Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Successful Three Across thread

2005 Mazda 3 (4 door)
    RF CCO outboard passenger
    FF Radian center
    RF Radian outboard driver / adult seat belt behind driver

The FF radian really needs the recline down
    The RF Radian needs the AA or is braced on my seat (I'm 5'8")
    All seat belt installations, but I can use the LATCH on the CCO, too.
    I'm rather uncomfortable with my shoulders next to the FF radian, but it's do-able.
    I'm a tech.
    Kathleen, CPST and mom to a pair of Cs.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

2005 Honda Odyssey, third row
    Britax Frontier 85 (seatbelt-long belt path-and tether-borrowed center TA, on passenger side, as allowed by Honda per LATCH Manual), BubbleBum (seatbelt, obviously), Cybex Aton (with base, seatbelt install.) It was tight getting the BubbleBum buckled, wouldn't want to do it every day, but it worked and I was comfortable with the belt fit and belt anchor positions. I'm a tech.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

4. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member

2013 Dodge Journey with the third row. Nothing tech checked but the RN is rock solid in all three second row spots.

Radian XT (with angle adjuster), LiteRider, vehicle booster is what pictured. The RN installs easily with or without the AA. When the RN is in the center spot you cannot slide and move the 40 portion seat. I have swapped out vehicle booster seat for an Olli, Evenflo Amp HBB and another LiteRider which all fit fine with a good amount of room to buckle. I havent tried my other RN outboard where the vehicle booster seat is but I dont see a problem as there is a good amount of room left there.

Vehicle booster up:

Vehicle booster down showing the extra room to place another seat:

6. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member thepote's Avatar
    2005 Odyssey 3rd row

Literider - RF Radian- Vivo (passenger- center- driver)

Vivo was very hard to buckle (I had to do it); 9yo could buckle the Literider but with some difficulty.

Radian installed with seatbelt and angle adjuster.

I'm not a tech.

Ohhhhh Weeeeeeeeee! 3 across!! Rf, seat belt - Evenflo Journey Embrace, Rf, seat belt - Evenflo Tribute Sport Convertible, and Rf, latch - Baby Trend Flex Loc in an '04 Chevrolet Trailblazer ext. I don't need this setup myself but I had the seats and was bored.
    I have a pictures but it won't let me upload them here.

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo....unt=1&__user=0

nicci21
    Sucessful 3 across in a 2003 Chevy cavalier (was not easy to accomplish)

Safety 1st guide 65, FF, behind driver, seatbelt install w top tether.
    Diono radian rxt, RF in the middle, seatbelt install, also use angle adjuster.
    Evenflo tribute sport, FF, behind driver, seatbelt install with top tether.

It was installed by a tech, and all seats are independently tight & do not interlock, overlap or interfere with the other!

Mama me

Thumbs up Successful Three Across 4 door 2006 civic

2006 4 door civic

drivers side= FF Diono RXT
    Middle seat= RF Diono R100 ( I prefer this seat to the rxt by the way. I don't like the head rest on the rxt)
    Passenger seat= Graco High Back Turbo Booster

this order and type of seats seems to be the best fit i can find. Both car seats are using the seat belt not the latch system

RXT holds my 25 lb 3 year old ( i think it would fit rear facing too)
    R100 Holds my 25 lb 10 month old
    Booster holds my 45 lb 5 year old

all kids have enough room to stretch and sleep comfortably and the arm rests for the booster are usable. i think one cup holder is also usable in the booster

2009 Honda CR-V

Driver side- Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro (booster)
    Middle- Diono Radian RXT installed with LATCH
    Passenger- Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 5-70 convertible, installed with seat belt

12. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

Last edited by romanoma; 01-31-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: needing further clarification

Maria, mommy to DS 5/10/06 49lbs, 49" FF in britax parkway/recaro signo/GN DD 5/14/08 38lbs 40" FF in Meghan BLVD/RN XTSL flora/recaro signo
    and now welcoming DD2 12/10/12 RF in a keyfit

Quote Originally Posted by romanoma View Post
    2005 honda CRV

passenger - sk radian XTSL FF seatbelt
    middle - chicco keyfit 30 seatbelt
    driver - parkway SGL

radian and chicco are tight, but they fit on the 60 portion of the bench, both rock solid and independently tight. that leaves lots of options for the drivers side 40 portion. I did not move the center buckle stalk. I did twist both buckle stalks of the center seat belt 3 times.

I'm not a tech.
    can you explain what you mean by twisting both buckle stalks of the center seat belt three times? are you meaning the outboard and the center stalks? is there a reason why you are rotating the outboard one? unless it is for the radian I understand. but if it is for the 40 split belt it really isn't needed. Sorry, it is late and I am not getting what you are saying. lol
    Misty
    SAHM to Cooper, 04/16/06 and Aurora, 06/25/11

Quote Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post
    2009 Honda CR-V

Driver side- Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro (booster)
    Middle- Diono Radian RXT installed with LATCH
    Passenger- Peg Perego Primo Viaggio 5-70 convertible, installed with seat belt

I see the angle adjuster for the Diono on the floor. not needed?
    Misty

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Misty-Bug View Post
    can you explain what you mean by twisting both buckle stalks of the center seat belt three times? are you meaning the outboard and the center stalks? is there a reason why you are rotating the outboard one? unless it is for the radian I understand. but if it is for the 40 split belt it really isn't needed. Sorry, it is late and I am not getting what you are saying. lol
    The center seatbelt originates from the ceiling and can be completely disconnected on both sides so it retracts into the ceiling and is out of the way when not in use. This leaves a buckle stalk on both sides of the center seating position, and they are long stalks and very close together. I twisted the passenger side stalk before buckling in the seatbelt from the ceiling, then twisted the driver side stalk before buckling the belt for the install. Hope that makes more sense!

Maria, mommy to DS 5/10/06 49lbs, 49" FF in britax parkway/recaro signo/GN DD 5/14/08 38lbs 40" FF in Meghan BLVD/RN XTSL flora/recaro signo

Quote Originally Posted by romanoma View Post
    The center seatbelt originates from the ceiling and can be completely disconnected on both sides so it retracts into the ceiling and is out of the way when not in use. This leaves a buckle stalk on both sides of the center seating position, and they are long stalks and very close together. I twisted the passenger side stalk before buckling in the seatbelt from the ceiling, then twisted the driver side stalk before buckling the belt for the install. Hope that makes more sense!
    it does but can that be done?
    Misty

Quote Originally Posted by Misty-Bug View Post
    it does but can that be done?
    No, the maximum is 3 twists for the entire seat belt, not 3 per side.

Twisting belts also reduces webbing strength. Laboratory tests conducted by IMMI Child Restraints in 1998-99 showed that the average strength of vehicle belt webbing, pulled until failure, gradually reduced depending on the number of full twists: 1=6%, 2=11%, 3=20%, 6=40%. When the webbing was soaked in apple juice or cola, the strength degraded slightly more than untreated webbing. When other samples were twisted and later untwisted, the webbing returned to normal strength. Vehicle belt webbing is strong enough to withstand pull tests of over 6000 lb of force. This is 3 to 4 times the strength needed to restrain a 60-lb child in a severe crash. Based on these data, CR experts advise that up to three full twists in belt webbing will not reduce its strength enough to risk failure when restraining a child in a CR.
    http://carseat.org/Technical/tech_up...twistedvehbelt

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

19. Thank You from:

I was always under the understanding that you can only have 3 twists TOTAL....whether on the female buckle stalk or the female end of the from ceiling attachment. 3 total. You have 6 twists. That is not acceptable in my CPST opinion.

Using Car-Seat.Org app, please excuse the crazy auto corrects

21. Thank You from:

thanks guys. I am a CRST as well and that didn't sound right to me. I was hoping others would pipe up. so the install needs to be redone.
    Misty

23. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I posted that question on this board about a year ago and was told it is acceptable, as long as each piece of webbing wasn't twisted more than 3 times. It is about webbing strength I thought. I'll try to search for my old thread...

ETA: Ok, so it was 3 yrs ago. and I guess it wasn't answered as decidedly as I had recalled. I see that you were part of the discussion and were of the same opinion back then Misty, but there were other tech's who thought it was OK and some who admitted they did not know how to answer the question. It appears to not be answered in that manual, b/c that is about how many times you can twist a single piece of webbing and how that webbing responds to being twisted. here's the old thread, I think I will start a new thread since I can't reply to the old one and I do need an answer to this question now.
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=103392

I'll remove my post here since this is not a decidedly "ok" technique
    Last edited by romanoma; 01-31-2013 at 08:46 AM.

This thread is for successful installs only new questions should be posted in a new thread.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer (no third row seat)

Driver side/center/passenger side I have done:

RF Radian XTSl/FF Radian XTSL/RF Radian XTSL (CPST checked, all three tethered appropriately)

RF Radian/FF Radian/RF EFTA (not tech checked)

Hyundai Sonata 2012
    Canadian car seats
    Graco Snugride 30 behind driver's seat, with latch
    Diono 100 in middle, FF, with 3 point seatbelt
    Air protect RF behind passenger, with latch (we also tried RF, it worked)