Carseat video in my class today

Jordynsmama

I took a preventative healthcare class today for my childcare license and it is about stuff most of you know I am sure-
immunizations, safety, illnesses, child abuse and car safety.
We watched 4 videos and one was about carseats. I was amazed at how detailed and long it was, probably 30 minutes. They went over EVERYTHING!

They did all the different seats one by one and the ages and weights in a very detailed manner. They even pointed out that sheild/OHS are not very safe! they talked about the harness being tight, etc.

Then they went over installation for a long time. How it has to be in tight and they showed someone installing all the different seats, the person kneeling on the seat and tightening it and locking it. They showed all the different belts and which ones need locking clips and how to lock it with a clip. They showed how to install with latch. They showed how to tether it and how you can get tether anchors installed in your car.
They talked about putting all children under 12 in back and what could happen if not-showing crash tests.
They showed a seat that harnessed to 60 lbs and said "if you only have lap belts in your backseat this is the seat for you":thumbsup:

They showed tons of crash tests-even one with the carseat not tightly anchored, they showed one with a tether and without, and one with or without a booster, and one with a shield booster and how horrible they are-

They showed tons of kids modeling how they "didn't" fit in a seatbelt alone-even older kids 7-10 yrs. They showed how if it didnt fit them properly they must be in a booster seat, even if they are 10.

The best is there detailed information regarding Rear facing. They stressed many times that the kid has to be one and 20 lbs at least. They showed a 28 lb 10 month old and said "he still must be rf" They said "many kids are turned around too early and its very dangerous" Then it showed a crash test with a child rf vs ff and how much safer rf is. They even pointed out "some seats rf to 30 lbs, check your manual"

The end said "read your manual"

then this girl in the class said she took her dd to a carseat check and they told her she should keep her rf until she was at least 2. :thumbsup:

I was VERY impressed. I even learned some stuff!

The author was Annmarie someone.....I think it was made about 5-6 yrs ago-

ADS

CRS

Senior Community Member
How would one get their hands on this do you think? I would absolutely love a copy!!!

CRS

Senior Community Member
Was it Anne-marie Shelness? And was it called "Don’t Risk Your. Child’s Life"?

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Being 2004 could it be a little outdated now?

I think i have seen bits of this vid in the past.

JM said she thought it was 5or years old, so I am guessing this is probably it. I don't know that I want to pay that price for an outdated video. Maybe she has an updated one.

JM said she thought it was 5or years old, so I am guessing this is probably it. I don't know that I want to pay that price for an outdated video. Maybe she has an updated one.

I'd consider a newer one too, but after postage and conversion for a video it might be too much (and not all seats would be sold here). I would love to play it at the local lecture room that I could hire.

Jordynsmama

Was it Anne-marie Shelness? And was it called "Don’t Risk Your. Child’s Life"?

YES! that's it! and yes it is a bit outdated which was my only issue-which was why I was surprised it was so good. The seats looked a tad old-but the point was made.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I'd consider a newer one too, but after postage and conversion for a video it might be too much (and not all seats would be sold here). I would love to play it at the local lecture room that I could hire.

I forgot anout the fact they are probably all US seats. I think it owuld be to much also.

Quite a lot for a vid. They should air it free, and charge instructors the cost + a percent fee and have a rate for techs to buy them. Anyone else pays the cost + price.

CRS

Senior Community Member
Ouch, $80, that's quite a bit, still sounds like an awesome video but.

tjham

I found This. I'll bet that is it.

It lists these prices. A bit less than $80.

Don’t Risk Your Child’s Life VII
21 minutes
One ½-inch VHS or DVD. . .$ 62.00 ea.*
2-4 copies . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55.80 ea.*
* Shipping & Handling for up to 4 copies $6.50
Please request price list for discounts on larger
quantities and for shipping costs

Looks like this is the seventh edition so they must update it occasionally!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
It lists these prices. A bit less than $80.

Don’t Risk Your Child’s Life VII
21 minutes
One ½-inch VHS or DVD. . .$ 62.00 ea.*
2-4 copies . . . . . . . . . . . . . 55.80 ea.*
* Shipping & Handling for up to 4 copies $6.50
Please request price list for discounts on larger
quantities and for shipping costs

Looks like this is the seventh edition so they must update it occasionally!

Thanks. I had for got about this :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC