Help me figure this out? Might need a new seat for DS

elle7715

We *just* got a 2008 Chevy Cobalt that I really like. It is small though. Right now we have DD RF passenger side in the Radian. DS is RF driver's side in the MA. Well, actually DS has been riding in the Radian lately. DD *really* wanted to sit in brother's seat and she still fits. I'm going to switch her back after she gets over it. I'd consider a permanent switch but she's getting too tall for it. Here's my problem: The MA has to be really upright to make it comfortable for the driver. It's too upright for DS and DH STILL says he needs more room. I'm fine with it a little farther up but it's still not enough recline for DS. What do I do? I could have DD forward facing but I'm considering that a last resort. When she pitches a fit it's hard to get her into a seat period, it would be ever harder if she could slide to the floor. Plus she's a lightweight and I believe she's safer that way. What should I do? If I bought a seat I was considering a few options:
A) Buy another Radian so I could put it in the center for DS. If I installed DD's Radian with the seatbelt I think I could fit it in. The big problem with this is that DD would be right next to her poor brother, and I think she would take full advantage of that. There's over a foot between them now and it has been *heaven*. I also hate tightening the straps on it when it's rear facing.
B) Buy DS another seat with a smaller 'footprint' and keep him outboard. I was thinking of the True Fit or the Roundabout/Diplomat. Of course we'll run into the same problem when he outgrows the Roundabout/Diplomat or the True fit without the headrest, but DD will be older and I would be OK with her FF full time then.

Now I have questions about seats. Which do you think would take up less room, the small Britax seats or the True Fit? He's in 18 month onesies right now and has been for a while. He also lost weight (long story) but should start gaining again soon. He's down to 19 lbs. Because the MA is so upright I put the straps on the bottom slot and he's right below the middle slots in the Radian (also pretty upright). I don't want to get a seat that he will outgrow rearfacing in a few months or will take up just as much room as the MA at a decent angle.
I'm sorry this is so long! If there are any other solutions please mention them. DH is upset we may have to but another seat but I'd rather spend $200 or under on a seat than the thousands more it would have cost us to get a bigger car.

ADS

solmama

Our EFTA (evenflo triumph advance) takes up less space rf than our FPSVD (made by Britax, similar to the Marathon). It allows us to have the driver's seat 1-2 clicks farther back than any other seats (the Radian was the worst rf). If you're near a Babies-R-Us, they'll probably let you try one out in your vehicle before purchasing. Otherwise, Target and some Wal-Marts have them (and you could always return it). I'd write more but my dd is here demanding a snack. Happy shopping!

wildeyes

i have an EFTA at full newborn recline and i have tons of room in the front seat. i have an "02 elantra, and my dh can ride in the front seat and hes 6'2" heres a pic
S7300233.jpg

and there is tons and tons of room to grow. i actually put my 6yr old in it and she had room to spare

elle7715

I didn't even think of the EFTA because it's so wide. I assumed it would take up a ton of room rearfacing. I love the cover on it and I have a 15% off coupon for BabiesRUs...hmmm. I'll definitely visit Babies R Us this Thursday. Thank you for mentioning it!

ETA: Does Evenflo have the 1 inch of space rule for this seat? Or can it touch the front seat?

steph

Silly question but can you get the Radian more upright than the MA (I know it is a small chance but just wondering)???

I am such a Britax fan and I played around with the EFTA but it still didn't compare (I like the Radian too) to my BV, IMO.

Also you can't fit the MA outboard and Radian center or vice versa???

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
No, Elle, the EFTA does not have the 1" rule. I think that is on older seats and/or the infant seats. My 2005 Triumph does not have the 1" rule. DD loves the EFTA--that came in a close second behind the Como. Speaking of which, rumor has it that the Recaro convertibles take up less room RF than the Britaxes. How much less room, I'm not sure.

elle7715

Silly question but can you get the Radian more upright than the MA (I know it is a small chance but just wondering)???
Also you can't fit the MA outboard and Radian center or vice versa???

No and no, unfortunately. The Radian is as upright as I can get it, which is great for DD. But it takes up just as much room as the MA and I can't get it any more upright without taking the boot off. I can't get a good install with both of them next to each other. The MA shoves the Radian over and when I take the MA out the Radian moves all over the place.

No, Elle, the EFTA does not have the 1" rule.

OK good, that will really help. I think the Recaros will be too expensive for us, and I don't really like them rearfacing. :eek:

arly1983

The como/signo do take up less room than the MA/BV/DC but not much and the seat itself is bolt upright.

The EFTA takes up so little room RFing that we can let our seats back all the way and it is still not touching it.

Picture133-1.jpg

The white on the other side of the Como shell is the shell of a MA RFing.
Picture406.jpg

elle7715

Thank you for the pics everyone :) Tomorrow is going to be an errand/cleaning/carseat day. I'll try to remember to bring the camera to take pictures. Poor DS will probably have a breakdown though, the poor kid hates being confined. Darn it...now DD will see that pink BV and want it :p

elle7715

Decisions decisions. We went to BRU yesterday and I tried the EFTA and the Diplomat in our car. We could move the seat back a little with the EFTA, but not very much. I didn't really like the seat either, except for the cover. I LOVED the Diplomat. I guess I'm just a Britax girl at heart. :p I couldn't move the seat back very much but I could get a much better recline for DS. I loved the wings. DH saw the price tag and almost fell over :whistle: He said he'd rather feel cramped then spend the money to get a new seat. Which would solve our problem, except DS needs more of a recline. SO...I'm going to let DD stay in DS's MA until she outgrows it. At that point I'll have her RF in the Radian and DS will be older and won't need the recline as much. If he still can't handle it I'll have DD FF in the Regent. I'm going to reinstall the Radian but instead of making it as upright as I can, I'll try to recline it. If DD changes her mind about stealing her brother's seat then I'll just have to make a quick decision. But for now DS is happily riding around in a bright pink carseat. My sister is scandalized :rolleyes: Oh, and I figured out why DD loves the Marathon...she can see out the window better!
I can't guarantee what I'll do if I see a Diplomat on sale though :eek:

arly1983

I can't guarantee what I'll do if I see a Diplomat on sale though :eek:

FLOL, since I will not be participating this year! I am all about EMPOWERMENT! (You can blame it on me)

Though I have to tell you I am REALY tempted to get an RA. I loved my RA and I have a niece to pass it down to, right? and if it is as cheap as last time, I just can't pass it up. :whistle:

elle7715

LOL, I think I'm officially an addict now. My spending money goes towards kids anyway, now it's just on carseats. Before now 'spending money' was a joke, so I may be going overboard now. I liked the RA but DS just looked so big in it. I like how the Diplomat wings protected his head and I'm off to find the thread where someone posted pictures and asked if you could RF until the their head reached the top of the wings, not just the main shell. If the answer is yes I may secretly stalk the sales this year. :cool:

ETA: Here is the thread. Looks like you can, so it would last longer for RF than a RA. Am I making excuses to buy another seat? I think I am.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC