Successful Three Across thread

groovymom2000

2004 Volvo V70r

Passenger outboard Parkway--I will have to buckle this one.
Center--Snugride, seatbelt
Driver OB--FF Radian, LATCH

3acrosssrpwrad2.jpg

ADS

Andie

1998 Mercury Sable

Driver OB - RF Uptown
Middle - RF Scenera
Passenger OB - Nautilus

All installed with seat belt. Not checked by tech, but all are independently tight. Have to install the Nautilus first, as far over as you can get with the funky contours, then the Scenera and then the Uptown. The vehicle seats are squishy, so the Uptown fits a little under the side of the Scenera. However this doesn't affect the install, as it is not braced.

3acrossSable.jpg

emandbri

2004 sienna.
3rd row

3 britax marathons. It would not have worked if I had to have them all forward facing, they wouldn't have puzzled well together. I had to use the seat belt instead of the latch on the middle marathon, the latch moved it over too far to the side.

It was A LOT of work! I basically had to recline the seats of the van, buckle them in but not tighten them and then buckle each of them a little bit at a time and then go to the next seat. Getting one in and then trying to get the others in did not work.

DSC01991.JPG

2004 sienna
middle row
rear-facing marathon
forward facing marathon
monterey

The middle row is much bigger, I think pretty much anything will fit there! ;)

DSC01922.JPG

Pixels

2008 Honda Fit

Driver's side: BabyTrend FlexLoc, LATCH
Center: FFing Radian (seatbelt, there is no LATCH in this position) with top tether
Passenger's: BabyTrend FlexLoc, works with either LATCH or seatbelt.

Not tech-checked, this was just me playing in the parking lot.

I had to use just about every trick there is in order to get the Radian in there correctly. Recline the vehicle seats. Remove the headrests from the center and driver's positions and store securely. Twist the female buckle stalk twice, and the little clippy thing (the one that you clip the seatbelt into when it comes down from the ceiling) once. It is easier to twist the stalks if you lift the seat bottom about half way up, this lets the belt twist below the level of the seat cushions. Take the little clippy thing and the driver's side female buckle out of their elastic holders. Put the RN in recline mode. Loosely connect the top tether. Buckle and tighten, keeping the seat as centered on the vehicle seat as possible (not centered in the seatbelt). It will still be too loose, now you have to let it slide a bit toward the driver's side to get an acceptable install. Once it moves less than one inch at the belt path, push it as far towards the passenger's side as you can (it won't go far, but you need those millimeters). Install the FlexLoc bases. Move the vehicle seat backs back into upright position, then take the slack out of the Radian's top tether.

The Radian and driver's side seats touch/press slightly on each other but they are independently tight. There is about an inch of room between the FlexLoc seat and the door. There is tons of room on the passenger's side. The seats do not touch each other, and the FlexLoc also does not touch the door. The driver's side FlexLoc seat is a bit tougher than normal to get clicked into the base because it is pressing a bit on the Radian. I used two hands (one at the top of the seat and one at the foot) and pressed down while listening for the clicks to tell me it was in.

1997 Civic (pre-LATCH so all seatbelts, but you knew that already ;) ):
Parkway, RSTV, Parkway
FPSV booster, CarGo, FPSV (pain to buckle but do-able, just barely)

2005 Highlander - all seat belt installs
Parkway, Turbo, Parkway (PITA to buckle, but do-able)
Parkway, FPSV booster, Parkway (much easier to buckle)
I *think* I also did various 2 Parkway, 1 CarGo and 2 CarGo, 1 Parkway configurations but can't remember, and have since donated one CarGo to a mom with a home daycare to replace an expired OHS and the other is on loan to a family in my twins club so I can't test it out.

mfrasier

My First Three across...
Lexus Rx300 2002

Outboard: FF Eddie Bauer Deluxe (the one without recline) LATCH install
Middle: RF Alpha Omega Elite Sport Belt install
Outboard: Graco Turbo Backless Turbo Booster

Not check by tech I had pick up friends kids and then drop them and their seats off at the another babysitters. But they were all really solid.

o_mom

1997 Buick LeSabre

Starriser Comfy, Marathon (center lap belt), Parkway

I honestly can't imagine that you couldn't get just about any three seats in this car. The back seat is huge and has locking latchplates in all three spots. No headrests, so you need to keep that in mind when picking seats.

Misty-Bug

1996 Ford Taurus Station wagon

SR Driver side
Radian FFing center, lap belt
Radian FFing passenger side outboard, lap/shoulder belt

in place of the SR I can fit other seats like a SS1, evenflo, booster etc

AlmostFive

2007 Honda Odyssey

Full set of LATCH in 2nd row passenger and driver's side and 3rd row middle. Top Tethers in all positions except 2nd row middle 'plus one' set.

Passenger:Center: Driver

2nd Row
Nautilus (harness mode; seatbelt or latch install): FPSVB(high back): SS1 with base (seatbelt or latch install)

3rd Row
Graco CarGo(harness): FPSVB (high back): TB (high back);

SS1 with base:FPSVB (high back): TB (high back)

2001 VW Passat Wagon

Top tethers, no lower anchors

Passenger: Center: Driver

Graco CarGo(harness): FPSVB(backless):SS1 with base

Not checked by a tech.

zeo2ski

****Please note: Poster has since discovered that the Radian install in this position is not compatible in this position, so these 3 across are no longer valid****

1998 Chevy Suburban
All in the third row, all seat belts (middle is lap with locking latchplate, outboard are l/s):

All FFing, BLVD, RNXT, BLVD. Had to do drivers side BLVD first, then RN, then for the 3rd BLVD I had to buckle it before sliding the seat into position in order to reach the buckle, then tighten. The Radian needs tricks, but I'll post that in the radian install thread.
3across.jpg

The same seats, same ordered worked RFing as well, but the last BLVD was *extremely* difficult to use the lock off, but possible. Install the same order as FFing and again, buckle before positioning the last BLVD.

It was not possible to do any combination of RF and FF together with those seats.

Second set up, still 3rd row seat belts:
(starting from passenger outboard) snugride, FFing RN XT, FFing BLVD
3across2.jpg

install BLVD, then Radian, then SR. The SR base was really wedged in there and I couldn't tell if it was actually installed tight or not until I removed the Radian (and it was). It was wedged tightly but did not bend the plastic out of shape.

Not checked by tech.

Last edited by a moderator:

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I have a couple of different situations to put here for those who may be looking.

First, 2003 Dodge Caravan:
Evenflo Titan (ff), seatbelt, no tether available. (I can also put either my Evenflo Big Kid Booster OR my Graco Turbo Booster here but it is difficult to buckle)
Graco SS1, seatbelt
Graco CarGo, seatbelt, no tether available.

Second, 1998 Subaru Impreza:
Graco TurboBooster
Evenflo Titan (rf) OR Graco SS1
Graco CarGo, seatbelt, no tether available

I love how narrow the CarGo is plus it has super high harness slots. That is the ONLY seat my dd fits in other than the hwh seats at 41 inches.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Not technically 3 across, since it was two seats and a mom, but posting it anyway.

2004 VW Touareg *really firm seats, kinda hard to get enough weight*

MOM/Peg Perego Primo Viaggo (rfing w/seat belt)/MA (ffing w/seat belt)

MA had to be pretty close to the door. LATCH install put it too close to the infant seat.

Did not work with MA on passenger side, only on driver side. Something low profile enough to get below the infant seat handle would have worked.

Sorry, no pics. This was a check and client did not want me to take any.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
1998 Dodge Ram 2500.

Roosevelt (works SBP or LBP)
Frontier- lap only
Regent/Husky/Traveler Plus

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

2002 Dodge Neon

RF Graco Comfort Sport
FF Graco Cargo
FF Graco Nautilus

All installed with seat belts. I wouldn't recomend it, but it is doable.

Last edited:

christineka

2007 toyota sienna

3rd row:
rfing tribute, rfing scenera, turbobooster
rfing tribute, ffing scenera, turbobooster
rfing tribute, rfing radian, vivo/ nautilus/ turbobooster
fp booster, rfing scenera, rfing tribute
rfing radian, rfing radian, vivo

Not my 3 across, but I saw it and thought I'd add it while I was adding mine:
parkway, ffing marathon, parkway *note* kids could buckle their boosters!!!

Last edited:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I added 2 more 3-across situations in my stupid narrow backseat.

07 kia optima ( hyundai sonata clone)

vision used as booster, AOE used as booster, eddie bauer infant bucket.

also

vision used as booster, RFing titan, eddie bauer infant bucket.

Seat belt install on the bucket both times, seatbelt for the RF titan.

Boosters were nearly impossible to buckle, needed both adults wedging in there and swearing to get them buckled.
I woudl not recommend the first scenario except in an emergency.
the second scenario, wasn't that bad, but still a pain. I would *choose* to do it only as long as it took me to save up for a radian.

crstcrzy

5 seats in 1 2002 Grand Caravan (Quad Seating)
DRIVER Passenger
SS1 APEX65
RFScenera, ff scenera highrise

Had some issues with getting everything in, as I wanted to put the apex on the back bench, but its too bloody wide to do anything with there. would be great if i was using the outboard position, and nothing in the middle, but alas, its in the front.
Had to move the SS1 behind me because it caused too much of a blind spot when doing shoulder checks on the passenger side.
SS1's seat head rest is removed to accomodate the RF scenera. lots of clearance this way. FF scenera is installed lap only, and had to put a locking clip on it because the cinching latchplate wasn't holding true.
:love:I love crs's :D

ame0312

"FF scenera is installed lap only, and had to put a locking clip on it because the cinching latchplate wasn't holding true."

you cant use a locking clip on a lap belt...

2007 Base Kia sedona(different than the long base)

Britax Parkway, RF scenera, FPSV(Booster)

RF Scenera, FPSV, Britax Parkway

RF scenera, Britax Parkway, FPSV

RF scenera, FPSV, Evenflo Chase

*ALL Carseats were installed with seatbelt. The parkway was always tilted. :-(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC