tallest high back boosters?

henrietta

My niece is on the top setting of both the Compass B500 and Fisher Price Safe Voyage boosters, and she is about 51" tall (maybe a bit taller now?) She's really not that long torsoed, so I don't get how a 57" tall kid still fits in these (except when you can remove the back, like on the FP).

Which high back boosters are taller? She's only 6 years old and really needs to have that back on it if possible.

Thanks!

henrietta

ADS

crunchierthanthou

I think the tallest ones currently on the market are the Britax Parkway and Monarch or Graco Airbooster. Maybe some of the Recaros? The Parkway is being closed out (discontinued?) and some posters have found it for around $25 at Sears stores.

Mattkarn

The Recaro Vivo is tall too, 21 inches on the highest setting. The 7.5 year old I watch, who has an 18.5 inch torso still has about 3 inches of growning room. Also the Sunshine Kids Monterey booster is supposted to adjust pretty tall too, about 22 inches according to the measurements in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=28915&highlight=montery. It is supposed to be released in February, if the release date is not pushed back. Good luck finding a booster. :)

henrietta

"Graco Airbooster",

I messed around w/the Airbooster at Target, and it was exactly the same height as the Turbo booster next to it. Maybe it fits differently and is taller b/c of it, I don't know?

henrietta

Michi

The Monarch is quite a bit higher than the Graco seats on it's top setting.
(We have both, and her is a side by side comparison)
IMG_2826.jpg
IMG_2827.jpg

(If you notice where the belt guides on the Graco are, the Britax's are a a few inches higher)

PHaley

I'm not really onto boosters yet as most of the kids I watch are still rf & if not are definately harnessed but I'm wondering how come the booster only hold a similar torso height as the regent? what do kids that come out of the regent use? do they go straight to adult seatbelt? didn't mean to side track just curious!

crunchierthanthou

I'm not really onto boosters yet as most of the kids I watch are still rf & if not are definately harnessed but I'm wondering how come the booster only hold a similar torso height as the regent? what do kids that come out of the regent use? do they go straight to adult seatbelt? didn't mean to side track just curious!

As long as the vehicle seat provides head support, they can use a low back booster. Children outgrowing the Regent by height are often old enough that they can sit properly positioned in a seatbelt, but need a little extra height to get a proper fit.

Pablomichi, is that the TB or Air Booster?

skaterbabs

The Regent is outgrown by height at about the same time the high back Turbo is. In my experience, a backless booster is often still necessary.

henrietta

We bought dn the Compass B500 a few years back to use in her grandmother's car, and I recently bought her the FPSV booster to use in her Mom's car, b/c she was always falling asleep and out of position. She really needs to be in a high back booster if possible, but it has to be something I can buy her for cheap, b/c her mom and dad don't have the $$$ and I don't have tons of it either. They'll do the minimums (backless) b/c that's all they can afford right now. Before that, she was in a Graco Cargo/Ultra (whatever it was about 4 years ago) combo seat using it as a booster. The only regular high back boosters she's ever had, I bought her. So, it may be that when she totally outgrows both of these, she'll have to just use the backless boosters she has.

Thanks!

henrietta

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I think the tallest ones currently on the market are the Britax Parkway and Monarch or Graco Airbooster. Maybe some of the Recaros? The Parkway is being closed out (discontinued?) and some posters have found it for around $25 at Sears stores.

The Air Booster's belt guides are the same height as the Turbos - it's the headrest itself that is taller:

Turbo:
IMG_1605.jpg

Air:
IMG_1604.jpg

littleangelfire

Not - to hijack, and I can start another thread if you want me to, my 9 year old sister is just about outgrowing her turbobooster. I have tried her with the 5 step test yet, but she's only 60lbs or so, she's definitely at least 4'9", just nowhere near 80lbs. In my mom's CRV maybe its not as a big a deal b/c there are headrests, but my Civic just has those bumps. So what do I do now? $100 for a booster isn't possible, unfortunately, though I will make a trip to Sears and see if they have any parkways for cheap.

skaterbabs

The PWs bought my boys a little over a year from the time they outgrew the Turbo Booster. I don't know which (if any) boosters are taller than the Parkway. My kids are about out of the PWs (we've had a couple of huge growth spurts), and there's nothing left for them once they're completely out of them.

Unfortunately, there's a real lack of options right now....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Not - to hijack, and I can start another thread if you want me to, my 9 year old sister is just about outgrowing her turbobooster. I have tried her with the 5 step test yet, but she's only 60lbs or so, she's definitely at least 4'9", just nowhere near 80lbs. In my mom's CRV maybe its not as a big a deal b/c there are headrests, but my Civic just has those bumps. So what do I do now? $100 for a booster isn't possible, unfortunately, though I will make a trip to Sears and see if they have any parkways for cheap.

Weight is irrelevant (they only 'say' 80 pounds because that's what most boosters used to go to, and no one wanted to advocate misuse if you had a heavier kid). I'm sure she'll still need at least a backless in the CR-V (maybe not, but boy, it's really noticeable how much better the belt fits on the 'almost passing the 5 step test' kids when they are still in a booster... my 10 yo doesn't *need* one in dad's car, but his hips aren't going to hold that belt low in a crash without it). Good luck finding a cheap PW for your car, and if not, see how she fits without a booster, the bumps might be taller than they look behind her head.

littleangelfire

thanks for the help guys! Good to know the weight really isn't the biggest issue. She's pretty good about not leaning forward so I don't worry about that too much. She's just so skinny! LOL My car's so small I like her to have that extra protection. I'll have to go down to both cars today and see how she does without them.
Thanks!

Kat_Momof3

when my son outgrew the Regent, he was already JUST too tall for the Turbobooster and other typical boosters with backs.

I put him in the Parkway.

After that, he went to a backless booster.

I would hold out for the new SK Monterey... with a 22" top position, it will be the tallest booster on the market

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC