I ordered a Nautilus...DD is underwhelmed

Yoshi

She saw the picture and said, "That looks like a boy's seat!":mad: "I am not using it!" You know, personally I never liked "girly stuff", this kid inherited the pink velvet fixation from someone else. :rolleyes: So, she WILL ride in it, and it WILL replace her Radian and too bad. I am a mean Mommy. What was Graco thinking with all that gray/black?. A nice plushy tan would have been a step up. Oh well. I will DEFINITELY post comparison pics with the Radian ASAP. It is due to arrive next week.

ADS

HEVY

Yeah for some reason girls become "girly" at 4 years. I was actually gonna ask if she was 4 before I went back to see if you had listed her age. Yep she's 4. :)

CaraMia

So that means I need to get my 3 yr old acclimated ASAP. She's already noticed the pink Graco Turboboosters at Target and asked for one (only cause it's pink).

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I know plenty of girls who become girly much before age two, much to the dismay of their parents.

I like girly stuff, and I am glad my daughter appreciates it too :love:

Yoshi

Yeah, she likes all things girly. But she also loves mud, rocks, catching frogs and hiking and other fun stuff that I enjoy, LOL! As far as the seat goes, she's never really had a seat that isn't some sort of microsuede or velvet...even her Comfortsport was the plushy one. She is very sensitive/picky about fabrics and has been since infancy. She would dig a gray seat (he Radian is gray/black, I have the Manhattan cover which is VERY velvety soft) but it has to be soft. But I am going for the high harness slots over the fabric. She will get over it. (I think;))

ZephyrBlue

My 7.5yo was less than pleased when she found out I sold her Madison Regent (which she had been complaining about for a long time and didn't want to ride in :rolleyes:) to buy the GN. She, too, thinks it's ugly- BUT the cupholder has won her over and the fact that it looks more like a booster. When you're a 2nd grader, I guess that is a factor. She's recently become aware that not one single child in her class at school or the kids her age at gymnastics even ride in a booster, and she's still harnessed.

Would your DD be impressed that it looks like a "big kid" seat? I know my 5yo wouldn't- she won't "downgrade" her Princess Radian for anything black and grey without a fight- but some kids think sitting in a bigger-looking seat is cool. And the cupholder is really really awesome ;)

tiggercat

My 2 yr old is girly too, much to my dismay. I grew up a tom boy and didn't wear dresses or skirts TYVM! She picks out dresses to wear (despite the fact that it is winter in Canada) and loves pink frilly things. Ah well. My husband bought our 2nd MA for her, and he picked out the Platinum cover. She kept asking for her Cow back. LOL. One day I'll find her a nice pretty cover and swap it out, maybe my husband won't notice :whistle:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm sure if you could have held out a couple more months there'll be 93 shades of pink covers, like their other popular seats have...

(Another tomboy mom with girly girls, here... at barely 3, when no such thing existed, Bitsy announced, "I want a Barbie booster, mama!"...Evenflo managed to crank one out in the next couple months (I'm SURE the marketer lurked at IVillage...), but it was a freakin' Sightseer (Express with no harness...made the lapbelt ride SO high I relegated it to the TV room... :p). Leah's not even 2 now and was very excited by the Dora and Princess backless boosters at Walmart...I didn't know whether to laugh or slam Graco with some evil angry protest for that crappy marketing...put Dora and Princesses on Platinum Cargos, for crying out loud!)

Ok, sorry for the rant, lol.

BuckeyezRule

Graco makes pink covers for the backless booster (the seat thing) . We got a pack a number of years back from Target. Since the seat is Graco, I know the arm rest covers fit. I'd guess the seat cover did. I wouldn't totally cover the seat, but give it a 'unique' look. LOL I'll have to see if I can find mine & see if is does fit in place of the reg. seat cover. Are covers okay to use? I'd have to put it on the seat, so you guys could see what I mean in it's fit. My Belle is a pink tomboy. She loves pink, dresses & ponies, but hates dolls, & loves trains, & anything her brother does too. However, he also loves her ponies! =)

Morganthe

LOL I'm completely in agreement with your dd... underwhelmed by the color AND fabric texture of the Nautilus. :thumbsdown:

I think the main reason I finally surrended to the Regent was the new Madison cover. I crave color in this brown land and the texture is so wonderful, I'm ok with it sitting as a throne in the rear seat. :p

So why the change from the Radian if she's happy with it? I have the radian and assembled/installed the Nauti for a friend. While I like the ability to switch from harness to booster, I wouldn't go out of my way to replace one with the other if everything is copacetic. :shrug-shoulders:

Kat_Momof3

Yeah, she likes all things girly. But she also loves mud, rocks, catching frogs and hiking and other fun stuff that I enjoy, LOL! As far as the seat goes, she's never really had a seat that isn't some sort of microsuede or velvet...even her Comfortsport was the plushy one. She is very sensitive/picky about fabrics and has been since infancy. She would dig a gray seat (he Radian is gray/black, I have the Manhattan cover which is VERY velvety soft) but it has to be soft. But I am going for the high harness slots over the fabric. She will get over it. (I think;))

That's totally how Ruthie is.

Here's a question, though... what about embroidering it? I know so many did it with the solid-color Britax Huskies. What's the tech opinion here... JULES?? (I know Jules has flowers all over her Husky)

Because embroidering a few flowers would definitely make my daughter think it was more girly, though I'm lucky not to be having a problem about it yet.

Kat_Momof3

Graco makes pink covers for the backless booster (the seat thing) . We got a pack a number of years back from Target. Since the seat is Graco, I know the arm rest covers fit. I'd guess the seat cover did. I wouldn't totally cover the seat, but give it a 'unique' look. LOL I'll have to see if I can find mine & see if is does fit in place of the reg. seat cover. Are covers okay to use? I'd have to put it on the seat, so you guys could see what I mean in it's fit. My Belle is a pink tomboy. She loves pink, dresses & ponies, but hates dolls, & loves trains, & anything her brother does too. However, he also loves her ponies! =)

The turbobooster covers and armrest covers wouldn't fit the Nautilus. Have you seen the pics? It's a totally different design of seat.

Yoshi

Well, too lazy to quote everyone, but to Morganthe- she has an inch left in the Radian, so therefore I am hoping for some more room in the Nautilus based on Owensmama's thread and pics of her son in both Radian and Nautilus. PLUS- and this is a BIG plus, we can't get the Radian to install with a seatbelt in either of our cars and although she is just 41 lbs, that means at 48lbs, the seat is TOTALLY useless to us. I hate that. I love Graco seats for their usually brainless seatbelt installs. Hoping for that with the Nautilus.

Also to Katmomof3- we told her we would put something on the seat- a small applique of some sort here and there, I have no issue with that. If another cover choice comes out down the road, I'll get a second one and put the ugly gray one in DH's car.

Yeah- the backless boosters have some cool covers. They should sell them for other seats too!

NOAHSMOM

Has she seen the pics on here of all of the boys sitting in it? I think except for Zephryblue's daughters, we have seen a lot of boys modeling the seat, that's how I convinced my son that it was a "big boy seat". But since it is so much like a turbo booster, one would think it would not be difficult to create better covers for it and more padding like on the turbo booster.

Yoshi

Has she seen the pics on here of all of the boys sitting in it? I think except for Zephryblue's daughters, we have seen a lot of boys modeling the seat, that's how I convinced my son that it was a "big boy seat". But since it is so much like a turbo booster, one would think it would not be difficult to create better covers for it and more padding like on the turbo booster.

No, she just saw the stock photo on the graco website. I wouldn't dare show her BOYS sitting in it. She would refuse to go anywhere in it, LOL! I did NOT teach her this, argh.

Kat_Momof3

Also to Katmomof3- we told her we would put something on the seat- a small applique of some sort here and there, I have no issue with that. If another cover choice comes out down the road, I'll get a second one and put the ugly gray one in DH's car.

I hadn't seen that... I was waiting for tech approval since the manual is so specific about not adding anything, you know?

I was thinking of adding a disney princess one on the headrest above GRACO and maybe one on each side of the bodysupport and one or two on the seat portion But I'd also thought of taking the time to embroider simple flowers or butterflies.

And I am still considering pony appliques.

Ruthie is the same way... AND our spare seat for her (britax laptop) is expiring in August. I decided there was no way, at 4.5yrs old and over 40lbs, I would be comfortable with her in a booster yet. She's just very tempermental and I could see it being a problem, even on a temp situation.

So it was... buy another Radian, buy a Regent, or buy a Nautilus.

The Radian gives her only 1.5" left... not worth paying that much at this point if I can avoid it, IMO.

The Regent is so pricey and I got rid of the ones the boys had because she coudn't sleep comfortably in them.

that left the Nautilus... more grow room, converts to a great booster... it made the most sense.

Now the Radian is her spare in my dh's cobalt.

amy919

We have the same issue :rolleyes:. Kaylie hates it. She's used to her girly Britax covers :p. I really want it for DH's car and he bans all things girlly in his car. I'm hoping I can put a few patches on it or something to make her happy. She'll be a royal PIA about it otherwise.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's totally how Ruthie is.

Here's a question, though... what about embroidering it? I know so many did it with the solid-color Britax Huskies. What's the tech opinion here... JULES?? (I know Jules has flowers all over her Husky)

Because embroidering a few flowers would definitely make my daughter think it was more girly, though I'm lucky not to be having a problem about it yet.

LOL! Yeah, I had cute flowers embroidered all over my Husky... but you know how Lands' End won't embroider too much on flame retardent treated clothing (they won't allow more than like 2 initials on kids pajamas...), it's because the cotton/flammable thread woud undo the flame retardent properties, I gather...so I wouldn't go TOO crazy on a carseat cover, for the same reason :)

Kat_Momof3

that's exactly what I was worrying about... maintaining the flame retardency.

For now, I'm holding off until she might actually complain about it, because I admit it IS nice to have the seat go so well with my interior, but if she complained too much, I could see doing some flowers embroidered on the headrest cover, back cover, and seat cover.

Definitely spaced out, not thick, not filled in,pretty much the same as what you did on the Husky.

But for now, since she's liking it more as she's figuring the good points to having the cupholder and being able to cross her legs comfortably and she isn't complaining and hasn't complained, I'm not going to try to fix what isn't broken.

Yoshi

It's coming today! I can't wait for the UPS man.....I will try to install it with seatbelt in my Subaru, and that is going to be the litmus test. And of course, hopefully Dd will have about 2.5" of room at least.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC