Reply from Russ RE: SafeStop

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
ETA: Please see post 10 for very clear updated relpy from Russ. Since this 1st relpy was not real clear.
My email to Russ
Hi Russ,

I need to know why there are 3 different manuals that say 3 different things about Safe Stop use.

I have a RN 65 with a DOM of 3/07 and my manual clearly states under 40 lbs the Safe Stop must be used. It also says this on the actual Safe Stop. Yet when i read the manual online pg 26 clearly states under 35 lbs it must be used. Yet on pages 20,22,and 24 of the same online manual it states under 40 lbs it must be used. Now back in November tha manual said under 40 lbs for Safe Stop use on all pages refering to the Safe Stop. Now I also find out someone has a manual that states under 48 lbs ,plus 2 more that say under 40 lbs.

So if SKJP changing the requirements for using the Safe Stop? If so don't you think consumers as well as techs like myelf should be informed of the change? I think an advisory shoul be isuued if SKJP is going to make a change. Or is this just a typo in the manual?

Your reply is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Lisa
CPS Tech

Another email I sent him
This is that another tech was told by SKJP customer service when they called: "You are correct. We have recently made a few changes to Radian’s manual and stickers (the seat itself has not changed at all). So, during this transition, some seats will still have the previous manual.
SafeStop to 35 lbs is fine.
Typo on the online manuals on pgs 20,22 and 24."
Is this true?
Lisa

his reply
Lisa,
Yes, this is true – typo and we are fixing it now! Someone just pointed this out yesterday. I am still trying to asses whether it is a proof-reading error or a file corruption issue when it got handed-off to the printer. But regardless, it’s being fixed.

Yes we have made some adjustments to Radian manuals as we have progressed, based on feedback from CPS Techs and consumers (like the RF increase to 35 lbs). I think your suggestion is good that in the future as changes or updates occur, that we find a way to effectively communicate this to the CPS community. Any suggestions on your part would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Russ

So the 35 lb weight limit on page 26 of the online manual is a typo.

Last edited:
ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Re: Relpy form Russ RE: SafeStop

Oh my - I still find that response confusing! It's like he sees the "35lbs" and immediately thinks you're asking about the new RF limit. So every time he says something, I wonder if he's talking about the SafeStop or the RF limit!

As for his request for suggestions on informing techs of changes, he should let Deborah Stewart at Safe Ride News know.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Oh my - I still find that response confusing! It's like he sees the "35lbs" and immediately thinks you're asking about the new RF limit. So every time he says something, I wonder if he's talking about the SafeStop or the RF limit!

As for his request for suggestions on informing techs of changes, he should let Deborah Stewart at Safe Ride News know.

The first part of his response was pretty clear that the manual has a typo. However, Which page is it is the question. I just emailed again and asked point blank is it 35 or 40 lbs for the weight requirement for the Safe Stop. I will let you know what he says.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Debbie I told him about SRN and Safety belt safe since they both do news letters.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member

Damn. I hate that thing, it's always getting caught when I unfold the seat, so of course then the harness doesn't work, and I can barely tighten it enough because now the harness is so long the safestop is practically at the front of the seat. I was hoping 35 pounds because with a fully belly and shoes Piper might be there. She'll never hit 40 pounds.

I hope he comes back with a clearer answer. A retroactive 35 pound RFing limit would be nice too, though I know that's not going to happen.

Wendy

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Ok this new reply is very clear.

Lisa,

I made a mistake!

The typo in the online manual is on page 26 that says SafeStop to 35 lbs.

This is WRONG. It is a typo. SafeStop is to be used to 40 lbs. There is no change to this.

I got confused because we recently changed the RF capacity to 35 lbs.

I am really trying to responsive to the CPS Tech questions and I'm really trying to give everyone answers back right away. And that's how mistakes happen. I have to slow down.

I apologize for the confusion. This really highlights that I need to be more careful in the future.

Best regards,
Russ

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

He told Stephanie Tombrello (pres. of SafetyBeltSafe... www.carseat.org ) the same thing:

Message from Sunshine Kids to SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.

"There is a typo in the online Radian manuals on page 26 that says use
SafeStop to 35 lbs.
This is WRONG. It is a typo. SafeStop is still to 40 lbs. There was no
change to this.

I got confused because we recently changed Radian’s RF capacity to 35 lbs.

I am really trying to responsive to the CPS Tech questions and trying to
give everyone answers back right away. And that's how mistakes happen.
I hope that this note will relieve those using Radians and those helping
others to use them correctly."

Stephanie Tombrello, SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

He told Stephanie Tombrello (pres. of SafetyBeltSafe... www.carseat.org ) the same thing:

Message from Sunshine Kids to SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.

"There is a typo in the online Radian manuals on page 26 that says use
SafeStop to 35 lbs.
This is WRONG. It is a typo. SafeStop is still to 40 lbs. There was no
change to this.

I got confused because we recently changed Radian’s RF capacity to 35 lbs.

I am really trying to responsive to the CPS Tech questions and trying to
give everyone answers back right away. And that's how mistakes happen.
I hope that this note will relieve those using Radians and those helping
others to use them correctly."

Stephanie Tombrello, SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.

Stephanie is very nice. I have emailed back and forth with her a few times.

When did he tell her this? I am thinking he just went back and C&P the email to her. Which is fine as long as we are all now on the same pg.

singingpond

Good, at least Russ's second reply is clear, as to which one (35 or 40) is the typo. That first email from him was about as clear as mud, LOL, and made me glad that our Radian is still RF. The SafeStop is swinging around from its little parking/storage spot on the back of the seat, so at least I know it is installed appropriately for the moment :p.

Katrin

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Good, at least Russ's second reply is clear, as to which one (35 or 40) is the typo. That first email from him was about as clear as mud, LOL, and made me glad that our Radian is still RF. The SafeStop is swinging around from its little parking/storage spot on the back of the seat, so at least I know it is installed appropriately for the moment :p.

Katrin

Yes, I was much happier with the 2nd reply :D.

Stretchy Glue

Safe Stop to 40 lbs then. It's about time we figured this out. Now, what about a consumer advisory and updated manuals to all who own the seat? I think that is critical. :twocents:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor

Safe Stop to 40 lbs then. It's about time we figured this out. Now, what about a consumer advisory and updated manuals to all who own the seat? I think that is critical. :twocents:

Yes Safe Stop to 40 lbs. I do not think they are going to issue a advisory. I think he may have it pass on the info to people who do newsletters for CPST's. I do not know if it was wrong in the printed manual or not. This of course will not help the everyday peole who have RN's if the printed manual is wrong.

Does anyone have a new Radian probably manfactured this month who could look?

Last edited:

Stretchy Glue

This really bugs me. The manual has typos that he admitted to and there is conflicting info in the manual.:mad: I'm sorry, but this is annoying. The manual they sent with the seats give two or three different weights for the same thing and instead of telling the truth (that they made a mistake) we're going to hope that enough people read the newsletters and ask questions to the right people. I'm sorry but this is just nuts. Britax changes a rule (even when the old way still works but the new way is just better) and they send new manuals out and new parts, but this manual has some significant issues and they might not send an advisory. GRRRR.:mad:
Just in case you can't tell, this makes me angry. I realize that this is something minor and that 35-40 lbs isn't going to make a significant difference, but still, the manual has typos (admitted by the company):mad:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC