Successful Three Across thread

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Make/Model/Year: Toyota Sienna 04
Install method: Seatbelts - all lap/shoulder belts
Configuration of seats: Outboard rear-facing, middle forward facing
Seats used: 2MA (center and outboard), 1DC (outboard)
Checked by a Tech: Yes

see thread with pics here

Unfortunately I tried this with 2MAs and 1BV (DC replaced with BV by Britax) and I could not get a good fit. It must be due to them all having the LATCH bars. The DC doesn't have LATCH bars which is why I was able to get the 3 of them to fit nice and snug. I think the absence of the LATCH bars just gave a smidgen of extra room. Amazing how that one difference made such a HUGE difference.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would monopolize the thread if I tried to list ALL the 3 acrosses I've done in the past 10 years, LOL.

So I'll just post what I've learned doing 3 across.

1. don't assume.

A big car seat may fit in a 3 across in a small car. Even in a space where a smaller seat did not fit.

A combination of seats that seems impossible may work if you change what goes where. Or what child uses which seat.

Driver and passenger outboard positions are not necessarily identical.

2. Don't be afraid to try something someone else found impossible.

3. Don't measure. The numbers NEVER add up to enough space, but that doesn't mean squat.

4. You may end up with a car seat brand you said you would never buy. (I may have to buy another d@mn Radian in the near future)

5. Don't attempt a 3 across when you are really hungry/tired/annoyed with the world. You'll end up throwing something expensive down on the driveway in disgust.

6. Do keep your sense of humor when the cop stops to ask you what you are doing in your bathrobe throwing stuff around in the driveway at 2 AM.

7.Remember that new seats are almost always cheaper than new cars. Practice saying this in the mirror before breaking the news to your SO.

8. Find a car seat buddy to play 3 across with. ( JULIE!!) Make sure to have lots of ice cream and root beer on-hand to see you through it.

Stretchy Glue

I would monopolize the thread if I tried to list ALL the 3 acrosses I've done in the past 10 years, LOL.

So I'll just post what I've learned doing 3 across.

1. don't assume.

A big car seat may fit in a 3 across in a small car. Even in a space where a smaller seat did not fit.

A combination of seats that seems impossible may work if you change what goes where. Or what child uses which seat.

Driver and passenger outboard positions are not necessarily identical.

2. Don't be afraid to try something someone else found impossible.

3. Don't measure. The numbers NEVER add up to enough space, but that doesn't mean squat.

4. You may end up with a car seat brand you said you would never buy. (I may have to buy another d@mn Radian in the near future)

5. Don't attempt a 3 across when you are really hungry/tired/annoyed with the world. You'll end up throwing something expensive down on the driveway in disgust.

6. Do keep your sense of humor when the cop stops to ask you what you are doing in your bathrobe throwing stuff around in the driveway at 2 AM.

7.Remember that new seats are almost always cheaper than new cars. Practice saying this in the mirror before breaking the news to your SO.

8. Find a car seat buddy to play 3 across with. ( JULIE!!) Make sure to have lots of ice cream and root beer on-hand to see you through it.

Julie, may I use this at my meeting next week? It's wonderful and SO TRUE!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
RF MA/Combi Tyro infant seat/FF Scenera
All with belts
Checked by a tech

1998 Ford Taurus
RF MA/RF Scenera/RF Scenera
RF Scenera/FF Scenera/RF Combi Tyro Infant seat

2001 Chevy Venture, 3 bucket seats in middle row
RF MA (LATCH), RF or FF Scenera (ALR lap belt), RF or FF Radian (l/s belt)
RF MA (LATCH), RF or FF Triumph (ALR lap belt), RF or FF Radian (l/s belt)
RF MA (LATCH), RF Combi Tyro infant seat, RF or FF Radian or Triumph (l/s belt)
*Radian installs RF in the center seat but is incompatible FF with the ALR lap belt.
Checked by a tech.

abacus2

My three across scenerios, obviously all with belts:

1997 Intrepid:
Every combination that I tried (I can't even remember them all), RFing or FFing, of Decathlon, FPSVD, Snugride, older Triumph, or Touriva. Locking clips (or the lock-offs) were required to keep my belts tight, even with the flip the latchplate trick, for all of the installs I tried. The Snugride is a little tricky to get into its base when installed passenger side next to a FFing Decathlon.

The Graco Nautilus, while it shockingly has a belt path that holds the belt at the correct angle so the locking mechanism actually works, will definitely NOT fit outboard next to a RFing Decathlon/FPSVD, that arrangement doesn't even come close to working.

1998 2 door Chevy Cavalier
I've never actually put 3 across in this car, but I was able to install a RFing Touriva passenger outboard with a FFing FPSVD center. There was room for another narrow seat like the Touriva or a narrow booster driver's side outboard.

andbabiesmake4

2007 Ford F150
FF MA, FF/RF MA, FF MA
FF MA, FF radian, FF/RF MA

Basically any way I work it I can get 3 across easily outboard ones with latch & center with seatbelt.

skipspin

07 Jeep JK, 4 door Wrangler

Not too hard. All use center seatbelt, most outboard installations use LATCH.

RFing Britax/FFing Britax, FFing RN, RFing Britax/Combi Conection/Parkway/Evenflo Chase
(The FFing RN with seatbelt is not for the faint of heart!)

Really, most anything would fit three across, although you'd have to be creative with a Regent :)

Momto3Divaz

Make/Model/Year: Honda Accord '96
Install method: Seatbelts and top tether, outboard seats are lap/shoulder with lapbelt in the middle
Configuration of seats: all Forward-facing (FF)
Seats used: MA, Radian, MA

image.jpg

Make/Model/Year: Rendezvous '06
Install method: outboard FF - LATCH with tether, middle FF - lapbelt with tether, Outboard RF LATCH
Configuration of seats: FF, FF, RF
Seats used: MA, Radian, snugride

Will add a picture later.

I wonder how much different the backseat of an Accord is compared to the backseat of a Focus...:question:

mommy_quigg

I got 3 across in a 2001 Pontiac Aztek.
Evenflo embrace, LATCH, Passenger side outboard
Sunshine Kids Radian, lap belt, centre, FF
Cosco Alpha Omega Elite, LATCH, RF or FF, Driver's side outboard.
Not checked by a tech (except online with pictures :) )

Note: in the pictures, both RF seats are braced against the front seats, which they shouldn't be. They need 1" clearance. I don't have the heart to redo this in the middle of winter so it will be warm weather before I can retake the pictures.

Dsc06374rsaoerf.jpg

Dsc06379lsaoeff.jpg

tiggercat

Would it not work better having MA/Radian/Parkway, then the buckle is on for the parkway is between that and the radian, and it is low enough down? Just a thought.

It probably would work better in the manner you described. I actually just tried it out for fun sice I had purchased a Radian for our other car (incompatible, btw). I don't have my hands a RN at present to try it out. I think when the baby comes I might try a RN FF in the middle for my then 3 yr old, and a snugride outboard for the baby. I will miss my MA though, it's my fave seat ever.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
If she doesn't have LATCH in the centre, then the RN is a PITB to install FF with the seatbelt. That may be why it's outboard.

Once you figure out the tricks it really isnt' all that hard. I have installed the Radian FF with a seatbelt several times and don't have problems with it.

Amaris

3 across in a 2000 Chevrolet Impala
Passenger outboard: Graco ss1
Middle: Britax Regent
Driver outboard: Britax Marathon FF
All installed with seatbelt (doesn't have latch), Regent and Marathon tethered
Not checked by a tech but all very solid independently of each other

Will try soon with the ss1, graco airbooster, and regent. Also will try a marathon, regent, and airbooster.

CrabbyBunchX3

YEAR/MAKE/MODEL: 2005 Pontiac wide track grand prix
SEATS: Driver's side outboard-FF safety1st intera(base removed)
Center-Graco safeseat1 with base
Passenger side outborad- FF Cosco scenera
TYPE OF INSTALL: All seats installed with vehicle belt. FF outboard seats locked via the retractor and Safeseat1(center position) locked using built in lock-off

*Was able to get better fits for all 3 seats using vehicle belt vs latch.

*Not checked by a tech, but all are installed independent of each other.

will update later with picture.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC