Successful Three Across thread

mom2olivia

I don't need to do a 3 across now but in my 99 Ford Tauraus I could do a Graco Myride and an Graco Turbo booster HBB and an evenflo amp nbb.

I also did a FFing TFP and an evenflo Titan elite and a Graco turbo booster.

The boosters were a PITB to buckle in though. I'm so glad I have a minivan now!
You can sort of see my 3 across here. The TB is in the middle and the evenflo seat is outerboard
74284_516067665774_167300060_30545235_7369113_n.jpg

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
2003 Saturn L200

Driver to passenger side:

FF Radian XTSL, FF Radian 65, RF Akta/Graco Belogic
Radians installed with seatbelt (switched retractors)and tether; 2 twists of outboard buckle stalk, 11/2 of center; no recline on either. Tight fit next to each other and a bit difficult but they are independently tight (a bit of movement but well less than 1".)
Belogic installed with seatbelt, lockoff, retractor switched, braced, rf tether wrapped around one side of front seat through seat bight as I did not like wrapped all the way around (it didn't feel as secure.)

aja

****Please note: Poster has since discovered that the Radian install in this position is not compatible in this position, so these 3 across are no longer valid****

1998 Chevy Suburban
All in the third row, all seat belts (middle is lap with locking latchplate, outboard are l/s):

All FFing, BLVD, RNXT, BLVD. Had to do drivers side BLVD first, then RN, then for the 3rd BLVD I had to buckle it before sliding the seat into position in order to reach the buckle, then tighten. The Radian needs tricks, but I'll post that in the radian install thread.
3across.jpg

The same seats, same ordered worked RFing as well, but the last BLVD was *extremely* difficult to use the lock off, but possible. Install the same order as FFing and again, buckle before positioning the last BLVD.

It was not possible to do any combination of RF and FF together with those seats.

Second set up, still 3rd row seat belts:
(starting from passenger outboard) snugride, FFing RN XT, FFing BLVD
3across2.jpg

install BLVD, then Radian, then SR. The SR base was really wedged in there and I couldn't tell if it was actually installed tight or not until I removed the Radian (and it was). It was wedged tightly but did not bend the plastic out of shape.

Not checked by tech.

what was the problem with the radian in this set up? i'm trying to figure out a new seating arrangement in my suburbans (96 and 2002) and was planning on ff radian in the middle with infant seat in that same corner seat. i would love some details on why this was not ok!

erind

2000 Subaru Forester

All installed with seatbelts

FF Britax Marathon behind driver, FF SK Radian 80 center, and RF Scenera behind passenger.

Tough install. A tech installed it and it took him an hour and a half.

Brianna

1999 Chevy Cavalier

All seatbelt installs

Driver to passenger
High back turbo, RF Evenflo Tribute, FF Alpha Omega Elite.

Not checked by a tech but the seats were independently tight. Adult had to buckle the child in the Turbo.

ETA
Also

HBTB, RF Tribute, FF MR
HBTB, FF MR, FF Tribute

Last edited:

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
2008 Chrysler Town&Country (Grand Caravan)
Driver side --> Passenger Side 3rd row

Evenflo BigKid HBB, FF Scenera, FF Radian.

Be aware that this leaves the Radian with NO top tether as there is only one in the center. All seat belt installs.

Checked by a tech (me)

2004 Chevy Classic (Same as 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 Chevy Malibu)
Driver side --> Passenger Side

FF Marathon, RF Radian (newborn angle), RF Marathon (toddler angle about 35*) Both RF seats were RF tethered and FF Marathon was TT'd as well. Passenger seat was usable but tight. Driver seat was about 3/4 way back. OK for 5'9" DH.

Marathons did touch the arm rests on the doors, but not significant. Checked by a tech (me)

scoutingbear

2005 Highlander
Middle row
Keyfit with base LATCH install, RF Radian, Keyfit with base LATCH install (it would have been easier to get the seats in and out of the bases if they had been seatbelt installs.

Also,
RF MR seatbelt, RF Radian seatbelt, Keyfit LATCH

Not checked by tech but all independently tight

jjordan

Really excited about this one!

1997 Subaru Legacy wagon

Compass I420 infant seat (with base) behind driver (lap/shoulder belt)

Recaro Prosport in center (lap belt and top tether)

RF Britax Boulevard (original version) behind passenger (lap/shoulder belt)

Spam

2007 Mercury Milan (fusion, mkz)
all lap/shoulder seatbelt installs, independetly tight- not tech checked
rf boulevard 70, frontier85, teutonia35 (snugride35)
frontier 85, rf radian 80sl, rf boulevard 70
rf boulevard 70, frontier 85, rf coccoro
also pretty sure a rf boulevard 70, frontier85, rf boulevard 70 would fit. I took the boulevard 70 and moved it to the other side and it fit.
DSC02394-1.jpg
DSC02393.jpg

Mae

2004 Grand Am, four door.

FF RN - Passenger side
RF CCO - Center
FF RN - Driver side

All seatbelt installs. Installed and checked by two techs. :)

WatsonFam5

Car: 2005 Honda CR-V

Configuration from passenger side to driver side:

Britax Roundabout, FF, LATCH install
Graco (22) Snugride, RF, belt install
Radian 80sl, FF, LATCH install

I didn't think it would be possible, honestly, to safely and securely install all three seats with the Snugride in the middle like I wanted, but I was pleasantly surprised! :)

EmmaCPST

CPST Instructor
A long distance friend with a similarly sized vehicle asked me to try some three across combos for her ... so I gave it a shot this afternoon with what I had at the house: a Scenera 40, Radian 65, Marathon 65, Turbo Booster, and Nautilus these are the only two combos I could come up with (I couldn't get anything to fit with the Nautilus, stupid wide armrests):

1998 Honda CRV (all seat belt of course) all independently tight, I am a tech. Lap/shoulder belts with locking retractors outboard and center lapbelt with locking latchplate.

I can't imagine why anyone would need this combo, but it worked:

5-31-11001.jpg

FF Marathon 65, FF Radian 65, FF Scenera. Tether points are on the ceiling, I didn't bother to hook any of them up and I only have one retrofitted anyway, but they are available from Honda.

This might work with the Scenera rear facing in that same spot, I messed with it for a little while and almost got it to fit, but every time I took the Radian out the Scenera was looser than I liked and I was tired of messing with it.

Note: The Radian is incompatible RF in the center, the combo of a large center hinge for the 60/40 seat, wide seat belt spacing, locking latchplate, and long belt stalk simply do not work. Believe me, I've tried and tried. It was very easy FF in the center though, which is a nice option for an older child since it is a lapbelt only/no headrest seating position. It installs easily outboard RF and FF, however, with a couple buckle twists.

A more useful scenario:

5-31-11004.jpg

RF Radian outboard passenger, RF Marathon center, Turbo Booster outboard driver. The TB buckle is pretty tight and a child couldn't do it on their own, but it does fit in there nicely.

5-31-11006.jpg

5-31-11008.jpg

Space for buckling between the MA and the TB.

LittlePeanut

2009 Nissan Versa

driver/centre/passenger

FF Classic Marathon/FF Radian XT/RF Radian XT

and

Graco High back Turbo Booster/FF Radian XT/RF Radian XT

All installed with seatbelts.
All checked for independent tightness and either are rock solid or less than 1" of movement at the beltpath.
All top tethered.

Front passenger legroom is limited but reasonable.

I'm a tech.

001-2.jpg
003-1.jpg
004-2.jpg
005-1.jpg

mommycat

2007 Honda Civic sedan

driver/center/passenger

adult in seatbelt / RF MyRide / Harmony backless (literider?)

MR was installed with lap/shoulder belt locked at the retractor, no twists in buckle were needed. Medium recline.
I had tried to fit in the PWSG but the flare on the highback fought for space with the MR shell.
I sat in the seatbelt only spot driver's side and it was very comfortable sitting next to the MR.

mommycat

Question about the thread, here... I am 98% sure that I have posted in this thread before with 3 across in the Civic and Silverado. But the posts are not there. Has anyone else lost posts? Does anyone know why this is happening? (Am I losing my marbles?)

scoutingbear

2005 Highlander

From passenger side to driver's side. All installed with seatbelt. Not formally checked by a tech, but she saw them. ;)

Monterey (can be buckled by child in booster. LATCH could not be pulled tight as he needs to "hop" the seat into position after buckling, but it does work),
RF Radian
Frontier 85

:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC