Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Using LATCH in Center Seating Positions

Most vehicles do not have three full sets of LATCH in the same row (also known as UAS in Canada). Using LATCH in the center position without a third set of dedicated lower anchors is called borrowing. It is only allowed if specifically stated in both the vehicle and carseat owner's manuals. Each lower anchor can only be used for one carseat at a time. Never attach two lower anchor hooks to the same lower anchor.

There are specific standards for LATCH anchors, including spacing. While they may look the same from the outside, there are two ways in which they are connected to the vehicle frame. There is a bar connecting the two anchors for the seating position. Some vehicles are like this: o__o o__o, with no bar in the center seat and some are like this: o__o__o__o, where they are all connected (o represents the lower anchor and __ represents the structural bar hidden beneath the seat connecting the two lower anchors). Vehicles that do not allow borrowing have either no bar in the center to support the anchors or non-standard anchor spacing, or possibly both.

Note: some vehicles with non-standard anchor spacing still allow center LATCH. Remember to consult the carseat manual as many carseats do not allow non-standard spacing for lower anchors.

There are several configurations found in vehicles with three sets of LATCH in one row. Generally, lower anchors cannot be borrowed for other seating positions in these vehicles.

Some have three full sets that can be used simulataneously: o__oo__oo__o.

Others have overlapping anchors: A__AB_CB_C. Positions that overlap cannot be used at the same time.

A few vehicles have a fifth anchor that is shared by the center and outboard positions: o__oo__x__o (with x being the shared anchor). The shared anchor can only be used for one position at a time.

The top tether should always be used for forward facing carseats when available, whether using lower anchors or a seatbelt. It is mandatory for forward facing carseats in Canada.

Seatbelts and LATCH are equally safe. Always follow the manuals for both the vehicle and the carseat. When both methods are allowed, use the one that yields the best install.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Using LATCH in Center Seating Positions

Great article.
    Jen, Former CDN CRS Tech
    DS1 /02, Seatbelt in the driver's seat now!
    DS2 /05, Seatbelt

DS3 /12, Britax Frontier/Parkway SG
    DD1 /15, Rfing Peg PVC

Now remind me to give you rep when I'm not out of it for the day.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post

Now remind me to give you rep when I'm not out of it for the day.

I have been yeahthat'ing you alot today
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

Senior Community Member mommy2env's Avatar

DD1~14yrs old~Seatbelt

DD2~8 yrs old ~Cow Frontier 85 and Pink Monterey
    DS~3 yrs old Britax Roundabout and Coccoro in Licorice/Carrot Cake
    DD3~ 10 weeks in a Chicco Keyfit

Nanette

Thanks for your thorough account. We have a car seat lady install our seats (a pediatric nurse in New York City/car seat safety zealot) and I will ask her for specific vehicle recommendations based on your information and her installation experience.

I really liked this article b/c it offered information I could not find elsewhere. I'm trying to resolve this issue with my 2004 Accord. Anchors are
    o__o o__o
    All four anchors appear to be equally spaced, but I don't know if there is a bar in the middle or not. The manual is a little vague. I will continue to research.
    Last edited by stefanie720; 04-10-2008 at 03:23 PM.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Honda does not allow borrowing the outboard lower anchors to do a center LATCH installation at all. A few Hondas have dedicated sets of lower LATCH anchors for the center rear seating position (Ridgeline, newer CRVs, for example) but not in the Accord, and borrowing the outboard anchors in a Honda is not allowed per the LATCH manual. For reference, here is the list by vehicle manufacturer from the LATCH manual: http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/pg_126_max_wt_07.pdf
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar