Hello & 3 kids in a 2006 Subaru Legacy?

Corynn

3 kids in a 2006 Subaru Legacy? Updated... your thoughts?

Hi I just discovered this site, and wish I had found it sooner. I know similar questions have been asked but I thought that I would try again.

I have a 4 yr old currently in an Eddie Bauer 3in1 and an 20 month old in an Evenflo triumph. (both huge seats I know). I am also expecting #3 in April. I'm desperately trying to find a way to keep my car. So any number of new car seats would be okay as long as they are available in Canada. My kids are quite huge and always hit the 20 lb mark at about 4-5 months so I don't need a carrier (would like one but can do without if need be), but do need a seat that can rear face to 30lbs.

I know this sounds quick harsh and a bit impersonal but my "mom mobile" is on the chopping block and fairly soon, and I'm panicked at the thought of loosing her!

Thanks for your help:(:):eek:

Last edited:
ADS

canadianmom2three

Well, if you are in the market for new seats, the Radian makes a great and very narrow seat. It would allow your 4yo to stay harnessed, which I am guessing is either already not possible in the EB, or will very soon be impossible? It is a great seat for fitting 3 kids across, and if you had the older two in Radians, you would have loads of room for either a third Radian for the new babe, or a bucket if you like. The Radian (especially with the padded insert on the Premier) makes a pretty decent infant seat, but at the same time, is still roomy enough for bigger kids. It is a great seat all around imo...and would definately make it more than possible to get all 3 across. Only word of caution, it is a bit of a pita to get the install right, but usually do-able with a bit of patience.

canadianmom2three

And sorry, but I just have to ask about the 3in1 - is your DS still harnessed, or are you using it in booster mode? The 3in1 is a tricky seat, in that the topmost harness position is actually not a harness position, it is a position to raise the headrest for booster use (which unfortunately is not clearly marked at all). I had that seat for my DS, and I know I had no idea!

cdncasper

Radians for the older 2 and Radian or safeseat for the baby. If possible (not sure of exact size of backseat) maybe the new Graco Nautilus when it comes out for your 4 yr old and Radians for the 2 younger ones.
How big are you kiddos exactly? Height and weights?

Corynn

My 4 year old is no longer harnessed, (I'm obviously missing something) He had been complaining for sometime about the harness as he is quite tall but we pushed it until he hit the 40 lb mark. Fill me in, am I doing something wrong? The manual was not the clearest, at best.

Corynn

The oldest is about 42lbs and about 42" and the younger is 30lbs and 33" (ish) last time I checked their heights was November (bad mama):)

Last edited:

canadianmom2three

No not at all - if you are using it as a booster, then what I said about the harness is not an issue :) On the other hand, if you are interested in keeping your 4 year old harnessed (and there is a lot of good research to indicate that children of that age and size fare much better in a 5pt harness than a booster) then the Radian is still a great seat for you. We got it for our DS when he was about the same size as your DS, and he still LOVES it!

IMGP1809.jpg

IMGP2092.jpg

Rf and FF Radians in a montana - bit roomier, but still you get the idea of how 3 across would be no prob!

cdncasper

4 yrs is the minimum we like to see in a booster and the 3 in 1s don't make a very good booster. Most 4 yr olds can't sit properly the entire ride in a booster. I would suggest getting a Radian for him and getting him back in a harnessed seat. Perhaps just get that one for now, keep your 2 yr old in his seat (if he still fits properly) until the Nautilus comes out than put your oldest in that seat, your 2 yr old in the Radian and than either the Radian or the safeseat for the baby. This is assuming all will fit in your vehicle.
My other suggestion is Radians for all 3. 2 of the forward facing for your 2 older ones and the other rear facing for the baby

Corynn

we originally got the safeseat for my youngest son, but had to return it it would not rear face, which is why we ended up with the triumph. Are the radians larger than the triumph rf?

cdncasper

The Radians are really tall so they do take up alot of space RFing. What was the problem you had with the safeseat exactly? Where in canada are you, perhaps we can find a tech to help you.

canadianmom2three

Hmmmm If by larger you mean takes up more room front to back so that the front passenger has less room, then I would have to make an educated guess that the Radian is a larger rf seat than a triumph by length - the Radian is a pretty 'tall/long' seat as a rf seat (but you can rf tether it, so that's a bonus). On the other hand it is a very narrow seat, so if that is what you are interested in, it is smaller than the triumph in width.

Corynn

Has anyone had any luck trying before buying so to speak? I suppose that would be a moot point if you can return the seats. What would be the absolute smallest dimension that three radians can fit across (side by side), (I'm going to measure the car).

cdncasper

I can almost fit 3 Radians across in my 08 Civic. That is FF outboard and RF center. If my seats were more flat than I probably wouldn't have any trouble at all.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
No need to measure--you have over 52" of hip room per edmunds.com.. That's the same as my mid-sized SUVs were... You can fit two Radians and another seat (anything, I'd imagine) across.. Likely you can fit one Radian, and two other seats (anything, again, I'd imagine) across, but that may require a bit more work.

-Nicole.

Corynn

The front passenger seat was "unsitable" (is that a word?) with the safe seat. The triumph seemed to be a taller seat so the point at which it made contact with the front seat, made it doable not comfortable but doable. I'm in Toronto. I'd love help!

Corynn

I just wanted to add that I'm pretty much on a deadline to see if it's workable all the way up the stages. If not I have to put her up for sale so that she can be replaces before baby comes in April. (No trade ins here unfortunately, we've got to buy and sell privately)

cdncasper

I have a 3 hr layover in toronto on feb 17 if you wanted to meet at the airport and I could help you than. Might be able to find someone sooner though that already lives in Toronto

Corynn

Can it really be that simple? There are only 2 latch points and there is a "hump" in the middle. Will this be a problem? (I'm starting to get excited here...) And if baby #3 is finally a girl I can get the cute little pink one right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC