tech help needed! Misinformation regarding snugride installation...

N

nfowife

I am visiting my in-laws in a few weeks and I am taking my infant seat with us for the airplane ride (and have bought the baby a seat), but don't want to use it in the car without the base. The bases for my seat (combi tyro) are not easy to find in b&m stores right now and for the same price my MIL (mother in law) was able to get us a snugride so we don't need to remove the base from our car (which I don't want to do because it was installed by a tech and it was not an easy install). Anyhow, my MIL just went to get the new snugride installed today (they are going on vacation this weekend until the day before we arrive so it has to be done today) and the tech told her that the safest position in her 2003 Maxima was the outboard position because of LATCH and the center armrest that comes down. I told her that no, that is not true, LATCH is just another method of installation, and that no child has ever been injured by an armrest coming down in an accident (which the tech told her could happen so he said the outboard was safer). The only reasons the tech gave MIL was LATCH and the armrest and on the car seat compatibility database there are other 2003 maximas who got a great fit in the center position with the snugride. Also neither the snugride manual or the maxima manual say you can't install the seat in front of the armrest. I really want it in the center position, although I am aware that it isn't UNsafe to use the outboard, I just feel like it provides the best all-around protection especially with a side-impact crash.She put in a call to him so he can re-install it in the center with the belt but what if he won't? Is there any info/stats I can give him? I am so upset and I will not put DD in the outboard when I know the center is safest and the armrest issue is not relevant. Help!!

ADS
A

aleah

I drive a 2003 Honda civic. When my son was first born I had a snugride and installed it in the middle. I have the fold down arm rest in the middle but my manual states that all three seats in the back can be used for a car seat. It wasn't hard to fit the car seat- but you will have to do it with the seatbelt and not the latch. The only problem that I had was that even though I have the retractable seatbelts the car seat tech had to use a locking clip because even though I could get the car seat in tight with the blets if you pulled down on one of the side of the car seats it would completly tip over on the side. So good luck and I am confident that you will be able to get it fitted in the middle securely

A

aleah

just giving my personal experience

I was just trying to tell her about my experience. I am not recomeding that you go by my vehicle manual ( mine being a honda and yours being something completely different ). Just thought that if mine tells what seats you can use that yours probably will too. :p ;)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My neighbor has a Acura TL that does say in her owners manual not to place a rearfacing car seat infront of the fold down arm rest. I had never heard that either so I read her owners manual and sure enough it said it. Her ds is now in the middle but he is also forward facing.

My Passat said nothing about not being able to place a car seat infront of the fold down arm rest but with 2 kids both went to the outboard positions anyways.

bazanna

Senior Community Member
I would call a different tech and ask for clarification. Know that if you do install in the middle, you will have to use the seatbelt but LATCH is not inherently safer than using belts...it's just supposed to be easier. And even then, it isn't always easier, KWIM?

U

Unregistered

Thank you for all your help. My mother in law went back to him and he did install the seat in the middle, the car and carseat manuals didn't say not to so he said he would for her even though he thought it was better in the outboard. He was able to get a very tight fit so I am happy now! Thanks!

U

Unregistered

Unregistered said:
Thank you for all your help. My mother in law went back to him and he did install the seat in the middle, the car and carseat manuals didn't say not to so he said he would for her even though he thought it was better in the outboard. He was able to get a very tight fit so I am happy now! Thanks!

It is a good idea for you to learn how to install your seats yourself too though. When you get a chance ask tech the to teach you. A locking clip is very simple once you practice and especially w/ an infant base it is very easy. I know it can be confusing and I always would have a tech dbl check your seats but at our checks we actually have the parents do the install for instances like this. I hope you have a great trip, it's wonderful you are asking for a techs help, pls don't get me wrong.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC