went to BRU - comparison pics!!!

minismom

I went to BRU today to check out the Diplomat in person. It was a long drive but totally worth it. I even installed it in my car and I'm pretty sure I can fit it next to the SS1, although I didn't get the best fit. Would have tried harder but salesguy was there. How annoying! Without the SS1 it installed great RF in my BMW 540. Didn't try to tether though. Here are some pictures, this is the only cover they had and I was told this is the only Diplomat they are allowed to have in store. I was bummed they didn't have any of the seats in the Onyx pattern, cause I wanted to see it IRL. They had a MA in Platinum, though. Does anyone know if that feels the same as the Onyx.

Ok, here are the pics. I loved that the headrest of the Dipl goes very high!! It seems like it will last way longer than the RA by height. Can anyone confirm that you can use it RF even when the headrest is past the main shell?

This is the Dipl and RA side by side:
View attachment 1118

Another Dipl and RA shot:
View attachment 1119

Dipl and MA, both with RF recline
View attachment 1120

I will post another post with 3 more pics. For some reason I can't seem to attach more than 3 pics here. So scroll down!

Last edited:
ADS

minismom

Dipl headrest all the way up
View attachment 1122

Dipl with MA, both in upright position (Dipl w headrest all the ay up)
View attachment 1123

Lowest Slot: to measure, my hand stretched and then I could firt 5 more fingers.
View attachment 1121

I got in trouble for taking pictures, they said they don't allow it. Good thing I was already taking the last picture when I got cought... I got to play with a few different seats, and even see a regent IRL. Wow, it's huge!

I'm sold on the Diplomat though, I loved the harness adjuster push button and it's so easy to lift or lower the headrest!!! I'm just wondering about the headrest thing. It goes very high past the main shell and I wonder if it's safe to use it RF til head is 1 inch from the top of headrest (as opposed to main shell). The manual just has the 1" rule and doesn't go into detail.

Question now is, which cover??? Not so many options unfortunately....

Last edited:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm just wondering about the headrest thing. It goes very high past the main shell and I wonder if it's safe to use it RF til head is 1 inch from the top of headrest (as opposed to main shell). The manual just has the 1" rule and doesn't go into detail.

That's a very good question. Typically the answer is to measure by the shell only, not any padding or headrests that come with the seat, but that Diplomat headrest is different than most IIRC. It's more than just padding.

I checked out the manual online, though, and I noticed they've added torso height to their measurements! :thumbsup: And it states 15" max torso height RF or FF, so I'm just really not sure about when it's outgrown by height RF. :confused:

minismom

I checked out the manual online, though, and I noticed they've added torso height to their measurements! :thumbsup: And it states 15" max torso height RF or FF, so I'm just really not sure about when it's outgrown by height RF. :confused:

I just looked up the RA manual online to try and compare and it doesn't list any max torso height, it just has the op of ears rule without distinguishing RF and FF. How strange! From what I saw today at the store it makes a huge difference! The Diplomat is way taller than the RA if you have the headrest all the way up and would give a child months extra in the seat.

Anyone else has an opinion? If I call britax can I trust what the CS say? Or should I just get the seat and worry about it when dd's head needs the extra room?

Defrost

I've asked about it on the tech list - hopefully it'll get some responses.

Personally, I wouldn't trust Britax CS to tell me whether or not they sell carseats. :D

Defrost

This is the response I got from the tech list:

The reason for the "rule" of an inch below the top of the plastic shell is to avoid the child's head emerging from the supporting plastic and leading the crash, coming in contact with another object or part of the vehicle. Since the purpose of the adjustable part of the top of the shell is to support the head, it should perform the function IF the rear-facing child needs such an adjustment. This is somewhat less likely since getting to 35 lbs. rear facing would usually not be a tall, skinny child, more likely a stockier younger child.

The general recommendation of an inch below the top of the plastic shell generally obtains because one cannot use the standing height of a child and know that a particular child fits or doesn't fit in a seat rear facing. It is the seated height that may be used; however, most parents don't know that figure.
Stephanie Tombrello, SafetyBeltSafe U.S.A.

Cool!

crunchierthanthou

Defrost, thanks for asking that there. The only answer I've ever been able to get was from Jools saying she thought headpiece because that's what they used to allow on the old Advantages (which was good enough for me :) ).

minismom

thanks Defrost for checking it out for me. that was very helpful.
i'm having trouble with this part of the response though;

QUOTE This is somewhat less likely since getting to 35 lbs. rear facing would usually not be a tall, skinny child, more likely a stockier younger child. QUOTE

does this imply that you would turn a child ff at a certain age, so that only a chubby child woulld need to use the seat to it's limit? I would think a skinny tall child is more likely to need the headrest raised if u want to keep her rf as long as possible?

brooklynsmommy

thanks Defrost for checking it out for me. that was very helpful.
i'm having trouble with this part of the response though;

QUOTE This is somewhat less likely since getting to 35 lbs. rear facing would usually not be a tall, skinny child, more likely a stockier younger child. QUOTE

does this imply that you would turn a child ff at a certain age, so that only a chubby child woulld need to use the seat to it's limit? I would think a skinny tall child is more likely to need the headrest raised if u want to keep her rf as long as possible?

Basically what they mean is that if a child is tall, they are going to outgrow it rear facing by height before they get to the 35lb limit. The child's head needs to be below the shell. A stockier child could make it to 35 lbs because their torso is shorter. Its important to let parents know that if they have a tall child, even though they're still under 35 lbs, they're too tall now to rear face. I hope that makes sense!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC