New Britax Combo???

Safetyfan

I have been reading about the Graco Nautilus. My 31/2 year old and I went and tried one out at Walmart. She said the seat was not comfortable on her head. I did notice it pushed her head slightly forward. When reading on various threads, I came across information about a possible Britax convertible coming to the market. I went to the UK sight to see about the Evolvo 123 ultra that I had heard about from the car-safety web. Seat looks awesome. It has many of the same features that the Nautilus has. However, the weight limit for the harness is only 15kg or 33 pounds. After this you are to use the seatbelt. Maybe the US version will have a higher weight limit. We have only used Britax seats and I have been so happy, I am very afraid to try another brand. I left a message with Britax US about the possibility of a higher weight harnessed seat with the side impact protection. I will let you know what I hear.

I am so happy to discover that many other mothers are as fanatical about car seat safety as I am!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: New Britax Convertable???

Yes, someone has heard another rumour that the new britax combo seat will go to 80...hopefully that's with the harness, but we will have to wait a few months to find out! (I'm not sure who made up the names, but convertible is the one that goes from rearfacing to forward facing, and combination/combo is harnessed to booster...confusing!)

:)

Safetyfan

Re: New Britax Convertible???

Is there a way I can change my original post from Convertible to Combination? This is new territory. We have only used convertibles up till now.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Re: New Britax Convertable???

Do you have an 'edit' button when you check your own post again? (I should know if you do...I think anyone registered does? If not I can fix it for you :) )

Safetyfan

Thank you!
What is your combo preference? My children are in the car 1.5 hours per day with the commute to work, I want a seat with the longest harness time possible and side impact protection. I was going to go with the regent, but it lacks the side impact. The regents have a lower height max. My daughter is already 41 inches tall. I do not want to purchase another seat. I am open for any and all suggestions.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, the longest harness time is the Regent, hands down. It has 20" top slots and an 80 pound limit.

The Nautilus has 18" top slots and a 65 pound harness limit, then goes to a booster to 100 pounds. It can be both a high and low back booster.

The Apex 65 has 17.5" top slots and a 65 pound harness limit, then is a booster to 100 pounds. This is a high back booster only and requires support from the car behind it.

What seat is she in now and how does she fit in it (her shoulders in relation to the slots)? Also, what does she weigh?

Any five point harness offers side impact protection. The Regent is perfectly safe in that regard, nor have the wings been shown to add any safety by US testing. It makes sense, and European testing seems to indicate it, but there's nothing hard and fast in the US telling us that the US seats with wings are safer.

Wendy

Safetyfan

Still in her Britax Roundabout. Shoulder distance about 1 1/2 inch below strap. Weight 31 lbs. All of the seats I have looked at give a height max, should I be more concerned with shoulder distance? The regent was my first choice until I heard about the new Nautilus. My best friend has the Recaro Young Seat, which she loves. I thought the Nautilus looked similiar instyling with longer harness time. Thank you for the input.

Jessica

Safetyfan

Wendy,

Is part of the reason the US has not proved the side wings beneficial because they only to front end collision-type test simulations? If I recall that was the big issue with the consumer reports report on car seat safety. Many of the seats were failing the side impact and higher speed collision simulations, as tested in Europe. I think that it is interesting that Europe will not accept us standards for carseat safety. It is difficult to get an answer about this. The safety seat inspectors say any seat properly installed is better than an expensive seat and all seats on the market passed US standards.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC