Graco Expiration ?. Nautilus related.

DiaSmall

I want to buy a nautilus, but I dont want to buy one till I find a 2008 one....
My reasoning is that Graco seats expire in December 6yrs from the Year stamped on the shell....

If I buy any 2007 model I'm under the impression it expires in Dec. 2013
If I buy any 2008 model I'm under the impression it expires Dec. 2014

At this rate my kids will be nearly 8yo & 9.5yo when the seat expires.
Do you think a LBB would be good for an 8yo & a 9.5yo?

_______
My kids are

Ean, 3.5yo/ 15.5in torso/ 34lbs
Bradley 1y 11mo/ 15in torso/ 32lbs

I expect them to be long in the torso & extremly lightweight... Probably 50-60lbs when they are 7 or 8yo.

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
A seat with a 6-year expiration manufactured in Dec. 2007 will expire in Dec. of 2013.

A seat with a 6-year expiration manufactured in Feb. 2008 will expire in Feb. 2014.

So no, you don't get an extra year by waiting for a manufacture date of just a few months later.

The general rule-of-thumb for when to move to a backless booster is similar to when to switch to FF - keep them in the HBB to the height limit whenever possible, the same way you want to keep them RF to the limits of the carseat. That said, both my 9yo and my 11yo still fit in HBBs, but they usually ride in backless boosters.

mamaofthree

I thought Graco did their expirations differently- the seat expires in Dec of that sixth year, so you could get one that lasts almost 7 years technically. Doesn't make any sense at all, and I would LOVE to hear Graco's reasoning behind it.

Kimberly

o_mom

A seat with a 6-year expiration manufactured in Dec. 2007 will expire in Dec. of 2013.

A seat with a 6-year expiration manufactured in Feb. 2008 will expire in Feb. 2014.

So no, you don't get an extra year by waiting for a manufacture date of just a few months later.

Gracos all expire in December, regardless of the month of manufacture. The manual says don't use after the date stamped on the bottom, so a seat made in January 2008 will expire December 2014, not January 2014. This give a seat made in January an extra 11-12 months over one made in December.

My SS1 has a DOM of 021507 and says Do Not Use after December 2013 - 6 years and 10.5 months

Defrost

Gracos all expire in December, regardless of the month of manufacture. The manual says don't use after the date stamped on the bottom, so a seat made in January 2008 will expire December 2014, not January 2014. This give a seat made in January an extra 11-12 months over one made in December.

My SS1 has a DOM of 021507 and says Do Not Use after December 2013 - 6 years and 10.5 months

That is BIZARRE! Thanks for the correction, though. Are their booster seats different? All my Graco seats are boosters, and there is no stamped date I've ever found, just a sticker with the manufacture date. The manual doesn't say anything about when they expire, either.

o_mom

That is BIZARRE! Thanks for the correction, though. Are their booster seats different? All my Graco seats are boosters, and there is no stamped date I've ever found, just a sticker with the manufacture date. The manual doesn't say anything about when they expire, either.

I don't know, but I think they would be the same. It is hard to find sometimes - I had to look all over on the SS1. It was partially covered by the cover (on the bottom of the seat under where the baby's left leg would be if anyone is looking), embossed text in the same color as the seat.

DiaSmall

Okay, I guess we are all in agreement.

I'll wait to find a 2008 seat... I need all the time I can get.

I read in the Nautilus manual on Graco's website that the seats expire in DECEMBER of the YEAR stamped on the shell.... so it makes the most sence for me to just wait a bit longer for a 2008 seat.

Defrost

I don't know, but I think they would be the same. It is hard to find sometimes - I had to look all over on the SS1. It was partially covered by the cover (on the bottom of the seat under where the baby's left leg would be if anyone is looking), embossed text in the same color as the seat.

Hm... well, I thought I was very familiar with the kids' boosters, but now I will have to look again! :D

my3girls

OK, Math has never been my strong subject (he,he!) but here's the bottom of my SR which I was going to give to a girl that I know that doesn't have much spare $. The DOM is 070802 (july 08, 2002) bought for my baby born 10-14-02, but then it says do not use after Dec 2007. HUH?
000_0482.jpg

MomToEliEm

OK, Math has never been my strong subject (he,he!) but here's the bottom of my SR which I was going to give to a girl that I know that doesn't have much spare $. The DOM is 070802 (july 08, 2002) bought for my baby born 10-14-02, but then it says do not use after Dec 2007. HUH?

That is really strange. I would think you would have at least until July 2008. Maybe a sticker was put incorrectly on the seat and the shell was made in 2001, but the sticker wasn't put on until 2002. I think I would go by the shell's expiration date though, so it is expired.

my3girls

I will NOT pass it on, I'm an "err on the side of safety" person and don't believe in taking ANY risks, I'm just confused by it.

DiaSmall

Actually I think I have heard somewhere that some some -or- older gracos have 5yr lifespans. I dont remeber the exact seats or dates... techs?

I really doubt the 2007 in a misprint... looks expired to me.
Sorry for your friend, hope she is able to scrape up another seat.

We have a whole batch of the Evenflo Discovery made in 2002 all exp Dec 2009.

The other seats are 5 years.

I did have a 2002 made in april that exp in dec 2009 and i had one made dec 2001 and it exp'd 2009 also.

There was sure some strange business going on with Evenflo. (and the importer bringing them in, and get this - Restamping the expiration dates -

singingpond

Well, honestly, if this is what Graco does, and a seat made in January of year X expires in December of year X + 6, that means they are telling us their seats are good for just a day short of 7 years. I would take that as meaning that any model of that seat they make should be good for that same period. They're not going to change their production lines to make their January seats longer-lasting than their February seats, their February seats longer-lasting than their March seats, etc.

I personally would just make a decision that the seat is good for 7 years (or more conservatively, that it is good for 6 years) from date of manufacture, whenever that date of manufacture is. This other approach (assuming that a January DOM seat is good for almost an extra year versus a December DOM seat) sounds like legalistic silliness. I guess one should perhaps pay attention to it from a liability p.o.v., but I can't imagine it has anything to do with laws of chemistry and physics.

Katrin

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Are there any 2007 Nautiluses? They're so new, none of them can be older than a month old, if that.

I've seen Snugrides with some funky dates. One of my friend's seats had a manufacture date of 070509. I saw that with another lady as well. I laughed and told them not to use it more than six years from when they bought it.

Wendy

Are there any 2007 Nautiluses? They're so new, none of them can be older than a month old, if that.

I've seen Snugrides with some funky dates. One of my friend's seats had a manufacture date of 070509. I saw that with another lady as well. I laughed and told them not to use it more than six years from when they bought it.

Wendy

11/2007 is the first batch i believe

Relish

Wendy

Depending on where it was manuf. the year could be first. I can read this date as being May 9th, 2007.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Depending on where it was manuf. the year could be first. I can read this date as being May 9th, 2007.

So different Snugrides have different dating systems? I've seen that before on one other Snugride, but all the others have MMDDYY formats. I've just seen two that have XXXX09, all of the others have been far more obvious (052306, 022303).

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC