling on the lever right? I don't even live where it is that cold, so I imagine it could be worse if cold weather affects the mechanism. I've heard the Radian is even worse in that regard. There's been lots of Britax newbies posting about this prob. Another member here emailed Britax about it and they sent her a detailed response, including lots of tips. I personally think if they are able to send a two page (or whatever length it was) response that they need to put some more detail in their manual about how their harness system works, so people don't think they have a broken seat. That's my :twocents: anyway. I sometimes wonder whether I would have been happier with the Triumph Advance, because I have an original Triumph and love the cranking harness knobs.

Kimberly

Last edited:

all together ooky

This is a long shot, but try getting a replacement adjuster strap. I have no idea why, but when I replaced my adjuster strap because the original was starting a fray slightly the new strap runs like butter. Huge improvement. And yes, it's threaded correctly.

Gsanmb

. It also works fine when there's no one in the seat.

Yes, mine too. But I need it to work when he IS in the seat :D

Yep, mine's only that last half inch or so too that goes back in when I pull it. If I take him out I can tighten it completely flat as well. I really do think it's a Britax thing, not a defect, as long as you are only talking about it being hard to get perfectly tight and it working fine otherwise. You can't pull the harness loose without pulling on the lever right? There's been lots of Britax newbies posting about this prob. Another member here emailed Britax about it and they sent her a detailed response, including lots of tips. I personally think if they are able to send a two page (or whatever length it was) response that they need to put some more detail in their manual about how their harness system works, so people don't think they have a broken seat.

Seriously that's ridiculous. I mean, this seat was expensive and meant to be great because it can be used properly EVERY time by almost ANYONE. If I, as a carseat fanatic, am stressing over it, can you imagine that someone else might not even bother trying to tighten properly after having this issue?! :mad:

This is a long shot, but try getting a replacement adjuster strap. I have no idea why, but when I replaced my adjuster strap because the original was starting a fray slightly the new strap runs like butter. Huge improvement. And yes, it's threaded correctly.

I will call Britax and tell them I want one. It's worth a shot for sure.

Jeanum

Staff member
That's the million dollar question. The Roundabout adjuster is so buttery smooth in comparison. :love:

singingpond

I think this is actually a pretty common problem (not having the adjuster lock under tension when you're trying to tighten up that last half inch or so). I have this on our Britax Wizard, on our Britax Marathon, as well as on our Radian (all installed RF at the moment, so I can't pull downward on the adjuster straps). I have gotten into the habit of manually rocking the adjuster down onto the strap (thus locking it) after each of the last few tightening pulls. Lately, I just don't loosen the harness when taking the kids out, and that is easier in some ways, harder in others.

Yes, it seems like this is a problem the carseat makers should be able to solve (and some apparently have solved it -- e.g. the Roundabout, and the Recaro seats are reputed to have well-functioning adjusters also). I figure, though, that it just has to do with the balance of forces that happens as you pull on the strap of a RF seat -- since the strap is angled somewhat upward when you pull, you are fighting the spring on the adjuster lock. At some point, when you pull hard enough (and when the strap is trying hard to go back through the adjuster and get looser again), the spring isn't strong enough to lock down the adjuster and catch the strap under tension. This is when the manual assist is needed.

Katrin

Gsanmb

Okay maybe it's just me but has anyone else been on hold with Britax for 45 minutes?! :thumbsdown:

I had it on speakerphone as I was busy cooking but then I had to go out and get dd from the schoolbus, so I gave up.

What a pain in the patootie. Grrrr.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC