I need help identifing a seat please.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No pictures, and here's what I have.

"XXXXXX's is a dorel. there is no other information on it except not to use it after 2010. I can't find it online but it has a blue almost slipcover on it. and the harness has the fit in closure across the chest and the puzzle looking snap at the bottom. Sorry I can't be of more help, I just don't know!!!!!"

I'm checking a lady's seats tonight and this is one of the three seats she has. She's got a fourth child, though I don't know how old or big she is. I can't wait to help her out. She contacted me asking about help for low income families, but I don't think she'll need it, just education to know how to work her seats. :) She's got a 3 in 1 for her baby (using it forward facing, but that's changing tonight as the baby is 1) and a Turbo for her five year old. Then this mystery seat. :)

Thanks!

Wendy

ADS

Stretchy Glue

I *think* the only two convertibles that were blue when they had the puzzle buckle were the AO (but the cover doesn't sound like it) and the Touriva (or equivalent). If it didn't have the puzzle buckle, the slip cover description makes me think of the Uptown. I can't wait to find out what it was.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Was the Uptown out in 2004? I thought it came out in 2006? Hmmm, need to check that out. She's got a three in one, so I don't think she'd confuse it with that. I don't know the regular AOs very well.

Wendy

Stretchy Glue

I don't think the Uptown was out in 2004, but the slip cover thing makes me think of that seat. If she has a 3-1, then I bet it's a Touriva or similar.

The AO's (to me) were a piece of cake. I hate the low harness, but I personally really liked the seat. I had three and they were installed in tons of different cars and never had a problem. Most people have to take the base off, but I never did. I can't wait to hear about this one.

MomToEliEm

Didn't some of the older Dorel seats have an 8-10 year expiration date? If so, it may be a 2000, 2002, or 2004 mfg seat. I have no clue what seat it is, but will be anxious to hear what you learn the model when you get your hands on it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Maxi Cosi Priori was 8 years, and had a puzzle buckle...but it was also labeled adequately.. no mom would just have one of those and not know what it was...(their other seats? names, shnames, they didn't care to label them at all, lol)

Dizzymomma

Could it also be one of the blueberry harness/booster combos that dorel has? I have the black one and the cover could be described as a "slipcover" as it comes off very easily.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
They ALL had puzzle buckles for a couple years... like 2003-2004. Every single one of them had that ridiculous contraption :p

Stretchy Glue

They ALL had puzzle buckles for a couple years... like 2003-2004. Every single one of them had that ridiculous contraption :p

DH and I liked that:D. For DH it was more like his racecar harness. Then again, we were weird enough to actually like the AO completely.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ever see that ad for the tire place where the grandma would throw the tire through the plate glass window? And the tagline was something like, if you don't like our tires, bring them back? I worked at a baby store where lots of grandmas got saddled with AO's while mom got the Marathon for her own car, and I had so many come in complaining of that buckle I'd think of that ad every time... :D (I sold a lot of Marathons to those unhappy grandmas, that's for sure :rolleyes:)

:)

cpsaddict

I am going to guess that it is a Touriva. Walmart sold one with the puzzle buckle and a cover that was blue and slipped off easily. 2004 would have been about right. My friend has a 2005 Touriva with the same cover as the current Scenera and the blue was before that.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
And it was.....

A Cosco High Back Booster (combo). It was in pretty decent shape. It had an annoying top tether. I couldn't get it long enough to go up over the top of the seat and then down the seatback to the anchor. I do like that it's a harnessed seat to 40 pounds then a booster from 40 pounds, none of that annoying overlap.

That's what the 2.5 year old was in. 24 pounds. Ok. Mom's on a tight budget, so I didn't fight with her in the least on that. One twist of the stalk, lock the belt, and mom had it in solidly.

The 5.5 year old (she and Piper had seen each other for all of one minute before they were hugging away, when I next saw them they were playing dressup as ballerina princesses with Wonder Pets on the TV) was in a Turbobooster. She's 55 pounds, so not a problem. Mom sometimes locked the belt. I just put the headrest up.

The seat that had the mom most concerned was her 19 month old's. And, as it turns out, rightfully so. The seat was bought used with an unknown history. It was an AOE from 2004. Or some sort of 3 in 1, I still don't know which one is which. No nice padding or levers for the headrest. Anyway, not only was it used with an unknown history, it was missing its LATCH and top tether, and it had a recall on it. So, Mom is getting a new seat next month when her finances allow it. We installed her littlest one back RFing, so the recall (the harness can come loose in a collision) will be less drastic since it'll only have to catch the rebound rather than the initial. She'll probably get a Scenera next month, or an Uptown if she can find one (they're not exactly common here, I have yet to see one).

All in all quite productive. :) The kids stayed up in her apartment with her sister, so we had about 50 minutes outside working in her car. We moved her baby from the passenger side to the driver's side to make it easier for her to buckle in the booster. The seat has a 60/40 split and so the booster is now on the 40 part.

The mom was tickled to hear that we had been wondering what she had based on her description. We.Are.All.Such.Geeks.

hehe Thanks all!

Wendy

I was going to say a Cosco hbb, I had one of these before i knew about the 3 twists of the female end buckle, and it dug into the child's back. I sold it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC