Has anyone heard of the Cecilia's Safety Seat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
http://www.wkbw.com/news/consumer/13899522.html

I don't know what I think of it. Something under the seat sounds bad to me, plus if people can ignore that their indicator is on, what's going to stop them from ignoring this light? I think it's maybe better than nothing, provided someone tells her that she may be causing an injury by having a thick pad underneath a carseat.

And speaking of thick pads, on a side note, I checked a seat yesterday that had not one layer of shelf lining, not two, but 16!!!! LOL I had to take it home and count. The FD had also tethered it to the back of the seat, up by the headrest, to some metal they found there. They must have looked hard for that and not seen the tether anchor marking on the trunk floor. Plus it moved three inches. I was not impressed with the FD, as usual.

Wendy

ADS

Splash

There are several devices like that, this woman is not on to anything new. I think it's fairly bogus. Not something I would waste my time and money on.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I have heard of items like this. I do not know that they were hers.
:eek: on the shelf liner! Glad you checked thier seat.

dd9736

I've seen stuff like that before, I'm still not able to understand how babies get forgotten in the car, i go to take them out, even if I don't have them with me. (an alarm would be more annoying than helpful, because when I'm going from my car to my house, I take the babies one at a time.

HEVY

I don't believe any of those ppl forgot the child was in the car. There was the first woman who 'forgot' and they let her get away with it, then there were about 3 other ppl who 'forgot' after that. I guess they figured since the first one got away with it they could too.

Wineaux

We've had plenty of people here (CPST's included) confess that they have forgotten to actually buckle their children into their seats, or only buckled one strap, as well as loose and twisty straps. No, this was not before they found this site, but after.

Hell, I've locked myself out of my own house going to get the mail before and have had to break in through a bedroom window!

There are a lot of things we swear we'd never do, that is until we do them...

arly1983

Its one idea but........I ran out of gas just a couple of weeks ago while I was preoccupied. If you were to be preoccupied enough to forget the child, I don't think you would notice the light.

Wineaux, me and DH locked ourselves out just last night....how embarressing.

crunchierthanthou

I like the idea of a keychain alarm. It could only go off after 10 yards or 2 minutes or something. That would be close enough that you could get inside your house without it going off (like the pp's situation), but have a time limit to make sure you don't get distracted once you're inside. Although, products like that would probably provide a false sense of security and there wouldn't be any reduction in accidents should the sensor or alarm fail.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
We've had plenty of people here (CPST's included) confess that they have forgotten to actually buckle their children into their seats, or only buckled one strap, as well as loose and twisty straps. No, this was not before they found this site, but after.

Hell, I've locked myself out of my own house going to get the mail before and have had to break in through a bedroom window!

There are a lot of things we swear we'd never do, that is until we do them...

:thumbsup:

If it could save even one child's life, it's worth the effort for innovation. The Lenox Tattletale seat ( http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Moms/Story?id=962080&page=2 ) was a similar product in this area, though the company appears to be out of business. Here are a couple others:

http://www.babybeesafe.net

http://www.babyalert.info/home.php

I can't comment on any of these products, but the concern is legitimate, even though it may seem impossible to many parents. Here are a couple websites with more information:

http://www.harrisonshope.org/

http://www.kidsandcars.org/

southpawboston

i agree. i think the concern is in the right place. i also think she is right to suggest something built in to the car similar to the front seat sensors for airbag deactivation that are currently standard in cars. also, i like her other idea:

she's currently working on a key ring device that will sound as you walk
away from the vehicle if your child is still in the car seat.

we all know from the news that kids have died from parents forgetting them in the car. it is not myth, and for at least some of the cases, it truly was accidental. there was even a discussion about this here a long time ago. it happens. for anyone who claims it could never happen, how many kids do you have?

sfeitler

I don't believe any of those ppl forgot the child was in the car. There was the first woman who 'forgot' and they let her get away with it, then there were about 3 other ppl who 'forgot' after that. I guess they figured since the first one got away with it they could too.

Let's not start this debate again. I forgot my infant in the car once for a few minutes--fortunately in a cool garage, and I remembered before she woke up. It happens.

There are other threads debating this topic... I can't find any right now, but they exist on this site.

-Sarah

Last edited:

Suzibeck

Let's not start this debate again. I forgot my infant in the car once for a few minutes--fortunately in a cool garage, and I remembered before she woke up. It happens.

I too, have forgotten an infant in my van. It was my 3rd baby, I ran an errand that I wouldn't normally take the baby with me. I ran into the fabric store to pick up a pattern that I had ordered. I was gone from the car all of 90 seconds. I got in and heard the baby coo and I about died!:eek: I couldn't believe what I had just done!

Momof4Girls

I never have...I've done the opposite (freak out, wondering why the kid wasn't in the car when i got to the destination!). I have 4, ages 5 and under.

arly1983

Here is an idea:

Make it like the seatbelt alarm in Fords

The seats would have sensors in them like the currant airbag and seatbelt sensors, except once you have installed the carseat you can set the vehicle seat so that it knows that that is the unoccupied weight. Then the sensor will be activated when the childs weight is in the seat.
THe alarm would be like the seatbelt alarm, quite annoying. When the car is turned off, the alarm will admit one short lowtone reminder ding. Then in a min, it will coniniously ring until the back doors are opened (something like that) Then if the childs weight is still present in the carseat or no doors have been opened then the cars external alarm will go off until disarmed drawing attention to the car.
How does that sound?

mominabigtruck

I"m not going to say that good parents haven't forgotten their kids before and it been a mistake. But if you're that aware that you have so much stuff going on that you routinely forget your kids that you would buy a product to tell you when you have your child with you then maybe you shouldn't be having kids.

Of course I think the same thing when I see mom's out in public with kids running wild like heathens. If you can't control the ones you've got you shouldn't be allowed to populate the world with more miscreants.:twocents:

Suzibeck

I've only done it once, and only for less than 2 mintues. I like to think that I would remember in a situation like you see on the news sometimes. But, after I did it, even briefly, I can see how it can happen. I do now put my purse in the back seat when ever I have a baby with me so it won't happen again. I certainly don't need some expensive device. Having habits that help prevent the possible forgetting is good. We all have times when we get sick, or overwhelmed, and none of us are perfect.

Oh, and I have freaked out, briefly, wondering where a kid was before too, forgetting they were off with Daddy or something.

heather8808

http://www.wkbw.com/news/consumer/13899522.html

I don't know what I think of it. Something under the seat sounds bad to me, plus if people can ignore that their indicator is on, what's going to stop them from ignoring this light? I think it's maybe better than nothing, provided someone tells her that she may be causing an injury by having a thick pad underneath a carseat.

And speaking of thick pads, on a side note, I checked a seat yesterday that had not one layer of shelf lining, not two, but 16!!!! LOL I had to take it home and count. The FD had also tethered it to the back of the seat, up by the headrest, to some metal they found there. They must have looked hard for that and not seen the tether anchor marking on the trunk floor. Plus it moved three inches. I was not impressed with the FD, as usual.

Wendy

How do u know if this pad is thick or not? have u seen this product? How can u judge something u have not seen or know nothing about?

heather8808

There are several devices like that, this woman is not on to anything new. I think it's fairly bogus. Not something I would waste my time and money on.

I have a ? for u, if so many ppl made this already then why is there not any on the market and why is there all these parents still leaving there kids in the cars?

heather8808

I've seen stuff like that before, I'm still not able to understand how babies get forgotten in the car, i go to take them out, even if I don't have them with me. (an alarm would be more annoying than helpful, because when I'm going from my car to my house, I take the babies one at a time.

How would something beeping to let u remember ur kids in the car be annoying, people who leave there kids in the cars and letting them die is annoying to me.

heather8808

Its one idea but........I ran out of gas just a couple of weeks ago while I was preoccupied. If you were to be preoccupied enough to forget the child, I don't think you would notice the light.

Wineaux, me and DH locked ourselves out just last night....how embarressing.

okay if u dont pay attention to ur gas meter then maybe u shouldnt be driving and thats why the news said this woman is coming out with a keyring that goes off if the kid is still in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC