Tried Nautilus

Auntie2Avi

Edited:

I put together and installed the GN today. It installed very easily in my car, which made me very happy. It is more work to get the DC in than it was to get the GN in my car. I did not like the lack of padding, but I figured I would deal with it. Avi LOVED it, he said he needed a cup right away, I guess even a 3 year old knows what a cupholder is without you telling them. Avi was just under the 2nd to the top slots, and that was borderline IMHO. I would most likely be moving them up in the next month. I am going to be returning the seat because of this. I do not want Avi in a booster until he is at least 4 1/2-5, even P/T. I just don't think this seat will last long enough for Avi's size at 3 years old. We are going to get two Regents, hopefully in the February sale. Here are some pics: The seats are both straight in the first picture, I was sitting in the front passenger seat and trying to take the picture.

ETA: I am sorry if I was not clear. I know that there is another slot. If you look at the up close picture of the GN I have the top slot being shown as well as the slot Avi would be using right now. I want to return the seat for a Regent because of how fast Avi has been growing. Since he moved to the DC people have been saying his growth will slow down, he will be RF for a while, he should fit FF for a while, but he went from the 2nd slots down on the DC to almost outgrowing it in 6 months. I do not want to be stuck with the GN in 6 months because Avi has outgrown the harness and then we need to get a Regent. I would rather get a Regent and sell it when I feel he is ready to be in a booster. I also want to get the Regent instead is because the GN was $160 including tax. If the Regents are $209 during the sale again I would rather spend a little bit more to get a lot more harness time. If Avi was a year older I would be fine with the GN, but he just turned 3 and I do not want him in a booster for at least a year and a half, and I don't know that he will last that long with the harness in the GN.

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

Just for comparison's sake here are two pics I took yesterday of
Avi in the DC:

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

I'm not sure why some of them are sideways. I tried to fix it 3x and it didn't work.

Last edited:
ADS

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Thanks for posting pics. I think Avi has more growing room in the Nautilus than in the Dc. Or is there another slot that is under the pillow. Are you going to get a Regent instead?

That one slot still likes like he would have quite some time in it. Yes you might have to move up in 4 weeks, but then you may not. His growth will slow more and more now. I think you need to give the seat a better chance.
He looks so happy in the seat and it will grow with him some more.

Can you use a harness with the graco seats, or is that not the done thing over there?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
That one slot still likes like he would have quite some time in it. Yes you might have to move up in 4 weeks, but then you may not. His growth will slow more and more now. I think you need to give the seat a better chance.
He looks so happy in the seat and it will grow with him some more.

Can you use a harness with the graco seats, or is that not the done thing over there?

I was thinking the same thing. She posted a reply in carseats returning my Nautilus about returning it for the arm popping off, so I don't know :confused:

abacus2

There isn't a higher slot in the DC; my dd fits very similarly in each seat. I just bought a Nautilus to replace her almost outgrown DC. The Nautilus has fabulous harness height; I'm very excited about it. I think it will easily last my dd to age 5, maybe even to 6.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
There isn't a higher slot in the DC; my dd fits very similarly in each seat. I just bought a Nautilus to replace her almost outgrown DC. The Nautilus has fabulous harness height; I'm very excited about it. I think it will easily last my dd to age 5, maybe even to 6.

Thanks. I know Avi is big for his age, but I think she should keep the GN. I think she could get another 2-3 yrs out of it. :twocents:

katiesmommy

Thanks. I know Avi is big for his age, but I think she should keep the GN. I think she could get another 2-3 yrs out of it. :twocents:

I highly doubt that considering he's gained about 1 1/2" in torso height in 6 months. I really don't think it would do much other then buy her a short amount of time.

abacus2

I know he has a good amount of growing room in the GN so it might last a long time, but he's just turned 3; it would have to last 2 years for him to make it to 5 in the seat. He's almost a full year younger than my daughter and actually has a little less growing room than she does. Also, the Nautilus is a readily available seat, if she needed the narrower profile of the Nautilus or the airline use potential not offered by the Regent, she could get another one quickly.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I highly doubt that considering he's gained about 1 1/2" in torso height in 6 months. I really don't think it would do much other then buy her a short amount of time.

I was not aware he gained that much torso height in 6 months. :eek: As a parent of almost grown boys I can say they do not always grow that quick. He may have just had a big growth spurt and may not grow at htat rate for another year or 2. :twocents:

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I know he has a good amount of growing room in the GN so it might last a long time, but he's just turned 3; it would have to last 2 years for him to make it to 5 in the seat. He's almost a full year younger than my daughter and actually has a little less growing room than she does. Also, the Nautilus is a readily available seat, if she needed the narrower profile of the Nautilus or the airline use potential not offered by the Regent, she could get another one quickly.

True ;)

arly1983

Thanks, Ilana, for the pics.

Jackson fits the Decathlon the same as Avi. So I can write this one off of the list, it wouldn't last long enough.

J just turned three this past week. People keep telling me he will slow down eventually, it still hasn't happend. Guess we got NBA stars on our hands.

The good news is I can guareentee he will have lots of room in the regent. The regent picture was taken this weekend.

Picture091.jpg
Picture314.jpg

amyg530

Ilana - based on posts of yours that i've read and given his size it definatly seems like the regent would be a better choice, IMO spending the extra $50 now for the regent makes more sense than buying the GN and still having to buy the regent later on. i'd rather have a 5pt that fits and decide that the child is old/big/mature enough for a booster than have then outgrow another seat too soon

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Ilana - based on posts of yours that i've read and given his size it definatly seems like the regent would be a better choice, IMO spending the extra $50 now for the regent makes more sense than buying the GN and still having to buy the regent later on. i'd rather have a 5pt that fits and decide that the child is old/big/mature enough for a booster than have then outgrow another seat too soon

If she was also considering the Regent I would go with that. She never replied when I asked. The GN is $150 so it will be more than $50 more, but agree that is the better route to go.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Arly, the way Jackson fits in the Regent now is exactly how my ds fit in it when we bought one when he was 5! (Karsten's not a tall boy... never has been... :D)

Just amazing to see that made me wish I still had that picture...

BuckeyezRule

Wow! Avi is build JUST like my good friend's DD, & 1 day younger. LOL Reese was born 10-4-04, & is 41", 42lbs. I know Miss Reese is very solid, & Avi looks that way too. My DS, Lucas, is the same height, 41", but only 35lbs, & he's 4 yrs, 4 1/2 mos. Belle is 39", 33lbs (although she might have snuck another pound in there since her last weigh LOL) , & she's 3yrs, 4 mos. Lucas has def. slowed down in his height growth in the past year, & Belle was shooting up, although, she's been steady at the same height for 4 mos now, so I think she's slowing too. I'm 5'10", & DH is 6'4" (ironically, Reese's parents are the exact same heights as DH & I are! :D) , so, we thought they'd be tall. Anyway, I got the Nautilus today, &, so far, love it! Very easy assembly & I installed it, just need to have BIL (the fireman/emt) check it out tomorrow. The kids were actually fighting over who gets it (Lucas will for now) . I'll see how it works, &, if we like it, will get another for Belle. Sorry for the novel. I'll take some pics of DS & post them.:rolleyes:

Auntie2Avi

Arly, thanks for the pics of Jackson. Happy birthday to him!! I am not sure if Walmart will let me return the Nautilus because I took the tags off, I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they say. If they will not allow me to do so I will put it on Craigslist.

This sucks!! I really wanted the GN to work well!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC