Which is worse....?

chasingboys

Using a seat that was manufactured in 2000 (for a very petite 4y/o) (it was an Evenflo Ultara V)

or

Using an AO (man. 7/02) with a child that is 6yrs/40 +lbs and over the top harness

BOTH?! :(

This was the horrendous carseat situation that I had talked about in another thread. I got them a scenera for the 22mo old (to replace a 15 y/o seat) AND found a turbo booster for the 6y/o (it was from a trusted person).
Mom has money to go out but not to spend on carseats :( and the dad does NOT want to put the 6y/o in a booster seat. So she told me to leave the seats as is, even after I explained how totally and completely unsafe it was for both of them. He said that they will get a seat for the 6y/o this month (yeah, I believe that) and move the 4y/o to the AO.

So what would you do in that situation? I couldn't take the seats and run or I would have. lol

ADS

scatterbunny

Well, you've done all you can do, if dad isn't willing to accept your help. They said they'll get the 6yo a seat this month, and if the 4yo is really that petite the AO should be okay (but maybe not, my dd was too tall for the top harness position/second-to-top headrest setting at 2.5). It's a tough situation to be in, but when you offer help and go out of your way to provide safer seats and they don't care, there isn't much more you can do.

Ashley_R

Is the child in the AO using the harness or using it as a booster? Both are dangerous but I think the 6 year old in the AO is in more danger than the expired seat (assuming she fits correctly in it). We know almost exactly what happens to a child who is too tall or too heavy for a seat and we know that there will be a failure in an accident. While we know that seats expire, we do not know at what rate seats expire or how deterorated each seat is. There may or maynot be a failure in an accident. I wouldnt risk it and I dont advocate the use of an expired seat.

I see that the dad does not want to put the older child in a booster so I assume he has the child in the harness of the AO. Have you considered suggesting he lock the shoulder portion of the belt over the child while using a booster? This helps the big risk of children in booster seats, their abilty to wiggle and move out of position. This could be a temporary suggestion until they can get a HWH seat for him. I would stress to the father that he is risking both childrens lives by leaving them as they are and while your booster seat suggest is not the best option it IS better that what they have!

If you've told the family the risks and explained the consequences to them and they still refuse to listen there isnt anything you can do but hope you dont have to tell them you told them so.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Well, you've done all you can do, if dad isn't willing to accept your help. They said they'll get the 6yo a seat this month, and if the 4yo is really that petite the AO should be okay (but maybe not, my dd was too tall for the top harness position/second-to-top headrest setting at 2.5). It's a tough situation to be in, but when you offer help and go out of your way to provide safer seats and they don't care, there isn't much more you can do.

Exactly!

Some of the times you can't help them all. You have done everything you can and I know it is heartwrenching as these poor children don't get a choice in the matter. But, Some of the times you can't save them all.

chasingboys

I'm just sad because they are friends and I care about their kids. Why don't parents see that carseats are important?? I just pray they don't get in an accident.

scatterbunny

I feel your pain, I really do. I have friends who are like that. :( They know I'm a CPST but it still isn't important to them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC