Another "Does insurance have to replace this?" question

popsicle

My SIL was in an accident over the weekend. She was going through a green light and someone came out of nowhere, ran the red light and SIL t-boned her. SIL's car is most likely totalled. My nieces car seat was installed in the back seat but DN was not in it. It's an Evenflo Triumph (old style). So does the other ladys insurance have to replace the car seat? I'm thinking yes but want to make sure before I tell SIL. I really hope so because DN had outgrown the seat and now SIL will have to get her a new one right?

ADS

Dillipop

Yes- Evenflo says to replace in any accident. Besides that, it sounds like the accident was severe enough to warrant replacement under NHSTA's guidelines too.

crunchierthanthou

Yes, they should replace it. She should call right away and request replacement. She should have her owner's manual handy (I believe Evenflo manuals state that the seat must be replaced after any crash) as well as NHTSA's guidelines for crashed seat replacement. If she has any problems, she should insist on a letter stating the denial and accepting liability should the carseat fail in the future.

Further, it's mandatory in some states for the at fault insurance to replace carseats after any crash (I know California for sure).

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Absolutely!! I had an unoccupied carseat in a wreck once, and when I removed it and examined it in the sunlight, there were hairline cracks along the belt path (they were hard to see in poor light, and the seat belt covered them when the seat was installed). Definitely replace it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC