Successful Three Across thread

Heasemom

I've fit 3 across in the 2nd row bench seat of my 2012 Ford Flex.
Scenera, FF & LATCH (passenger side) Graco Nautilus used with 5-point harness FF & seat belt (center) and Evenflo Nurture Infant Seat, RF & LATCH (Driver side)

I've switched out the infant seat with our Evenflo Triumph RF & LATCH (Driver Side)

My goal was to use seat we already had so I didn't need to buy any extra car seats and I succeeded! I'm not sure what we'll do when my 5 year old is ready to use a seat belt, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

ADS

lilti9er

Yesterday I received a 2014 Honda CRV LX as a loaner and played with it. It's a lot different than DH's 2011 Honda CRV SE.

1st Configuration: used all seat belt installations
Driver Outboard, RF: Chicco NextFit
Center, RF: Chicco KeyFit 30 Magic
Passenger Outboard, RF: Chicco NextFit Zip

2nd Configuration
Driver Outboard, RF using seat belt install: Chicco NextFit
Center, FF using LATCH: Chicco NextFit Zip (I was unable to successfully install using seat belt b/c the seat belt stalk was not flexible and could only move up/down instead of side to side)
Passenger Outboard, RF using seat belt install: Chicco KeyFit 30 Magic

Here's how I keep from having to dig for the harness on the Chicco NextFit. I pull the straps loose and then store the metal part of the seat belt clip in the side of the car seat b/w the plasic and the fabric. I place the chest clip close to the seat belt clip to help hold it in place.

singlemomof2

so in general will using the seatbelts instead of the latch give a couple more inches? My 8 year old ds will not be able to be harnessed, he is about 100lbs and 5ft tall. I will be watching my DP's 3 year old dd starting in a month and have to have 2 ff seats for her and my 3 year old dd,(just bought 2 evenflo titan65s and room for my ds in the back seat. I tried one latched and just stuck another in there without harnessing or anything and had ds try to use the seat belt and he can manuever it but he is cramped. Ideally i would like to get more room for him, a couple more inches, this setup is mainly for going to school and back but i would prefer to get him more room in general because i don't want to have to reinstall seats all the time.

(DOah, I shouldn't have downgraded to a sedan, but that was over a year ago. My ds is rather large for his age too)

Last edited:

wavegal

so in general will using the seatbelts instead of the latch give a couple more inches? My 8 year old ds will not be able to be harnessed, he is about 100lbs and 5ft tall. I will be watching my DP's 3 year old dd starting in a month and have to have 2 ff seats for her and my 3 year old dd,(just bought 2 evenflo titan65s and room for my ds in the back seat. I tried one latched and just stuck another in there without harnessing or anything and had ds try to use the seat belt and he can manuever it but he is cramped. Ideally i would like to get more room for him, a couple more inches, this setup is mainly for going to school and back but i would prefer to get him more room in general because i don't want to have to reinstall seats all the time.

(DOah, I shouldn't have downgraded to a sedan, but that was over a year ago. My ds is rather large for his age too)

Yes using seat belt generally lets you pull the seat more towards the door buying more room. Latch keeps seats centered on a seat

RTmom

2009 ford escape. Not tech checked yet but all seats independently tight.

Passenger side: RF diono radian RXT with angle adjuster, seatbelt install
Middle: FF sk radian Premier, seatbelt install
Driver side: graco Snugride 22, latch install

U

Unregistered

Successfully installed this weekend in 2004 Ford Focus, being inspected on Thursday by the police department:

FF Britax Marathon passenger side (with Latch)
FF Diono Radian120 middle (with seatbelt)
RF Britax BSafe driver side (with Latch)

TIGHT fit (esp. with Marathon!) but it works!

U

Unregistered

2014 acura mdx

in the second row…

on the larger fold-down section behind the driver:
diono radian R100 - FF latch
diono radian R100 - FF latch

on the smaller section, behind the passenger:
graco affix booster w/latch

we occasionally pop out the booster to access the third row

and sometimes we move the booster or a radian to the third row (no latch)

steph

2007 Honda Pilot

2nd row Graco Nautilus, Britax Classic RA (rear facing) and a backless Britax Parkway.

Nautilus and RA both with seatbelt, the Parkway is latched in.

Attachments

• image-2526118474.jpg
    image-2526118474.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image-327375765.jpg
    image-327375765.jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 38

biddyk8

2009 Dodge Journey.

Driver side: Evenflo tribute RFing with seatbelt, but did fit with latch also.
Center: Peg Convertible, FFing with seatbelt
Passenger side: Evenflo sureride, RFing with seatbelt.

Mjmcilmoyl

2007 Mazda3 Sport (Hatchback)

Britax Frontier (ff, seatbelt install with tether), Peg Perego Primo Viaggio SIP infant seat with base (RF, LATCH install), Britax Frontier (ff, seatbelt install with tether). It's a tight squeeze to get the baby seat in and out, but it works great! I usually leave the baby seat in and just bring baby in/out.

Fun2Dream

2008? Toyota Prius

I am a tech

From driver-passenger side, we had:
Graco Nautilus, FF with harness
FF Radian XTSL
RF Radian XTSL

All L/S seatbelt installs, FF'ing seats both top tethered.

Do you know if the 2008 Prius is the same rear seat as the 2004? We have a 2004 and this combination would work great.

Fun2Dream

2004-2009 are Gen 2's, so they should be.

Thank you! Now my next question - we once put the two radians in with a chicco keyfit 30 in between, and the radians were sitting at an angle where the seat is supposed to kind of contour to your thighs/bottom. Is this OK or do the seats need to be level?

wavegal

2006 honda pilot. Middle row

Driver side: rear-facing britax boulevard gen 4
Middle: graco safe seat 1 rearfacing
Passenger side britax frontier90

All installed with seatbelt

image-4149947106.jpg

image-3352399854.jpg

image-2622001666.jpg

Tech so checked by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

U

Unregistered

2007 Honda Civic

Driver side: Diono Radian R120 FF (latch) (2 yr old)
Middle: Diono Radian R100 FF (seatbelt) (5 yr old)
Passenger side: Graco Snugride 30 with base (latch) (newborn)

U

Unregistered

Subaru XV Crosstrek 2013

Driver: Diono Radian RXT FF, seatbelt with top tether
Middle: Diono Radian RXT RF, seatbelt with Swedish tether (passenger seat rail)
Passenger: Diono Radian RXT FF, seatbelt with top tether

Lenae

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Driver outboard- Evenflo BigKid highback booster
Center- RF MySize/Headwise/Graco clone, installed with seatbelt
Passenger outboard- FF Diono RXT, installed with seatbelt

Not checked by a tech, but a pretty straightforward installation. All independently tight.

vmmatula

HYUNDAI ELANTRA

2008 ELANTRA
Passenger: Radian XTSL FF
Center: Nautilus
Driver: BubbleBum (only thing I had handy, but enough room for an adult so probably other seats as well)

The Radian puzzled great with the GN as it fit just behind/beneath the arm/wings of it.

Seatbelt installs; all independently tight; not a tech.
sorry, no pics. Config wasnt' necessary for more than the one trip.

2000 ELANTRA
This is from a while ago (and only a side-by-side seat configuration) I never got around to posting but RN was completely centered so another Snugride may have worked as well or a narrower infant seat. My mom did ride there once.

Center: Radian XTSL
Passenger: Graco Snugride 22

(installed with a tech's help)

zazzy13

Car: Hyundai Santa Fe 2013
Carseats (from left to right): Baby trend flex loc infant seat with base (RF)-using seatbelt, Graco Turbobooster (middle), Diono Radian RXT (FF).

Haven't had it checked, but all seems secure. Only problem we can seem to solve: My eldest (in the Turbobooster) can't access the buckle to buckle herself in ;(. No matter where we position the booster (middle, either side), there is another carseat that the buckle is squished against or behind. Not sure how to deal with this. Suggestions?

KatieMB

Car: Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 Carseats (from left to right): Baby trend flex loc infant seat with base (RF)-using seatbelt, Graco Turbobooster (middle), Diono Radian RXT (FF). Haven't had it checked, but all seems secure. Only problem we can seem to solve: My eldest (in the Turbobooster) can't access the buckle to buckle herself in ;(. No matter where we position the booster (middle, either side), there is another carseat that the buckle is squished against or behind. Not sure how to deal with this. Suggestions?

Can you leave it buckled and do this:

http://www.cpsboard.org/images/BPB_images.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC