Which vans with 2 buckets and 1 bench seat?

Saramomofmany

I'm curious if anyone knows which vans(years/make, etc). that have 2 bucket seats and 1 bench seat? I should add that we would only be able to get something older, so probably 1996-1999 range??

For our 2 older children they are in Regents, so I'm thinking our best chances of fitting in a van would be if we had 2 buckets for the huge Regents, and then try to fit the other 3 on a bench seat.

Thanks in advance, Sara

Last edited:
ADS

miraclebabies

My sister just got a 2003 Pontiac Montana and she has 2 catian chairs in the middle row and a bench in the back row. I has two remote slidding doors. We put both our DD's rear facing in their MA in the captian chairs and it fit really well. A few years ago I had a Chevy Venture which is basically the same as the Pontiac and it also had 2 captian chairs and a bench. At the time I had a daycare and could place all 5 carseats in it.

mominabigtruck

My mom's 98 caravan has two captains chairs and a bench in the back. I'm not a huge fan of it installing seats because of the seatbelts, it has lightweight locking belts instead of the retracting belts I'm used to. I have put 5 seats in it though so it is doable.

keri1292

Our 99 Windstar is available with two buckets and third row bench. It also comes with 5 tethers! Not sure if you could get 3 across the bench seat though. It has good crash test results and we got ours for less than $4,000. :thumbsup:

lilmama2dsndd

I have a 1997 GMC Safari, it has the 2nd row as bucket seats and the 3rd is a bench. DS's regent fits great into the bucket seat

It however does not have top tether anchor points, but GMC will install one for free, any additional cost almost $65 for the kit & installation.

Granola

Our 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager came with two middle row (outboard) captain's chairs and a third row bench seat. The vehicle was retrofitted with tether anchors by a Chrysler technician.

We only have one child and wanted him in the center of the second row, so removed the captain's chairs and moved the bench seat forward to the second row where he rides in his Regent.

The bench seat seems very short to me when installed in the second row, and it would be impossible to fit other seats next to it with the Regent in the middle of the bench, but it should work fine with two outboard seats (though we haven't tried it yet).

I wanted to add that last week we transported another child in our car and put the captain's chairs back in the second row for the trip. One child was in a Marathon and the other in a Regent, and they fit perfectly.

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Our 2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager came with two middle row (outboard) captain's chairs and a third row bench seat. The vehicle was retrofitted with tether anchors by a Chrysler technician.

We only have one child and wanted him in the center of the second row, so removed the captain's chairs and moved the bench seat forward to the second row where he rides in his Regent.

The bench seat seems very short to me when installed in the second row, and it would be impossible to fit other seats next to it with the Regent in the middle of the bench, but it should work fine with two outboard seats (though we haven't tried it yet).

You can fit three across that bench... as long as it's the right combination. ;)

Granola

Hi Jen,

What are some examples of some other combinations that would work (with the Regent in the middle)? My DH swears no other seats will fit next to a center-installed Regent, so this would be good info to have ahead of time for the next time we have to drive other kids. Thanks! :)

I should add: because I really don't want to move my DS outboard when transporting other kids!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Hi Jen,

What are some examples of some other combinations that would work (with the Regent in the middle)? My DH swears no other seats will fit, so this would be good info to have for the next time we have to drive other kids. Thanks! :)

I should add: because I really don't want to move my DS outboard when transporting other kids!

I've never seen a Regent IRL... just read/saw pictures of how big it is (hazards of living in Canada ;)). Possibly two Radian's although I doubt it. I don't know if you can fit three across when one of those three is a Regent.

If they're all FFing, then...
3 Radian's will easily fit.
MA, Radian, MA will fit.
Ma, Radian, Parkway will fit.

Ummm... various other combinations will fit, but none with the Regent that I know of, sorry. :eek:

ETA: For what it's worth, my kids have *never* ridden in the center, they've always been outboard... unless I have 5 kids in the van, no one uses the center. :)

melniemi

I saw that the Chevy Venture was mentioned and I have one and think that the 3rd row is very small. Depending on which seats you have, it may be doable. My only success was Highback Turbo, keyfit w/base, highback turbo. I have a solid back row rather than the split bench and I have leather seats - I could not get an acceptable ff radian install in any of the 3 seats in the 3rd row. I felt that was my only hope for 3 harnessed across. A cargo *might* fit in place of the Turbos, but I didn't try it. I don't have access to a bunch of seats to try out different combos. Good luck. It seems like lots of people have great success w/3 across in the caravans.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC