My baby is outgrowig the blvd

mominabigtruck

So I turned him ffing last week because he weighed 32lbs with clothes but no shoes on. I went to install the blvd friday night and he is almost at the top of the seat. He has one full turn before the seat is outgrown, maybe 1/2 inch to an inch, its hard to tell. Am I crazy or can a blvd be outgrown by height by a 2 year old? I don't know what to do, he's on the second slots of the husky but he just seems so small it in because really he is little, he just has a freakishly long torso.

I'll post pics later, its like 2 degrees outside right now:eek:

ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am sorry :(. Are you sure it is as high as it will go. The wing will come out over the shell a inch or 2 when in it's highest postion. My gets stuck sometimes.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Uninstall it and make sure the harness is as loose as possible. Then look at the back of the seat and make sure it's really as high as it will go. As PP said, sometimes it gets stuck and needs a little nudge.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Whoa...he was really 39 inches at 2? (looking at siggy)... he IS a big boy! I hope the BV can just be dialed up more, and make sure the cover isn't pulling the straps down...the headrest cover never lines up well with the straps... It just seems like maybe he should be higher up in the Regent if he's really outgrowing the BV, doesn't it?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My 23-month-old niece is not all that far from outgrowing the Boulevard either. I am guessing she has 9-12 months left in it?

arly1983

I don't think it is odd. Jackson has outgrown it and he is 41.5 ins now so that sounds about right, I think he was about 34 months old when he creeped over the top slots. I am unsure of his torso though.

Somehow he still has a bit left in the EFTA (about an inch) and a smidge in the marathon (about a quarter of an inch)

I would make sure it is all the way up. Mine would get to a certain point and stick and I would have to give it a hard turn and it would pop and slide up a bit more.

LuvBug

Another one who doesn't think it is odd.
When DS turned FFing he went straight to the top slots. By 32m he was rounding up on the top slots, so I sold it and got a husky. Here he was the last time he sat in it before it went to its new owner http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL493/2241001/9131735/223253106.jpg
Also a phenomenon about the britax seats... even though the top slots measure 17" or so, they always seem to be outgrown way before then. DS has long outgrown the MA, but is just now even with the 2nd to top slots of the husky/regent- which measure about 17" as well.

henrietta

My dn is about 41" tall and about even w/the top slots on the FPSVD, and using the top slots on our Decathlon w/not a lot of room left, so it's possible (and he turned 2 in September!)

henrietta

Momof4Girls

My BLVD manual says it is outgrown when, with the headrest in its highest position, the tips of the ears are even with the top of the seat, shoulders over the top "slot" position, or over the weight limit.

Is the issue the shell of the seat, or the harness slot?

My WZ, however, does not specify the harness in the highest position.

My 43" 15.5" torso 5 y/o fit in it still...

Raechel

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
My BLVD manual says it is outgrown when, with the headrest in its highest position, the tips of the ears are even with the top of the seat, shoulders over the top "slot" position, or over the weight limit.

Is the issue the shell of the seat, or the harness slot?

My WZ, however, does not specify the harness in the highest position.

My 43" 15.5" torso 5 y/o fit in it still...

Raechel

For the BV in the FF position it is out grown when your child shoulders are above the highest harness height or the max weight is reached

Same goes for the WZ.
When child is FF the harness needs to be at or above child shoulders.

The adjustor knob sometime sticks and the wing will not move up to the highest possible position.

ZephyrBlue

deborah at britax told me that the bv is outgrown ff when the top of the ears are even w/the top of the seat shell, not the headrest. the other criteria are shoulders over the topmost harness slot and weight.

Momof4Girls

I JUST looked at my manual today, as I was moving seats around, and I remembered having this discussion before...my manual states that when the headrest is in the highest position, the seat is outgrown FF if the tips of the ears are even with the headrest.

Calling Britax to check on it in the AM.

Raechel

ZephyrBlue

I JUST looked at my manual today, as I was moving seats around, and I remembered having this discussion before...my manual states that when the headrest is in the highest position, the seat is outgrown FF if the tips of the ears are even with the headrest.

I'm interested in what Britax says when you call. I was told that the headrest is not reinforced like the shell- basically the headrest is just a piece of plastic, but the shell is thicker, and that's why you can't use the shell as a guide for how high the head can be. Please post back when you hear :)

mominabigtruck

I personally would not use a seat if any of the child's head was out of the shell. I don't care what the manual says, it just doesn't seem safe to me and I'm not going to do it.:twocents:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
How could the ears be at the top of the headrest without the shoulders getting all crammed up against the headrest and the straps being quite far below the shoulders, though? I'd really stick to the harness measure (shoulders *just* barely above the top position/slots) and ignore the whole ear criterion, personally. (the only seat where the tops of ears reach the top of the seat at about the same time the shoulders go over the top slots is the old Triumph, unless someone wants to show me their unusally long necked child having this situation in a Britax?)

fyrfightermomma

I am very bummed about the BLVD too. I spent alot of money on this seat, put my 2 1/2 year old in it when we got it two weeks ago and she will easily outgrow it within a year. I don't understand....they make the law 4 or 40 pounds, so most seats went up to 40 pounds...yet most 4 year olds (or 40 pounds kids) outgrew those 40 pounds seats well before by height. So they said, "hey lets make bigger seats that go to 65 pounds" so you figure you are getting a seat with "extended harnessing" yet alot of these kids are STILL outgrowing them around age 4 or shortly after. Why spend all the money on a "extended harnessing" seat when your only going to get to 4 anyways? They advertise that these will last so much longer, but for alot of people that doesn't seem to be the case! I am just irritated at carseat manufacturers. They need to make seats that accuratly hold children who are average size! My daughter is by no means a huge child. I can't return my blvd now and it just seems like a waste of money. Any one else get frustrated???

melniemi

I am very bummed about the BLVD too. I spent alot of money on this seat, put my 2 1/2 year old in it when we got it two weeks ago and she will easily outgrow it within a year. I don't understand....they make the law 4 or 40 pounds, so most seats went up to 40 pounds...yet most 4 year olds (or 40 pounds kids) outgrew those 40 pounds seats well before by height. So they said, "hey lets make bigger seats that go to 65 pounds" so you figure you are getting a seat with "extended harnessing" yet alot of these kids are STILL outgrowing them around age 4 or shortly after. Why spend all the money on a "extended harnessing" seat when your only going to get to 4 anyways? They advertise that these will last so much longer, but for alot of people that doesn't seem to be the case! I am just irritated at carseat manufacturers. They need to make seats that accuratly hold children who are average size! My daughter is by no means a huge child. I can't return my blvd now and it just seems like a waste of money. Any one else get frustrated???

If you just got it 2 weeks ago, you should be able to return it. In fact I would, even if you lose a little in shipping or restocking, because you will still get most of your money back. Then put that money toward a regent so you will be able to harness her for much longer.

Or you could sell it on craigslist or carseat swap.

Momof4Girls

After sitting on hold for like 15 minutes, verdict:

Seat shell only. Contrary to the manual! Same with the Wizards, FYI

Raechel

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC