Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Locking clip

Locking clip

In my tecnician class, they did not tell us we couldn't us a locking clip on a lap only belt. I have a parent that wants to install her seat in the center and it has a lap belt with a locking latch plate, but the cover over the latch plate is broken. Can I use a locking clip on it and leave it in the center (she doesn't have latch)? Can she get her seatbelt fixed? I feel stupit no knowing this, but like I said, it wasn't covered in my class, I just read somewhere else that you can't use a locking clip on that type of belt.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Locking clip

So the locking latchplate is not currently functioning, correct?

I wouldn't use it. A locking clip locks the belt pre-crash, but it isn't designed to withstand all the crash forces on its own. In this case the locking clip would be the only thing holding the seat in place. I'd have her take the car to a dealer to see if she can get the latchplate replaced, and in the meantime install the seat in a different position.
    Kim (CPST)

DS 4years harnessed in Graco Nautilus
    DD 28 months 29 lbs RF in Britax Blvd

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

If the cover's broken off the latchplate, it may still not be broken, but check to make sure it works. Right, a locking clip is not intended to hold in a crash, it's a precrash positioner. The latchplate IS designed to hold in a crash, so it needs to be working or the seatbelt is unuseable.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Check to see if it acually functions properly and stay locked first. If it does not she should go the the dealership and have a new one installed if she want to use that seating position.
    Lisa - CPSTI
    Mom to Tucker, 5 years old, 29.2 lbs, 39.25 inches tall who has a variety of different carseats to ride in.
    My new grandson is my signature photo

CPS Technician crunchierthanthou's Avatar

Locking clips can never be used on lap only belts. They are designed to hold the seatbelt tight until the ELR of the shoulder belt is engaged. If (when) the locking clip pops off in a crash, there will be nothing holding the carseat in place.

We had the plastic cover on our chevy's locking latchplates fall off and they still functioned fine. The plastic portion is just for looks and to keep fingers out.

If there is any question if the latchplate is functioning, I would move the seat to an outboard postion and replace the belt.

I checked and the latch plate still works. I got a really tight install in that position. Thanks.