OH NO My Seatbelts are not working!

Momto3Divaz

Okay well a while back the center seatbelt stopped working in my Focus thats when I hooked the lower anchors to the base of our snugride. My oldest is in a TB right now and my Middle is in a High Back Cosco I had taken them out of the car in attempt to look at my GN. Well when I went to buckle the seats back in this am THEY WILL NOT LOCK IN its like the female part is jammed this is what happened with the center seat belt but since that had the latch I didnt worry. Im still new to this site and really am learning sooo much about the latch sys and such which is why I am choosing to reharness my 5 1/2 yr old BUT I CANT take them ANYWHERE until I fix this problem. I dont know if anyone else has ever had this problem or what?! My Fiance told me he lately he had been having trouble buckling in my oldest and has had to force the seat belt in! :eek: The Cosco does not have the latch hookups its an older carseat and I thought I didnt need them and tossed them a few years ago :eek: I KNOW I KNOW tsk tsk but this was before I came to this site and learned so much info.

Do I call the junkyard to replace or buy new :confused:

We are in desperate need of a larger vehicle but we wanted to keep this for me for short runs ect maybe this is a sign that I need a new car :whistle:

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I know in my mom's volvo I sometimes can't cram the latchplate into the buckle unless I push the red button to sort of 're-set' the buckle. But call the dealer, I don't think it'll cost too much to get a new one (if anything...some people have gotten new seatbelts free), I wouldn't want a junkyard seatbelt buckle, personally (what it if were being used in a crash? could be broken but appear to work fine... scary to imagine what might happen!). Cosco sells replacement LATCH and top tethers pretty cheap, but I think it's actually easier to use the belt when you are trying to get three kids in one Focus (if you tossed the top tether and are using the seat harnessed, DO contact www.djgusa.com and get a replacement tether, it makes a harnessed seat a LOT safer)

:)

southpawboston

it might just be that the female end of the seatbelt buckle (the stalk with the red button) is gunked up. the dealer may even be able to clean it out without replacing it. if it needs to be replaced, it's not that expensive, and i would go with the genuine ford replacement belt. it sounds like only the buckle stalk would need to be replaced. that takes very little time.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
it might just be that the female end of the seatbelt buckle (the stalk with the red button) is gunked up. the dealer may even be able to clean it out without replacing it. if it needs to be replaced, it's not that expensive, and i would go with the genuine ford replacement belt. it sounds like only the buckle stalk would need to be replaced. that takes very little time.

:yeahthat: My sister just had a similar problem fixed in her vehicle. You really had to slam the seat belts to get them to latch. They just cleaned them out for her and they're working fine - said someone had spilled something sticky in there at some point, and then they just collect dust over time and get worse & worse.

Momto3Divaz

:) New rule no more drinks in the car! I went to Fords website and was able to email them. I think Im going to call instead becuase I really dont want to stay home allllllll weekend :cool:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC