Pictures of my sister's old carseat

Auntie2Avi

My sister was born in October 83 and we still had her carseat :eek:. I asked my mom if I could destroy it and she said ok. I have no idea why we still had it, no one was going to want to go near that with their child. I took a bunch of pictures of the destruction process. I was unable to get the plastic to break with a hammer so I just wrote "Do not use expired" all over it with sharpie and put it into the dumpster in Avi's appt building. The dumpster is in a secure location and only taken out when the garbage is taken every week or so. I was surprised at how hard the plastic still was, and how hard the seat was. I remember when my brother used the seat my parents had added some extra padding.

Seat DOM and weight/height limit- 17 lbs and 26 inches. I thought it was interesting that Avi's seat that we got 3 years ago had a 20 lb and 26 inch limit

IMG_0215.jpg

Harness adjuster, 3 point of course

IMG_0220.jpg

One harness slot, one crotch slot location

IMG_0226.jpg

Reclined all the way

IMG_0229.jpg

Middle recline position

IMG_0230.jpg

"upright"

IMG_0231.jpg

Beautiful cover, back side. Note the small holes on the sides, there were clips all over the seat, that is how they stayed together

IMG_0233.jpg

I could not crack the plastic with either a hammer or shovel, plus the metal bars would not come off

IMG_0236.jpg

ADS
Wow that is cool. I played with one of these at my tech training (NZ) It was also made in 83. That recline is scarey!

Im sure the one at training would have smashed, it is so brittle. We have high UVA&B rays here and some seats turn yellow from the sun.

Auntie2Avi

Maybe it was not brittle because it has been stored in the garage. It gets into the 90's in the summer but the garage stays pretty cool.

Holly

Wow, thats crazy! I was born in October of 83 and that thing is just scary to think about! I have no idea what kind of car seat I was ever in!

Splash

That's actually a pretty nice seat, given it's era. The recline, though... turn baby upside down? Who thought that was a good idea?

Auntie2Avi

Julie, it is funny that you say that because my mom had a Camaro when my sister was born. She got a station wagon two days before I was born. I have no idea how she managed to buckle my sister in and take her out of her car seats with her huge belly. My mom is very petite and really just got a huge belly during all of her pregnancies.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Wow, what a recline. Good for you on thinking to destroy it :thumbsup: If you ever destroy another I find that a sawz all works great to cut the shell up.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
That makes me VERY thankful for all of the nice seats that we have to choose from today! I remember my little brothers ('84 and '86) riding in similar seats, and then moving into a shield booster at 2 yrs old... scary!

maipenrai

Senior Community Member
Wow, it's amazing how far carseats have come in the last 25 years! It's neat to compare these old seats and see what we really have now.

mommyto4

My DD1 was born in Aug. 1983 and she had that seat, but with a different cover. I can't recall what the cover in hers looked like though. The recline was great in my brothers old Pinto though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC