Cosco infant seats

mominabigtruck

I know alot of people here do not like dorel infant seats but I'm wondering why? I was looking at baby depots website and they had a designer 22 with eps foam, front adjust with an infant insert for $70. So I went to dorel's website and was checking it out and they have three different infant seats and they are all like that, including the eddie bauer one.

So, I guess I'm just wondering what's so horrible about them? Especially since they sell them at walmart and kmart and I would think it would be better then a rear adjust snugride or one of those 3 pt discoverys that are still floating around out there. :confused:

ADS

mominabigtruck

It only goes to 22lbs.

Yeah, but the majority of infant seats only go to 22lbs. I honestly don't think that america at large is rushing out to buy the ss1 or the keyfit 30. They're shopping at walmart buying the winnie the pooh travel system with the rear adjust snugride with absolutely no padding.

vonfirmath

Most of America are also buying the 3-in-1s. But that does not change what people here think about that seat.

"everyone does it" is not a logical reason. However, if people want to have to buy a seat earlier (or know that, regardless, they won't use a infant bucket to its full lifetime and want the cheaper price) they can make any choice they want. Every seat out there has to pass the same safety constraints.

People who buy seats that are hard to install, etc... well they are the ones having to deal with it. Around here, people are trying to convince parents NOT to put themselves to that pain. Not to say the seat isn't safe. If they get it in properly, of course it is safe. It is just the getting it in properly part that is difficult.

mominabigtruck

Ok, I went and looked at it again to see what ya'll are talking about it being hard to install. It has an adjustable base just like a snugride, I wasn't sure it did because I remember that mine didn't when I had mine 5 years ago.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've installed them in different vehicles without any problems, is there something specific that is difficult about them to install? Now I'm not talking about the weird bases that the eddie buaer seats had for a little while, just the basic designer 22.

I must be weird, because I would rather have a seat that I had to work a little harder to install but had eps foam and some cushion in it then a seat that was a breeze to install but bare bones.

NOAHSMOM

My nephew has an Eddie Bauer one (don't know off hand if it had EPS foam) and it was easy to adjust and install in the car when I took care of him one day. A few times that I saw him the straps were twisted though (should see his Scenera, quite twisted, but his parents don't care). His travel system was a lot nicer than the Discovery system I had in 2003.

cpsaddict

I acutually like the Designer 22. It tends to fit little babies well. However, the handle has to be put down in the car and it only locks in one position. I have not had much trouble installing them, but clicking the car seat in the base can be tricky. Overall, I would use a Designer 22 over a rear adjust Snugride any day. Just my :twocents:

Jordynsmama

See i dont care about 22 lbs, b/c I would buy an MA when my kid outgrew the carrier anyway-whether it be at 6 months or 1 yr. I would still have to buy a convertible anyway so when i bought it wouldnt matter.
But I would want a well reviewed seat. I didnt read the article Tumblebug put b/c it wasnt loading, but if something happened with one that would make me not wanna buy it.

We have them here in NZ, but we do not have the front adjust.
I found the base very hard to adjust. I had it upside down.
The cover is very thin and the plastic is thin compared to other seat brands (esp the UK ones we use).

The only thing I liked (and like on any capsule) is the rubber piece on the handle.

I think I will use just a convertible (true-fit or Brio or Radian) and skip the capsuel.

MaryAnn

I had a Safety 1st designer 22 for ds back in 2005 and hated it. No EPS or any sort of comfort padding just the thin cover and shell, rear adjust, horrible feeling fabric and a puzzle buckle (I think that's what they're called?). Plus, it was very difficult to install.

The designer 22 seat may be different now but my experience with it left a bad taste in my mouth.:thumbsdown:

Simplysomething

I had a designer 22 for ds2. He fit it until he was 10 months old (ds1 fit his infant seat til about 4 months. lol)

It was a rear adjust. Which was no issue for me, because it was a rear-facing seat. I think it had the puzzle buckle. I hated that part. Other than that, it was okay.

Now, the rear-adjusting graco treasured cargo that I had, that was a major PITA. But that was a ff'ing seat. lol

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I don't particularly care for the plastic buckle, but what really gets me is the handle needing to be down.

Huge common mistake and I don't care for seats where it's required to be down. It makes it difficult to fit in smaller vehicles rear facing and only becomes decent to install when you know what tricks to use. :)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's just recently that I've seen a front adjust of the designer 22 even become available, and I haven't seen it in any local stores - only online at US sites, so I'm not sure if the front adjust are available in Canada yet or not.

All snugrides sold in Canada have EPS foam now, but the designer 22's didn't when I looked the other day.

I hate how the slots in the shell and the slots in the fabric just really don't line up well - I mean really terribly on some seats.

The base is low profile and while it installs pretty easily with LATCH, it is more prone to being incompatible with a seatbelt install.

They also feel flimsy to me and have the typical dorel twisty straps...

Just my observations though... I think they have been improving over time, and I have less concerns over that plastic puzzle buckle now that the 2008 peg perego SIP seat is using the same type of one. If they're starting to come out as front adjust I won't dislike it as much. I also think they're redesigning the base on some of the newer models, so perhaps some of the incompatibilities will disappear too...

jaded

I don't particularly care for the plastic buckle, but what really gets me is the handle needing to be down.

Huge common mistake and I don't care for seats where it's required to be down. It makes it difficult to fit in smaller vehicles rear facing and only becomes decent to install when you know what tricks to use. :)

You know though, some of us have had the "handle must be down in motor vehicles" drilled into us for so many years, that I still shake my head when I see parents with the handles up on their seats. And I could personally never leave the handle up on any infant seat I used.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC